TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Avoiding the curb when parking head-in without Air Suspension

Discussion in 'Model S' started by RLC3, Jun 19, 2018.

1. RLC3

RLC3 Member

Our Model S does not have air suspension. When we are parking head in, the ultrasonics do not detect curbs high enough for us to hit or scrape on. And for some reason, perhaps related to the nosecone on the front, it's pretty difficult to estimate when we might hit the curb. We've scraped the paint more than once because of this.

Is it normal for the ultrasonics to not see curbs, or could we have a maladjustment? And are there any tricks you have for cozying up to the curb without hitting it?

2. Snow Drift

Snow Drift Slip Start: [Activated]

Like any car, pull in and stop befitting hitting. Once you think you’re in and could go a little closer DONT. Just stop.

After a few attempts you should get used to the car.

3. kdday

kdday Member

• Informative x 1
  4. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Weee!

• Like x 1
  5. S4WRXTTCS

S4WRXTTCS Active Member

Yeah, the ultrasonics don't always detect.

What I find really frustrating is why there isn't a standard curb height.

Instead there are curbs it will clear, and curbs it won't clear. The car is so long that sometimes I've gotten out to go look before pulling in all the way.

6. g1000x

g1000x Member

Honestly, I’ve found it easier to just reverse into every spot. The rear camera and guide markers make it dead easy.

• Like x 2
    • Love x 1
  7. Kalex

Kalex Member

Summon is your friend
    I pull in close enough to the curb, check the rear camera, and if I see the start of ty he parking space lines, it's good. If it's still short, I summon the car in.

• Like x 2
  8. animorph

animorph Active Member

My ultrasonics seem to be doing better now, but I still don't trust them. They definitely don't pick up the low step-up in my garage.

I driven plenty of low cars without any parking help before my X and am used to watching for curbs. Turns out the X is shorter than I think it is. I'm usually 24" away from the curb when I think I'm much closer. And the ultrasonics have been saying 24", so I guess I'll start trusting them more. Of course the X is less likely to run into a curb than the S if I screw up.

9. demundus

demundus Member

I reverse in everywhere, the car is long as heck. I pulled in forward once at work and tapped someone like an idiot... never done that before in my life. Resumed backing in everywhere.

10. croman

croman Active Member

I use ultrasonics. They are just fine but drop out for the last 6-8" for lower curbs. I get out and check how it went and if its short then I use summon to go that final bit but you've gotta be quick with the keyfob or else touch a door handle or it will ram the curb like you were trying to avoid in the first place. I will usually walk towards my destination while watching the car and stopping it (and then locking it). It usually takes 20 seconds since its a short summon.

11. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

I also back in everywhere, since it's easier to see when driving out. But I'm also getting the front camera for when it's a must to park front first. Can't have too many cameras! :D

• Like x 1
  12. Mjsais

Mjsais Member

I have a 2013 S85 pre parking sensors, coil suspension. I had a sensor called “Curb Alert” installed. It works great at preventing this issue.

13. phaphaphooey

phaphaphooey Member

I have the same problem as many others posting in this thread. So, I am picking up the front camera mod so I can park confidently and not have the rear of the car hanging out of the parking spot out of fear of pulling in too far and scraping the front.