Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AWD delivery thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just spoke with my buddy in Boston. He reserved July, 2016 and ordered his red AWD in June 27, 2018. He has a delivery scheduled for next week. I'm an April 1, 2016 reservationist with no delivery scheduled in the bay area. WTF?
Blue AWD, white interior, aero.

I'd agree that the white interior is probably the holdup in your particular case, but it sure seems like the VINs / delivery dates getting handed out today are all over the map with respect to reservation date. I get that Tesla is batch-building AWD configurations by color, wheel type and interior, and that delivery center location and throughput are other potential constraints.... but unless the production batches are huge and monolithic in terms of paint + wheels + interior, I wouldn't expect the order queue to be so far along that July 2016 and June 2018 reservations would be getting VINs today. Maybe there's another factor at play (e.g. payment type)?

FWIW, I'm also in Boston, reserved 3/31/2016 11:30am, ordered 5/23/2018, and my order hasn't gone anywhere in over two months. I suspect if I had ordered aero wheels instead of sport wheels, I would have received a VIN earlier this week, based on other blue+aero+AWD VINs I've seen assigned to Boston-area orders who reserved just after me at the same store. There haven't been many blue+sport+AWD VINs assigned in general, but, for whatever reason, none of the ones that *have* been assigned have gone to anyone in New England, even though the reservation times are post-reveal or April 1st. Baffling... yet oddly consistent within my geography.

I'd agree that the white interior is probably the holdup in your particular case, but it sure seems like the VINs / delivery dates getting handed out today are all over the map with respect to reservation date. I get that Tesla is batch-building AWD configurations by color, wheel type and interior, and that delivery center location and throughput are other potential constraints.... but unless the production batches are huge and monolithic in terms of paint + wheels + interior, I wouldn't expect the order queue to be so far along that July 2016 and June 2018 reservations would be getting VINs today. Maybe there's another factor at play (e.g. payment type)?

FWIW, I'm also in Boston, reserved 3/31/2016 11:30am, ordered 5/23/2018, and my order hasn't gone anywhere in over two months. I suspect if I had ordered aero wheels instead of sport wheels, I would have received a VIN earlier this week, based on other blue+aero+AWD VINs I've seen assigned to Boston-area orders who reserved just after me at the same store. There haven't been many blue+sport+AWD VINs assigned in general, but, for whatever reason, none of the ones that *have* been assigned have gone to anyone in New England, even though the reservation times are post-reveal or April 1st. Baffling... yet oddly consistent within my geography.

Maybe configured date?

Maybe configured date?

Some who configured after June 26th have received a VIN, while many who configured in May have not, so configuration date does not seem to matter that much. In Troy's spreadsheet, the breakdown for AWD configurations is about 60 pre-6/26 and 750 on 6/26 or later. The first group has 17 VINs assigned, while the latter group has 22 VINs assigned. That's roughly in line with the breakdown I'm seeing with the ~85 AWD VIN assignments that I've been logging for the past few weeks.

In general, reservation date has correlated a lot more closely to VIN assignment for a given color+wheel+interior combo, but the outlier VIN assignments we've seen today are a distinct break from that relationship. I guess we'll have to see whether that pattern continues...

It begins. Was scheduled to pick my car up on Monday. Got the call from the delivery center that the truck carrying the vehicle broke down and that they'd be able to get me in Wednesday the earliest. Because of other commitments at work, I have to wait until next Saturday for delivery :(

No more delays please!

Reserved: in-store, pre-reveal (non-employee,) Fort Worth, TX 3/31/16 10:50 AM
Originally Invited: 3/23 but deferred for AWD
Re-invited: 5/23/18
Config: 6/7/18 (LR AWD / Non-P / Aero / MSM/ EAP)
ISA contacted me w email but no VIN: 8/3/18

Car is built and I can take delivery of it in two weeks after payment is made, but price went up $1000 over night.

Anyone else seeing this on their order?

Reactions: Glamisduner

Car is built and I can take delivery of it in two weeks after payment is made, but price went up $1000 over night.

price had better not go up!

Uh, they raised your price after you put $2500 down based on the price at the time of configuration? This is in your final sales contract?

How much does it show? I should be $61,000 for you based on your config date when AWD was at $5000.

$35000 base
$5000 PUP
$9000 LR
$5000 AWD
$1000 MSM
$5000 EAP
$1000 Delivery and Doc Fee

I see the price went up for a new order, but in my order summary cost details it reflects the 4K DM cost instead of the 5k. Now it would cost 60k including 1k destination and doc fee, but mine adds up to the 59.

View attachment 322439 View attachment 322440 View attachment 322441
Yep and if you have the newest version of the tesla app you can now log in. You can view the instruction videos and access the new referral “loot box”

Did any of you shift to cash to move to the new confirmation screen? Or did it just switch on its own? Trying to decide if I should change it to cash and then tell my advisor I want to finance. Still have the old screen.

I swi

Glad you posted this! Mine is:

3/31/16 Reservation 12:00pm
Ft Worth, TX NonOwner
4/10/18 Invite
6/27 configured AWD, MSM, EAP, 19s
7/23 added white interior

No VIN yet, no contact. It does seem they are moving along. Can you post when you have a VIN?

There were a steady pattern of AWD Non-P Vin assignment with respect to reservation date (within a given config) up until the past couple of days. Now it seems like it has turned into the same ordeal as RWD, with people waiting 70+ day for VIN while others wait a week within the same area. Idk, maybe there is logic behind the madness? I keep thinking today is the day and its been a whole month :(

Throwing out another data point:

Non-owner
CT
Reserved afternoon of 3/31/16 in store
Original Invite 4/10/18
Configured AWD 6/26/18
MSM, AWD non performance, EAP, aeros
Sep-Nov delivery estimate
Edit button disappeared along with a new request for loan details on 7/30 or 7/31
Per the VIN decode trick, have a VIN (65xxx)

Now have a delivery date, 8/20 in Mt. Kisco!

Bit the bullet and sat on hold for almost 1.5 hours. Luckily I work from my desk at home! Here are my takeaways:
1. Delivery Advisors are assigned 4-6 weeks after the order.
2. White interior won't affect delivery date (unless they run out of parts). The color batching is based on external colors. As vehicles move down the GA lines, they get the particular configurations added on. This comports with what I saw when I toured the factory and watched a little Model S/X assembly.
3. He sees my email regarding the white interior change, just hasn't gone to the correct department to be reflected on my account. They are swamped. Don't panic.
4. I get the pricing from when I ordered (not the new increased pricing).
5. DAs appear to be the catalysts for moving delivery along. They get all the paperwork and match you to cars. Cash makes things go more quickly, less paperwork and transactional hassle.
6. Delivery order does reflect reservation dates, but so also do order dates, location, configuration. Any of those factors can make something unexpected happen (like my lucky-a$$ buddy that will get his car before me in Boston!).

I hope I'm not telling all y'all things that you already know.