Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AWD delivery thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Man, I can't keep up with all the delivery threads.
Tricia, I am so happy for you! I'll have a 2 1/2 hr drive to get mine. Which sucks....however, it'll be a 2 1/2 hr drive home to calibrate the sensors and play with different settings and road types. There will, more than likely, be some 1980's U2 in there somewhere! Let us know how it goes...went.

I doubt it will take that long to calibrate. We picked up our Model 3 with I think 6 or 7 miles on it. As we were in the parking lot driving aroud it to get aquainted with the feel and where things were, it already said it was calibrating. My husband drove it home and said within a very short period of time it was already calibrated and he made use of TACC immediately.

You are absolutely right on that one. I had been waiting over a week for the home delivery team to contact me. Got a phone call yesterday and the Tesla employee I spoke to said he had been trying to text me for a few days. I now have VIN, delivery next week. Temporary license arrived in the mail today. If your still waiting, you might want to change the phone in your profile to one that gets text messages.
As I had said, I, inadvertently, discovered the problem and fixed it then, that was about a month ago. Temporary license, as in driver's license? If I hadn't caught it then, I'd never have received the text last night.
It's been widely reported, also a sociological fact of life, boomers have far more disposable income than any other group. Buying a $60,000+ car requires a substantial disposable income. Boomers also don't tend to be bionically attached to a $1,000 smartphone. So it reflects a bad marketing decision on Tesla's part, not the first, won't be the last.

As I had said, I, inadvertently, discovered the problem and fixed it then, that was about a month ago. Temporary license, as in driver's license? If I hadn't caught it then, I'd never have received the text last night.
It's been widely reported, also a sociological fact of life, boomers have far more disposable income than any other group. Buying a $60,000+ car requires a substantial disposable income. Boomers also don't tend to be bionically attached to a $1,000 smartphone. So it reflects a bad marketing decision on Tesla's part, not the first, won't be the last.
Temporary licence plate/tag.

Man, I can't keep up with all the delivery threads.

I doubt it will take that long to calibrate. We picked up our Model 3 with I think 6 or 7 miles on it. As we were in the parking lot driving aroud it to get aquainted with the feel and where things were, it already said it was calibrating. My husband drove it home and said within a very short period of time it was already calibrated and he made use of TACC immediately.
Tesla guidance is if it doesn't calibrate w/i 100miles notify your service center. I've seen estimates of 1 hr and others of 20 mins, never in a parking lot. TACC is far different than EAP. I don't know for a fact but I believe TACC is there even without EAP. Regardless all that needs is radar which doesn't need calibration, it's more the cameras and ultrasonics. My Prius Plugin Dynamic Cruise Control (Radar assisted) worked out of the dealership's lot. Also, in the owners manual once calibration is complete it says you need to stop and restart the system. All that said, I haven't picked mine up so my information is second hand and from the owners manual. Also...there was a video I saw where calibration seemed to be related to road type, hence driving on different road types, interstate highway, limited access, secondary, side roads. To be sure, I expect it'll be calibrated before I leave NY into CT.

• Disagree
Reactions: SMAlset
We ordered our Model 3 under by husband's account since he was an MS owner so I don't know if this plays into communication on one's order or not but for your online Tesla.com account (not the Tesla App), there is a setting for Communication Preferences. Choices are email, sms and phone (which you select morning, afternoon or evening or any of the three).

• Disagree
Reactions: wcorey
Tesla guidance is if it doesn't calibrate w/i 100miles notify your service center. I've seen estimates of 1 hr and others of 20 mins, never in a parking lot. TACC is far different than EAP. I don't know for a fact but I believe TACC is there even without EAP. Regardless all that needs is radar which doesn't need calibration, it's more the cameras and ultrasonics. My Prius Plugin Dynamic Cruise Control (Radar assisted) worked out of the dealership's lot. Also, in the owners manual once calibration is complete it says you need to stop and restart the system. All that said, I haven't picked mine up so my information is second hand and from the owners manual. Also...there was a video I saw where calibration seemed to be related to road type, hence driving on different road types, interstate highway, limited access, secondary, side roads. To be sure, I expect it'll be calibrated before I leave NY into CT.

Didn't think to take a photo of it but yes, in the parking lot at the Delivery Center we saw the calibration circle and the little blue progress line. Husband pointed it out and then I got in his car for the ride home and he took off in the Model 3. Most of the way home was via a major road or highway but the Delivery Center is located on a smaller road in an industrial park area.

• Disagree
Reactions: wcorey
Ok so I got the text last night. I called this morning and they said it was an error.

Then I called back and said I can take delivery between a certain time on Thurs/Fri. They said they would call me with availability. I called back a bit later said I'm open all day Friday and they magically found a spot for me in the morning at Fremont.

So, I went from being in limbo to appointment on Friday only because I called them. Had I not, it would have probably taken a week longer.

We ordered our Model 3 under by husband's account since he was an MS owner so I don't know if this plays into communication on one's order or not but for your online Tesla.com account (not the Tesla App), there is a setting for Communication Preferences. Choices are email, sms and phone (which you select morning, afternoon or evening or any of the three).
That's interesting! No, mine didn't say SMS at all, just phone or email. They've been changing the user experience a lot. Initially being an prior owner counted..when they were running the initial preorders RWD per Tesla. Once they switched to AWD prior ownership was dropped as criteria. Order and Delivery - Model 3
Also on the calibration see Calibration Period | Tesla
Note: I am not disagreeing with you, merely repeating what I've heard and read. TACC is one full depress on the 'gear shift'. EAP is two.

That's interesting! No, mine didn't say SMS at all, just phone or email. They've been changing the user experience a lot. Initially being an prior owner counted..when they were running the initial preorders RWD per Tesla. Once they switched to AWD prior ownership was dropped as criteria. Order and Delivery - Model 3
Also on the calibration see Calibration Period | Tesla
Note: I am not disagreeing with you, merely repeating what I've heard and read. TACC is one full depress on the 'gear shift'. EAP is two.

EAP includes TACC. From Telsa's website about the Enhanced Autopilot Trial period thru 9/30:

"The Enhanced Autopilot trial provides you with the opportunity to experience our latest driver assistance features for 14 days, at no cost. This includes access to Autosteer, Traffic Aware Cruise Control, Auto Lane Change, Summon and Autopark."

Since we bought our MS in 2017, TACC has always been part of the package.

I was referring to TACC without EAP, yes you get TACC with EAP. It's not clear to me if one didn't order EAP would TACC still work. I believe I read yes. Honestly, it doesn't matter, I ordered FSD which includes EAP and TACC.

If you don't have EAP then you don't have TACC. You just have old regular dumb cruise control.

TACC is part of/included with EAP. It's not available any other way.

Also FSD does not include EAP. It requires EAP. Not the same thing. (that's why FSD AND EAP appear as separate line items on your invoice)

Reactions: SMAlset
I was referring to TACC without EAP, yes you get TACC with EAP. It's not clear to me if one didn't order EAP would TACC still work. I believe I read yes. Honestly, it doesn't matter, I ordered FSD which includes EAP and TACC.

No you need to order EAP to get Traffic Aware Cruise Control. Don't want to mislead people reading this thread and thinking otherwise especially because it will cost them more later to add if they don't pay for it when they place their order. As an owner using it we know what we have and paid for btw.

Did you answer with a simple Yes or No?

Good tip, thanks. I just sent "yes" as my 5th reply to the original text. In all fairness to me, my version of the text said "This is Bill from Tesla" so I figured I had a shot at responding to an actual person. Guess not. :rolleyes:

I figured I had maybe a 50-50 chance at taking delivery this weekend. Troy's spreadsheet has me projected at late October or early November, so it's gravy at this point.

I for one am glad Tesla's trying all kinds of new ways to get cars out the door. Of course they were always going to hit delivery hell--they're in completely uncharted waters, as usual. The shakeup in the delivery process tells me Jerome's actually making a difference.

I am so frustrated and angry I can't even see straight. For the second day in a row, I have had a delivery appointment cancelled.

Posted above, but I was a Cincinnati delivery now scheduled for Friday morning pickup at 9 AM (9/28). Was told by my IDA in Las Vegas that my original delivery (scheduled for today 9/26) was cancelled because my car was "scheduled to arrived sometime today on 9/26". I had no VIN or MVPA but was told no worries, that will be assigned when it arrives at the dealership. Sometime today...

Was just called by the Cincinnati delivery scheduler (Kimberly) was was blunt and to the point: I have no VIN, I have no car, I have no appointment. Every car on her lot is spoken for. Every car coming in that she sees is spoken for. Basically, without a VIN I have no prayer.

So now I have a call into my IDA to try to figure out what is going on.

Meanwhile, I have both a wife and a 12 year old son who have moved into pure fury and rage mode spewing forth every expletive imaginable (well, a PG-13 rated version in my son's case) towards Tesla and begging me to cancel this Tesla debacle and buy a nice new BMW.

And, I'm almost just to the point. I just can't take it anymore. They don't care about me. They don't care about any of us.

Buying a $60,000+ car requires a substantial disposable income.

That helps, but if you keep a car that's paid for and invest/save the $500 a month instead of paying someone else every month, in 10 yrs or less, you can buy a $60000 car. its not what you make, its how you spend what you make. They dont call me c***p B*****d for nothing!! Only other new car I bought was a '92 Saturn which I got rid of when it had192000 miles. I expect this car will last me 20 yrs. Maybe then I will buy what Space X might be offering...

The nice thing about this car is it will still improve after it's left the show room. And I will have it by 9/30 cause they texted me!!

Well I tried the “YES” only reply to the text a few hours ago and still have no reply. I’m so screwed. So now I’m just having fun with it. Replied “Yes, please? :)” to the text just now. Maybe I can make a stressed out Tesla employee laugh a little during delivery hell.

Maybe try sending risqué pictures of yourself.