Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AWD delivery thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They will contact you, just be patient.
I'll tell you why I'm a bit gun-shy to merely wait for stuff to happen correctly.

I was one of a small group of in-store reservers who were skipped over during the process of opening the ordering. Does anybody (who was not in this missed group with me) recall?

The folks who stood in line to reserve were seeing ordering being opened in a somewhat logical order. Then some folks who waited until after the reveal began to report that they were allowed to order. And this small group of us line-standers still had not seen an invite. A tweet about that concern to Musk was answered (I'll look into it) and in less than 48 hours, our group was opened up to order. It doesn't appear that this would have happened without Musk being alerted to the fact that post-reveal reservers were being allowed to order before some of the line standers.

So... a little bit of this delivery process feels the same to me. People who live in my same town, and who have reserved and ordered AFTER me, and are buying the same car... have already taken delivery.

Oops. I said I was done whining...

I'll tell you why I'm a bit gun-shy to merely wait for stuff to happen correctly.

I was one of a small group of in-store reservers who were skipped over during the process of opening the ordering. Does anybody (who was not in this missed group with me) recall?

The folks who stood in line to reserve were seeing ordering being opened in a somewhat logical order. Then some folks who waited until after the reveal began to report that they were allowed to order. And this small group of us line-standers still had not seen an invite. A tweet about that concern to Musk was answered (I'll look into it) and in less than 48 hours, our group was opened up to order. It doesn't appear that this would have happened without Musk being alerted to the fact that post-reveal reservers were being allowed to order before some of the line standers.

So... a little bit of this delivery process feels the same to me. People who live in my same town, and who have reserved and ordered AFTER me, and are buying the same car... have already taken delivery.

Oops. I said I was done whining...

I just got off the phone with them, and got a different answer than last week. They said I've been matched to a car and it is on its way to the east coast, but they don't have my VIN, and I should be hearing from my delivery advisor this week. Strange. I wonder if they just use a RNG to see what script they are supposed to say or if it is actual truth.

Oh it is? Just curious where you got this insider knowledge? Not sarcasm. Seriously, what is your evidence for this?
Tell you what, count up the number of day 1 and day 2 reservations without a VIN and divide by 5500. That'll answer your question.The 10,500 VINs are predominantly AWD. Performance you say, yeah, about a 15:1 AWD non-P to P ratio. I believe when I did that exercise I got 500+ day 1 day 2 non delivered reservations. YMMV even if you go with a 10:1 actual reservations to reported in spreadsheet that's still about a weeks worth of production...

I just got off the phone with them, and got a different answer than last week. They said I've been matched to a car and it is on its way to the east coast, but they don't have my VIN, and I should be hearing from my delivery advisor this week. Strange. I wonder if they just use a RNG to see what script they are supposed to say or if it is actual truth.
Same here. Got the same answer and east coast here too. Pearl white. They said that “it shows a check mark here for vin assigned”. Maybe we’re in the same batch.

For those who are hearing you have a VIN assigned, can you please say what happens for you when you go to the:

Tesla SSO – Login

Screen? (Obviously entering your RN)

It will show the same thing as when you go to the main page and click "TESLA ACCOUNT" on the top. Of note is you will also go there if you put the wrong reservation number in that edit-design URL so you need to double check to make sure.

Screen Shot 2018-08-12 at 6.01.45 PM.png

I land on my login page, it shows my RN and a pic of my car, as configured,and has a black MANAGE button

2 questions to verify the results...

1) Were you already logged into your Tesla account on your default browser you were using? (When I’m not, that is the screen it takes me to. When I am, it takes me to the edit design screen.)
2) just to be sure, you did change the link to your personal RN number, correct? If not, the link only seems to get to that page you describe for me.

2 questions to verify the results...

1) Were you already logged into your Tesla account on your default browser you were using? (When I’m not, that is the screen it takes me to. When I am, it takes me to the edit design screen.)
2) just to be sure, you did change the link to your personal RN number, correct? If not, the link only seems to get to that page you describe for me.

Um, yes, Firefox is pretty good about remembering authentications. Actually, so is Google on Android. Here's the thing on point two...what shows in your post is a hyperlink or anchor "Tesla SSO - Login"
This is the longest amount of time (today) I've spent on this site...every. My conclusion, an awful lot of entrail readings or tea leaf readings going on. I reserved a year ago, ordered on 6/29. I would be surprised if I did not get a VIN this month. Getting financing done and trade-in pics and CarMax estimate done will take a week or so. My understanding is shipping the car to Dedham (south of Boston on base of 128, would take a week. Prep, 2 days. I'd expect to have possession of the car mid Sept.
One of the things that perturb expections and entrail readings is what Tesla did with RWD before 7/1 (warehousing all they possibly could to slide 200,000 into Q3. Consequently starting 7/1 they shipped that warehoused bulk of RWD out en mass. So that skewed the numbers. Now, presumably, they are working on exhausting the AWD backlog from 2 1/2 years ago. I big end of March, first of April count. After that it's 'manageable' numbers. and they opened the gates to everyone to configure. This means there is now a huge backlog of configured to delivered, whereas prior to 6/28 they throttled invitations to not flood the production capacity. Finally, we are dealing with self reported numbers that may or may not accurately reflect what's occurring in Freemont. I think human nature supports someone dutifully reporting a reservation, maybe a config, maybe even a vin and, MAYBE a delivery. I suspect human nature what it is, once a buyer is notified their car is enroute reporting to a common spreadsheet is less of an imperative. I sense is if for those day 1 and 2 reservation holders, you'll have your car before labor day. If you just ordered it, end of year best case.Tesla says they are trying to go by reservation. For those not reserving, consider your reservation date, your order date.

There are a billion threads I'm posting this, but I guess it doesn't hurt.

I'm finally moving a little forward. My grey dots became yellow and my edit link is gone. No VIN, documentation, or email from Tesla yet.

3/31 line waiter
Ordered 5/23
Changed to Blue from MSM 5/24
Added FSD 8/1
LR AWD PUP Blue exterior Black interior Aero rims

Just phoned Tesla, late Sunday afternoon, and was in the wait queue about 50 min. The kind and cheerful rep said that my account info looked good and that they were seeing a lot of people get their cars in the first of their three-month estimated delivery span. That would be Sept. for me:)

I've an electrician coming tomorrow to help me get charging into the garage. That will be a process...

He said that once I've a vin with a value other than null;-), I should be assigned a delivery advisor within a few days, and the rest of the process to delivery takes about 3 weeks. Hmmm, maybe October. Well, I should have the charging station wired in by then.

My configuration:
Reserved: July 2017
Ordered: 6/29/18
Config: LR, AWD, Red, Black Int, 18" aeros, EAP, FSD capability
Vin null
Delivery scheduled Sep - Nov ‘18

There are a billion threads I'm posting this, but I guess it doesn't hurt.

I'm finally moving a little forward. My grey dots became yellow and my edit link is gone. No VIN, documentation, or email from Tesla yet.

3/31 line waiter
Ordered 5/23
Changed to Blue from MSM 5/24
Added FSD 8/1
LR AWD PUP Blue exterior Black interior Aero rims

Similar-ish. I happened to notice the grey dots go yellow yesterday. Filled in the financing information and uploaded pictures. It's a little complicated for me as I'm in Philadelphia and my car is in SW Virginia. My husband took pictures for me--only took three tries and he still didn't get the 'rear from an angle' shot. I uploaded the 'straight up the rear' shot anyway as there was a 'warning' that all pictures must be uploaded in 24 hours.

So, in my case:

Reservation: 5/30/2017
Configured: 7/19/2018
Blue AWD, Non-P, black interior, aero wheels (no EAP, and never changed configuration)
Delivery: Richmond, VA
Edit button removed: 8/11/2018
VIN:
delivery date:

No calls or emails yet. I'll call Tesla tomorrow to see about a VIN, then I'm calling my credit union tomorrow to start the ball rolling with/without a VIN as much as possible.

I'd actually prefer pushing this into October if possible as my electric is being difficult to set up (running power to a detached garage and we have underground service). Plus I'm out of town now, and again later in August through the first week of September. I read on the internet (so it must be true) that they don't accept power of attorneys for pickup so I can't just send my husband. I also live 180 miles from the nearest delivery center so have to plan around work. Getting pretty excited though with the change in my account!