Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Avoiding the curb when parking head-in without Air Suspension

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Our Model S does not have air suspension. When we are parking head in, the ultrasonics do not detect curbs high enough for us to hit or scrape on. And for some reason, perhaps related to the nosecone on the front, it's pretty difficult to estimate when we might hit the curb. We've scraped the paint more than once because of this.

Is it normal for the ultrasonics to not see curbs, or could we have a maladjustment? And are there any tricks you have for cozying up to the curb without hitting it?

Yeah, the ultrasonics don't always detect.

What I find really frustrating is why there isn't a standard curb height.

Instead there are curbs it will clear, and curbs it won't clear. The car is so long that sometimes I've gotten out to go look before pulling in all the way.

My ultrasonics seem to be doing better now, but I still don't trust them. They definitely don't pick up the low step-up in my garage.

I driven plenty of low cars without any parking help before my X and am used to watching for curbs. Turns out the X is shorter than I think it is. I'm usually 24" away from the curb when I think I'm much closer. And the ultrasonics have been saying 24", so I guess I'll start trusting them more. Of course the X is less likely to run into a curb than the S if I screw up.

I use ultrasonics. They are just fine but drop out for the last 6-8" for lower curbs. I get out and check how it went and if its short then I use summon to go that final bit but you've gotta be quick with the keyfob or else touch a door handle or it will ram the curb like you were trying to avoid in the first place. I will usually walk towards my destination while watching the car and stopping it (and then locking it). It usually takes 20 seconds since its a short summon.

I have the same problem as many others posting in this thread. So, I am picking up the front camera mod so I can park confidently and not have the rear of the car hanging out of the parking spot out of fear of pulling in too far and scraping the front.