Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AWD delivery thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Talked to Tesla this morning. Supposedly my car is on the truck in California. They did give me a VIN. So that is good news.

I decided to call in this morning after seeing your comment. Supposedly I have a VIN assigned and the car is in transit! That's all the customer service rep was able to tell me. He said they can't provide VIN until it's within 72 hours of delivery.

Well, I’m happy to report that I’m typing this while sitting at my first supercharger in my new M3D!

I’m 200+ miles from my delivery center, and as of yesterday afternoon, still had no vin assigned. At the advice of a delivery agent, I decided to no longer trade in my current vehicle and just sell at CarMax to increase my odds of being matched. Yesterday afternoon, I had to take a 6-hour Amtrak train, then a 30 minute Uber to a hotel for the night.

I had an 11:30 appointment at Mt Kisco and was planning to arrive about 20 mins early. Literally as my Uber was pulling up to the hotel to take me to the SC, I get a call from Dan at the SC telling me that they are very sorry, but they just found out my car isn’t there. Ugh! 25 mins before my appointment...seriously?!?! I told the guy that I took a long train ride, spent the night and was IN my Uber on the way there. He put me on hold, then said that they would try to rectify it.

The SC was crowded, but not a mob scene. After checking in and waiting about 10 mins, Dan found me and said that they just got a new truck that happened to have a car with my configuration! They needed to prep it, so I had to come back at 1:30. I got lunch nearby and returned to a much more crowded scene. About 3:00, I finally was able to complete my paperwork and get my car.

Love love love it so far! So worth the wait and I’m very glad I didn’t spring for the P... this thing is FAST... I’m coming from a ‘16 Macan S and my spouse drives an ‘18 Panamera 4S. This feels faster than the Panny, even though 0-60 is supposedly a few tenths slower.

What an absolute joke that crew is at Mt. Kisco.

@Dan Detweiler and @windgrins did you guys call the local SC in Alpharetta or the Tesla mothership in Cali today?
I'm on a first name basis with the Alpharetta store. They can't tell me anything. Las Vegas isn't even picking up the phone today. Goes right to voicemail (which I kind of get. They could use a day off.) What number do you call at the mothership?

Dan

I'm on a first name basis with the Alpharetta store. They can't tell me anything. Las Vegas isn't even picking up the phone today. Goes right to voicemail (which I kind of get. They could use a day off.) What number do you call at the mothership?

Dan

I'm with you guys in the "in transit from CA" club. That said, I doubt they can track where specifically it is. Knowing that it's en route is enough for me at this point. Whether it's a few days or 2 weeks, at this point it doesn't matter much. We have cars assigned to us and they will be ours soon. That's the important thing.

wrote this last night (Sunday) but it didn't post:

I’ve been in San Jose all weekend for a high school robotics tournament, close enough to Fremont to detect a trace of that new car smell that has eluded me for so long. Imagine my delight then discouragement when I received a call this morning that my car was ready for deliver today, in Sacramento.

Long story short, I jumped through hoops to be in Rocklin for a 6-8 pm delivery, VIN and everything.

9 pm, no car. No call. Visit to the service center, and guess what? My car is in FREMONT. To be continued...

Part II: Rocklin found a car that matched my order last night, except the 19" wheels and FSD (which can be addressed later). So my family went back to my son's house to wait for the car to be inspected and detailed. About an hour later, I get a call from Tesla in Fremont, saying that my car was ready, could I meet halfway to pick it up? They offered a Uber ride and $100 credit on my Tesla account for the trouble. I asked him to contact Rocklin because it appeared that after two weeks of hit and miss, I now had TWO cars.

I agreed to take the car in Rocklin because it would save travel and time for all parties, but only if my taking that car would not be bumping someone else down the line. Fremont confirmed that the car was FREE. Woo hoo! Free Tesla! Rep quickly clarified that he meant it was not assigned to another buyer. An hour later, we were driving away, 30 minutes before the end of the 3rd quarter.

My first thought was, as I found myself accelerating to 100 mph on the highway entrance ramp while leaving the dealership at 11:30 last night was, "Woo hoo!" Then, "I am in so much trouble."

@TechSavvyWife @ceekz I coach VEX robotics at a local school in Indianapolis. Going on 3 years as a coach, but 3 years before as a judge. Great program
The event in San Jose was an off-season competition and we had a team there from Auburn Hills MI! Thank you for volunteering, your time and expertise is so valuable. My sister's kids attended Gull Lake HS but didn't do robotics (sadly), but I know they host a district event.

Sorry to digress but VEX? Been coaching robotics teams for 15 years now. Even started a non-profit to run all the teams under. Nice to see another coach on here. :D
FIRST/FRC. Team manager - I don't have the background to be a coach. But I do the other heavy lifting (fundraising, travel arrangements, communications, non-profit stuff). The kids make it worth all the effort!
upload_2018-10-1_9-52-44.png

Delivered!

I had a home delivery scheduled on Friday 9/28 for Sunday 9/30 and they came right on time. The car was cleaned but I wouldn't call it detailed. There were some very minor paint blemishes and one kick panel on the interior that had a small puncture wound but nothing that would stop me from accepting the car. I've already notified the service center about all of them to be buffed / repaired.

After my initial rescheduling I was skeptical of how the delivery would go but I have to say it went very smooth. Having it driven to my house and doing the inspection in the driveway sounds like a much better experience than some of the folks that have posted here about waiting hours at a delivery center.

Side note, My build sheet said it was a P3D with FSD, even though I ordered a 3D with only EAP. As others have pointed out, it sounds like they may have just corrected these with a software update in order to get it to me by 9/30.

To those of you still waiting for a 3D or P3D, you won't be disappointed with how the car drives once you get it, all other frustrations aside.

Another week, another call to Tesla to see what the heck is going on. Was told I don’t have VIN or Delivery Advisor now, was confused as I at least had a Delivery Advisor for the last two weeks. Anyhow again the rep said she would escalate my account (for the second time lmao) and that I should hear back from someone in 24-48hrs.

After 2.5 years of waiting I’m reaching a breaking point, the lack of any competency on their part and really the fact that I’m in bureaucracy hell with seemingly no end is really souring me on the whole car.

• Love
Reactions: neroden
Showed up an hour early at MDR and they took care of right away. They wouldn't let me see the car until it's all signed, but since there was only 2 silvers on the lot, and the other was white seats. I knew the one with the black interior was mine. Went over to inspect it while the DA went to get more paper works. Turned out there were many minor paint defects but one major one under the clear coat that they couldn't fix. I will have to bring it into a service center and schedule an appointment for a body shop. I don't mind since it was in the door jam and SC will loan me a Model S or X.

Beautiful photo. Silver isn’t normally a color I like, but it looks gorgeous here.

Reactions: TechSavvyWife
What an absolute joke that crew is at Mt. Kisco.
So what that tells me is someone else that was there because they were told their car was in got shafted because you "took" his/her car. I know it sucks reading that but they don't ship spares. This is why they don't give out VINs and don't provide MVPAs because they can't garauntee you will get a car until you get the car. This makes dealing with banks and credit unions virtually impossible as they don't promise to buy blank paper.

Thank you though for reporting that. I take delivery at Mt Kisco and it's an over 2 hr drive as I have a trade-in. I am not going to do that until and unless they give me a VIN and the CU gets the MVPA as only then will they finalize (commit to) the loan.

Reactions: neroden
So what that tells me is someone else that was there because they were told their car was in got shafted because you "took" his/her car. I know it sucks reading that but they don't ship spares. This is why they don't give out VINs and don't provide MVPAs because they can't garauntee you will get a car until you get the car. This makes dealing with banks and credit unions virtually impossible as they don't promise to buy blank paper.

Thank you though for reporting that. I take delivery at Mt Kisco and it's an over 2 hr drive as I have a trade-in. I am not going to do that until and unless they give me a VIN and the CU gets the MVPA as only then will they finalize (commit to) the loan.

That should hopefully stop happening for the next couple of months now that the third quarter rush is done.

Reactions: neroden and Fiver
I took delivery on Friday of my AWD Red with White Interior 3. Beautiful car with only a couple of minor cosmetic issues I’ve noticed so far (fingers crossed). My appointment was at 1:15, but I decided to go early since I had my kindle with me and I didn’t want to risk being late. Got to the Marina del Rey location via Lyft at 11:30 and it wasn’t the madhouse I expected: a few people were there (and a TON of cars). I walked up, checked in and was told I could pick up my car right then since there was a lull, but I wouldn’t have mobile app access until my scheduled appointment time. Delivery guy took the time to give me a nice overview of the car (most of which I already knew since I’ve been obsessively reading and watching vids of it for months), I cut the check for the remaining balance, signed the paperwork, and drove off. Beautiful experience.