Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AWD delivery thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All cars come with the required hardware as all cars contribute to the neural network.

That's great.

it has literally nothing to do with what I said though.

He agrees with me that FSD is entirely software.

He still claims that adding it after the car is built (but not delivery) means I lose the VIN I have assigned and I go back into the queue for some other car at some unknown future date.

That sounds like, and rightfully so, Tesla is cracking down on people fornicating with their orders. It doesn't require additional hardware period. However if you subsequently want it then yes, the price goes up. And that is explained right on that order page.

Except, not.

Because what the page actually says is the price goes up after delivery

I'm asking them to add it before delivery.

And the delivery advisory is telling me he literally can't add it at all without me losing this car and going back into the queue.

His statement makes no sense. We both agree it makes no sense. But I have no way to make him add it if he refuses, which is what he's doing.

As for second / third hand information from what allegedly Tesla reps are telling people, I can't comment.

I'm reporting what I was personally told. No 'alleged' happening at all. I can forward you the actual tesla email if you're really that dubious.

My Actual Tesla Delivery Advisor said:
I’m not able to add Full Self Driving before Delivery. I know that it’s software but with this change they reassign the vehicle. I don’t know how long this would delay us

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: TechSavvyWife
@Knightshade don’t try to get @wcorey to see your point by making sense, or he’ll add you to his ignore list! Oh wait, that’s a good thing. (I’m on his ignore list. Or at least I hope I am so my posts won’t be among those he trolls.)

Anyway, this b.s. about giving up your VIN to add EAP is unreal. Are you at the stage where you’re communicating with the actual delivery center? Maybe when this clown hands you off to them you can request it. Alternatively, ask to talk to this guy’s supervisor (ideally with examples of customers who were permitted to do this)?

Reactions: NOLA_Mike
Because of white interior.. I've been reading about stories similar to his and know a guy with a similar story local to me and the common denominator between all of them was white interior + aeros

I finally broke down and on Sunday added white interior to my aero build. I just hope I didn't wait to long until after all the others got taken. I really think they over made the white interior with the non p for a week or two before they realized they over produced for demand.

It actually makes sense how they messed up though. Apparently white interior had like a 75% take rate on the P model. I think they made a lot of whites for the non-P thinking it would be the same thing.... wrong. There is only like a 15% take rate on white with the non P model.

So there was some extra made that need assigned.

White interior with 18" is getting VINs / deliveries, but not with 19" here:

upload_2018-8-28_23-42-51.png

(first dates are AWD, 2nd are Performance)

For what it's worth, I was told when I called to ask that you cannot add FSD anymore once a VIN is assigned. I know you were all up in arms about me post it before (knight) but that's the line that they're taking. You maybe could escalate it and get your way but the policy in place is that they want you to edit the config before VIN regardless if the hardware is there and it's just a software switch. Doesn't really matter why. That's what they're telling the world when we call.

@Knightshade - +1 with what dave999z said. Be polite and respectful, but firm with what you want. Ensure that you're speaking with the "right" people and do it soon enough that if they do have to "put you back in the queue", you still have time to get another "at bat" before 12/31 deadline (if you're interested in obtaining the tax credit). You're spending ~$60K for a car, get what you want.

Reactions: gtbuzz
Hello everyone! First time ever posting on this forum, first put down $1,000 on April first, 2016 and ordered it June 30th, 2018 in order to have premium connectivity for life. Got a call a week and a half ago and have put a down payment already and my pick up is this Thursday August 30! (MSM, Non-p, long range AWD, EPA, Black premium interior) I named her S’|’orm.

Ever since I’ve heard about Tesla vehicles I’ve wanted one, I currently own a Honda S2000 (picture attached), which sadly I believe I’ll have to sell which will be a sad day. Deciding on parting it out myself as I’ll get much more value for the car. I own it but the insurance is too much for a car I’ll hardly ever drive.

I must say I’ve been very happy with customer service so far, hoping they don’t suddenly delay my delivery in the next 24 hours lol. But the reason I’m happy apart from this suddenly delivery time (expected was Oct-Dec) is because I had changed my order about 7 times after my initial order.

I was told I could change it as much as I wanted before I got a VIN but did not know your price could change...suddenly the price went up $1,500 after switching and then back to the same setup...the AWD had gone up $1,000 and MSM $500 so I was very upset and tried to get answers from local Tesla store but I had to wait to speak with an advisor. In a matter of minutes he made a claim duento my original order date and they changed it all back to the original pricing without hesitation and then gave me the shock delivery time, so needless to say...very happy.

He also then helped me change my delivery to NJ to get the amazing EV incentive, no sales tax. less than 48 hours to go before my 10:30am appointment time, absolutely can’t wait and looking forward to hopefully meeting a few of you in the future! The S2000 family was incredible, hoping for the same here.

Attachments

• 7B94BAD3-6D21-4480-8094-0CE4BF6BE0BF.jpeg
    7B94BAD3-6D21-4480-8094-0CE4BF6BE0BF.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 47
For what it's worth, I was told when I called to ask that you cannot add FSD anymore once a VIN is assigned. I know you were all up in arms about me post it before (knight) but that's the line that they're taking. You maybe could escalate it and get your way but the policy in place is that they want you to edit the config before VIN regardless if the hardware is there and it's just a software switch. Doesn't really matter why. That's what they're telling the world when we call.

Not disputing what you say (and you weren’t addressing me), but this is just crap on Tesla’s part. As stated above, when ordering, it gave you your delivery estimate and said the price of EAP would be $5k if added before delivery, all part of the same process, which (I think strongly) implies that EAP would be something you can just add at any time, without impacting your delivery date.

WTF is with this company trying to make it difficult for customers to add a $5k option that is practically 100% profit. It doesn’t even have to be installed before you take delivery! They can push it to you later. It’s really shocking how arbitrarily bad they’re treating various customers.

Reactions: webdbbt
Hello everyone! First time ever posting on this forum, first put down $1,000 on April first, 2016 and ordered it June 30th, 2018 in order to have premium connectivity for life. Got a call a week and a half ago and have put a down payment already and my pick up is this Thursday August 30! (MSM, Non-p, long range AWD, EPA, Black premium interior) I named her S’|’orm.

Ever since I’ve heard about Tesla vehicles I’ve wanted one, I currently own a Honda S2000 (picture attached), which sadly I believe I’ll have to sell which will be a sad day. Deciding on parting it out myself as I’ll get much more value for the car. I own it but the insurance is too much for a car I’ll hardly ever drive.

I must say I’ve been very happy with customer service so far, hoping they don’t suddenly delay my delivery in the next 24 hours lol. But the reason I’m happy apart from this suddenly delivery time (expected was Oct-Dec) is because I had changed my order about 7 times after my initial order.

I was told I could change it as much as I wanted before I got a VIN but did not know your price could change...suddenly the price went up $1,500 after switching and then back to the same setup...the AWD had gone up $1,000 and MSM $500 so I was very upset and tried to get answers from local Tesla store but I had to wait to speak with an advisor. In a matter of minutes he made a claim duento my original order date and they changed it all back to the original pricing without hesitation and then gave me the shock delivery time, so needless to say...very happy.

He also then helped me change my delivery to NJ to get the amazing EV incentive, no sales tax. less than 48 hours to go before my 10:30am appointment time, absolutely can’t wait and looking forward to hopefully meeting a few of you in the future! The S2000 family was incredible, hoping for the same here.

You named your car what?? ;) I don't get your avatar....

I'm in the same boat - "convince me, Model 3, that I want to give up the air (roof-less-ness) of driving my Miata!" ;)

Congrats on your order progress, BTW!

You named your car what?? ;) I don't get your avatar....

I'm in the same boat - "convince me, Model 3, that I want to give up the air (roof-less-ness) of driving my Miata!" ;)

Congrats on your order progress, BTW!

Haha just figured MSM is a storm cloud color and it being an electric car it suited it, plus the “T” being the Tesla symbol in “Storm” this S’|’orm.

yea The soft top convertible will definitely be missed during summers...idk what to do, a part of me wants to find a way to keep it.

Thanks by the way, definitely a dream so close to coming true. Can’t wait to plug it in and drive by gas stations and such!!

Reactions: jkirkwood001
I’m sure I won’t and I’m just venting, but I’m actually considering cutting my losses. Part of me wants my $3500 back, to pull this wall connector down and throw it on eBay, and forget about this car. I’d be out what I paid the electrician and a couple hundred bucks hit on the wall connector.

I want the full tax credit. It was a significant factor in deciding to get the car, especially the LR version.

I also want EAP but didn’t include it in my initial order because based on what it said in the order process it seemed not a problem to add any time prior to delivery (for the same price and without delaying things). I do not want to go to the back of the line by changing my order now.

I’m also going to be gone on a honeymoon for two weeks in October right in the middle of my estimated delivery period, and Tesla is completely unreasonable about extending the slightest courtesy beyond holding the car for 7 days (notwithstanding the frequent delays they spring on customers after scheduling delivery). You lose your VIN and get back in line and by all accounts they don’t even put you back in line until after the initially offered delivery date that you couldn’t accept, which makes zero sense. Nor will they let any other authorized person pick up the car for you, except when they occasionally do.

I’m not really looking forward to stressing through the whole Fall as to whether Tesla’s horse sh!t policies and pathetic customer treatment will end up costing me $3750.

Maybe circumstances just aren’t right. Extremely frustrating because Tesla could easily correct these issues with this process if they cared to. Uggh.

This is all rhetorical. Not fishing for sympathy (or insults). Just thought my frustration may help someone else know they’re not crazy if they are thinking the same thing (or that they’re not the only crazy one).

I’m sure I won’t and I’m just venting, but I’m actually considering cutting my losses. Part of me wants my $3500 back, to pull this wall connector down and throw it on eBay, and forget about this car. I’d be out what I paid the electrician and a couple hundred bucks hit on the wall connector.

I want the full tax credit. It was a significant factor in deciding to get the car, especially the LR version.

I also want EAP but didn’t include it in my initial order because based on what it said in the order process it seemed not a problem to add any time prior to delivery (for the same price and without delaying things). I do not want to go to the back of the line by changing my order now.

I’m also going to be gone on a honeymoon for two weeks in October right in the middle of my estimated delivery period, and Tesla is completely unreasonable about extending the slightest courtesy beyond holding the car for 7 days (notwithstanding the frequent delays they spring on customers after scheduling delivery). You lose your VIN and get back in line and by all accounts they don’t even put you back in line until after the initially offered delivery date that you couldn’t accept, which makes zero sense. Nor will they let any other authorized person pick up the car for you, except when they occasionally do.

I’m not really looking forward to stressing through the whole Fall as to whether Tesla’s horse sh!t policies and pathetic customer treatment will end up costing me $3750.

Maybe circumstances just aren’t right. Extremely frustrating because Tesla could easily correct these issues with this process if they cared to. Uggh.

This is all rhetorical. Not fishing for sympathy (or insults). Just thought my frustration may help someone else know they’re not crazy if they are thinking the same thing (or that they’re not the only crazy one).

Sorry to hear your predicament, @dave999z. To address the honeymoon phase (no pun intended), couldn't you add a family / friend "secondary contact"? No, not you preference, but overcomes the restriction...?

Sorry to hear your predicament, @dave999z. To address the honeymoon phase (no pun intended), couldn't you add a family / friend "secondary contact"? No, not you preference, but overcomes the restriction...?

I’m not worried they won’t be able to reach me on my honeymoon. I’m worried they’ll call me three weeks before it and say I have to take delivery during the time I’ll be away or go to the back of the line. And it would really be pushing up on the end of the year then.

I would happily have my sister take delivery if I’m away. Tesla doesn’t allow it. Their policy is everyone listed on the registration must be present at delivery.