Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AWD delivery thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got no reply to my trade in for a couple of weeks- had to prod my IDA about it several times before he finally got them to do something about it.

No lien on the trade in either.

(and then once I did actually trade it in and pay for the new one the IDA stopped responding to me entirely- I still wouldn't have a car if I'd kept depending on him to get me one)

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
I got no reply to my trade in for a couple of weeks- had to prod my IDA about it several times before he finally got them to do something about it.

No lien on the trade in either.

(and then once I did actually trade it in and pay for the new one the IDA stopped responding to me entirely- I still wouldn't have a car if I'd kept depending on him to get me one)
To be fair, I did mine during the EOQ scramble. I bet they were all hands on deck then.

New to the forum. I joined to get some feedback on people ordering around the same time with a similar configuration. Do you have your car?

I have been calling and reaching out daily since I was texted last week that I was matched with a car for the weekend. This turned out to be false and currently I have no VIN, no delivery adviser, no date and there are apparently no cars in my configuration. There is a Red version of my config however they want today's 1500 difference. I may bend but I'm surprised they wouldn't honor the price at the time I ordered it because they indicated my order seems to have fallen through the cracks. This experience has taught me 2 things: 1) never, ever, pay up front for a position in line because it hasn't mattered and 2) Tesla has a lot of room for improving customer service.

Reserved 12/2016, Ordered 6/29/2018
AWD, Midnight Silver, 19", FSD

• Informative
Reactions: webdbbt and neroden
To be fair, I did mine during the EOQ scramble. I bet they were all hands on deck then.

Yeah my Loan info and Trade Info opened up Monday morning, did the loan stuff right away, did the trade in eval Monday night, submitted.

Nothing... nothing... Called last night, CS chatted some people, said that Mr. Davis was going to gather it all and get it taken care of, asked if that was my DS since I have yet to hear I have one or be contacted, was told currently, but they were going to get me a different DS and I'll hear from them shortly. Have not heard anything yet.

No idea who Mr. Davis is, possibly an all hands on deck person who's transitioning out...

• Informative
The position in line mattered a great deal for folks who wanted first production cars 6-12 months ago... now? not so much.

Item 2 is sure as hell true though :)

FWIW I reserved 3/31/16, ordered 6/26/18, got the "Your car has shipped from the factory!" email on 8/20/18....and finally took delivery 9/30/18 (and only because I had to repeatedly push the process along and pursue different people due to lack of response from inside delivery folks in Vegas).

AWD, Blue, aeros, EAP (with FSD added near the end well after the car moved into "transit")

• Informative
The position in line mattered a great deal for folks who wanted first production cars 6-12 months ago... now? not so much.

Item 2 is sure as hell true though :)

FWIW I reserved 3/31/16, ordered 6/26/18, got the "Your car has shipped from the factory!" email on 8/20/18....and finally took delivery 9/30/18 (and only because I had to repeatedly push the process along and pursue different people due to lack of response from inside delivery folks in Vegas).

AWD, Blue, aeros, EAP (with FSD added near the end well after the car moved into "transit")

Thanks for the insight. I have realized the only way to get any info is to frequently check in, even when someone from Tesla says "I will follow up and get back to you" or promises to get in touch. I haven't had one follow up from the 10+ times I've reached out to them. I am fairly close to pulling the plug, pardon the pun :) , and waiting to get a good experience for my $65K. Fingers crossed something happens soon.

How many of you have/had a trade-in as part of the purchase process? I did the self evaluation nearly a week ago, but have heard nothing from any trade-in advisers. At what point do you get the trade-in offer? How long did you have to wait?
I am in the same boat as you. Its been nearly a week that i completed the self-eval, however i have a lien and not sure if that's the holding point. Been pushing my DA if he can help me out, but in vain. Called the hot-line number on the account and they asked me to hold-off for at-least 5 business days.

• Informative
Just got my vin for delivery next week. 115xxx

That’s good right? Lol
I think for everyone who hears they have a car or have a vin, assume NOTHING is real until and unless you get a call a car is at your service center prepped and ready for pickup. They will hold it no more than a week so that is plenty of time to secure final loan approval.

Thanks for the insight. I have realized the only way to get any info is to frequently check in, even when someone from Tesla says "I will follow up and get back to you" or promises to get in touch. I haven't had one follow up from the 10+ times I've reached out to them. I am fairly close to pulling the plug, pardon the pun :) , and waiting to get a good experience for my $65K. Fingers crossed something happens soon.
Pulling the plug as in bagging the whole purchase or you feel you are close to getting a car. I think the take away from this forum is don't assume anything until you get a call your car is prepped and ready for pickup. If the car carrier hasn't even arrived, it is neither prepped nor ready for pickup.

Pulling the plug as in bagging the whole purchase or you feel you are close to getting a car. I think the take away from this forum is don't assume anything until you get a call your car is prepped and ready for pickup. If the car carrier hasn't even arrived, it is neither prepped nor ready for pickup.
Yes I am thinking about canceling my order and waiting for a better experience or another car. It’s definitely not what I want but for the money the process should be responsive, clear and concise even if it takes longer than expected.

3/31/16 Reservation - 8/13/18 Configured - 10/1 Delivery Appointment - 9/29 Rescheduled Pick up / Fail - 9/30 Picked Up!

Never once spoke to our Delivery Advisor even after a dozen calls and messages. The Delivery Schedulers called many times and were very helpful in keeping us informed. On 9/29, we were at Costa Mesa Delivery Center with paperwork in hand in the waiting area along with may other customers. About a half hour after we sat down, a manager walked to us and said she had good and bad news...the good news was they found our M3d, the bad news, it was in Glendale and we need to com back 9/30 in the AM. Since we were dropped off, they sent a LYFT to take us home and scheduled another for 9/30 AM to take us there. On 9/30, we were about fifteen minutes from Costa Mesa in our LYFT when a Delivery manager called and said our car is still in Glendale, can we come in six hours later. Turned the LYFT around and we went again at assigned time. When we got there they handed us new paperwork with a different VIN. It also said we owed $1652 more??? The replacement had Sport Wheels. After talking to a manager, the wheels were included at the original price!! Less than fifteen minutes later, we were explained about the car and driving home. Extremely satisfied with results and the M3d

M3d, White / Black, EAP, Sport Wheels.

I am in the same boat as you. Its been nearly a week that i completed the self-eval, however i have a lien and not sure if that's the holding point. Been pushing my DA if he can help me out, but in vain. Called the hot-line number on the account and they asked me to hold-off for at-least 5 business days.
I did the eval after asking if it would slow down my delivery at all. The reply was no so I sent the documentation in within 10 minutes and they gave a trade in within 2 hours. I own the car so no lien. Sorry that probably isn’t very helpful. Maybe call again? It was the second person I talked to, on the same day, that helped me get mine wrapped up quickly. I think some may just answer without looking at your file.

Yes I am thinking about canceling my order and waiting for a better experience or another car. It’s definitely not what I want but for the money the process should be responsive, clear and concise even if it takes longer than expected.
I totally agree and am in the precise same boat. A few things they should do;
1) if an order is changed the production date should extend - de-incentivize gamers
2) provide weekly status via order page to all outstanding orders - even if nothing changed
3) stop giving status over the phone
4) do not notify of delivery until car is ready for pickup (prepped, detailed) - owner should not discover defects nor should they be notified of date the truck is scheduled to arrive.
5) 3 month window should be narrowed as projected delivery date approaches. If customer delivery slips from Sept to Oct, anticipated window should say Oct, not Sept->Nov. A crude guess means it's way out, an emanate deliver should be reflected on acct page.

Their process should a complete lack of experience or expertise and, IMHO reflects incredibly poorly on the company.

New to the forum. I joined to get some feedback on people ordering around the same time with a similar configuration. Do you have your car?

I have been calling and reaching out daily since I was texted last week that I was matched with a car for the weekend. This turned out to be false and currently I have no VIN, no delivery adviser, no date and there are apparently no cars in my configuration. There is a Red version of my config however they want today's 1500 difference. I may bend but I'm surprised they wouldn't honor the price at the time I ordered it because they indicated my order seems to have fallen through the cracks. This experience has taught me 2 things: 1) never, ever, pay up front for a position in line because it hasn't mattered and 2) Tesla has a lot of room for improving customer service.

Reserved 12/2016, Ordered 6/29/2018
AWD, Midnight Silver, 19", FSD

I have called and the only thing remotely close to info was we are building your car. With Elon raising the cost of Red im wondering if they are doing less batches? I called again today and they said plenty of red on the west coast and no red on the east coast and it will be weeks to get one to NC. Offered me a black car with white seats today. I said no.

Model 3 Red, AWD, PUP, Black Interior, 19's, EAP, FSD, Cash, No Trade,
Reserved: 2016-10-29 /// Ordered: 2018-06-27 8:59pm EST

Last edited:
  • Informative
I have called and the only thing remotely close to info was we are building your car. With Elon raising the cost of Red im wondering if they are doing less batches? I called again today and they said plenty of red on the west coast and no red on the east coast and it will be weeks to get one to NC. Offered me a black car with white seats today. I said no.

Model 3 Red, AWD, PUP, Black Interior, 19's, EAP, FSD, Cash, No Trade,
Reserved: 2016-10-29 /// Ordered: 2018-06-27 8:59pm EST
Don't settle. The red with black interior looks fantastic, paint flaws and all.

Reactions: shanedn and 0mpg
First post here. Mine was delivered on 9/27. The Tesla account page still shows pending delivery and the mobile app doesnt have car linked. ceekz, I read that you have the same issue. Is that fixed for you?
I'm so happy I can finally answer this question because it means my problem might be solved. I was originally scheduled for home delivery but ended up taking delivery at a service center. When the service center changed my status as "delivered" on 9/30, it didn't update my account. Once the mismatch was corrected, the local service center was able to push through the update. Phone app now active!

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: webdbbt and neroden