Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AWD delivery thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Question, when did you get the title to the car to register it??? Mine has been in my driveway for 48 hours and NO response from Tesla about when we can get the paperwork! Going into a long weekend, probably won’t be driving it until late next week. UGH, and there’s a lot of cosmetic issues so as soon as we can drive it, we have to drop it off to get fixed.

Dunno how it works in your state- but here tax, title, registration were fees at purchase and Tesla files the paperwork. You drive off with a 30 day temp tag and wait for the "real" stuff in the mail from the DMV

I did an ACH the day of delivery on a Saturday after I saw my car. No arm twisting needed.

What do we need to do for the ACH while in the DC after checking out the car ? Just login in the computer there and put in our bank A/C details ? or do we have to do thru our bank website/app ? Sounds like the DA will provide the Tesla A/C details to complete the ACH...appreciate the guidance.

I am in the same boat as you. Its been nearly a week that i completed the self-eval, however i have a lien and not sure if that's the holding point. Been pushing my DA if he can help me out, but in vain. Called the hot-line number on the account and they asked me to hold-off for at-least 5 business days.

I called the "delivery hotline" tonight and got some additional info. There is an offer for my trade-in, which is not currently displayed for me on my account. And I was recommended to send in a copy of my title (and a Carfax/KBB estimate, if I wanted to try for a higher amount). Nothing on my account prompted me to do it, so I'm glad I called in. I recommend you do the same - 888-771-2505

• Love
Reactions: neroden
Question, when did you get the title to the car to register it??? Mine has been in my driveway for 48 hours and NO response from Tesla about when we can get the paperwork! Going into a long weekend, probably won’t be driving it until late next week. UGH, and there’s a lot of cosmetic issues so as soon as we can drive it, we have to drop it off to get fixed.
Title, assuming you paid in full for it (not owned by financial institution/credit union) will take time as Title come from the state DMV and it is federally filed. If, by paperwork, you mean MVPA, that, to my understanding, should have been given to you at delivery/closing. If there is a bank/credit union involved THEY retain title as their 'own' the car although you registered it to drive it. Is this your first car?

• Informative
I called the "delivery hotline" tonight and got some additional info. There is an offer for my trade-in, which is not currently displayed for me on my account. And I was recommended to send in a copy of my title (and a Carfax/KBB estimate, if I wanted to try for a higher amount). Nothing on my account prompted me to do it, so I'm glad I called in. I recommend you do the same - 888-771-2505
They do not care about KBB but will match a CarMax. KBB is what you'd get in trade against a car at a commissioned dealership. Tesla is not one of those, they don't discount the car for a feel good bump in trade-in. Tesla wholesales them to an auctioneer.

What do we need to do for the ACH while in the DC after checking out the car ? Just login in the computer there and put in our bank A/C details ? or do we have to do thru our bank website/app ?
I had used ACH from a brokerage account through my Tesla account for part of the purchase price a week or so before delivery just to get that out of the way.

Took a blank check with me for ABA and Account Number reference at Devon, PA pickup. During the paperwork process they passed me an iPad. I signed into my Tesla account and used the ACH part to pay the remainder from our bank account. Payment registered in about a minute, my account page showed $0.00 due. Put the blank check in my pocket and we finished the transaction. Made a point of signing out of my account and closing the browser window before getting up from the table.

My friend who supplied his referral code was with me. He got an alert that he earned a referral credit a minute or two later. We saw Steve Moore, my OA. He took a few minutes to straighten out the delivery address for my friend.

Was staying at a friend's condo out of town when I bought the Model S last year. I was so frazzled I left the checkbook behind. His wife was still home. I told her where to find the checkbook. She texted me a photo of the front of the check and I used that for reference.

Last edited:
You don't need title to register. If it's owned by bank or credit union you need to specify them. You don't have MVPA? that's the, effectively, bill of sale.

Title, assuming you paid in full for it (not owned by financial institution/credit union) will take time as Title come from the state DMV and it is federally filed. If, by paperwork, you mean MVPA, that, to my understanding, should have been given to you at delivery/closing. If there is a bank/credit union involved THEY retain title as their 'own' the car although you registered it to drive it. Is this your first car?
MVPA stamped "Paid", registration card and some other paperwork was delivered by FedEx about a week after delivery. Signed the registration card, put it in the glove box and pulled the temporary tag off the back window. Expect title will show up later.

• Informative
Thanks!

Curious...how are you handling payment? I am loathe to give them any more money until I can physically see and inspect the car and know there are no major issues. I am doing a sizable down payment and the rest financed through my credit union. There is the option to make a payment through my Tesla page for the down payment part. I don't want to bog down the delivery process on the day I get the car so I would like to have everything in hand ready to go when I show up. Would it be best to have my credit union write one big check for the entire balance and then square the down payment with them or do two separate checks...one from me and one from the credit union. I really would rather not leave anything to chance with a transfer on the day of the delivery in case there is an issue at the last minute.

Thoughts?

Dan

I’m in the same boat, financing $30k and paying the rest out of pocket. I’m planning to write them a check for my portion and hand them the CU check for $30k. Totally not giving them any more money until I put my eyes on the car.

New to the forum. I joined to get some feedback on people ordering around the same time with a similar configuration. Do you have your car?

I have been calling and reaching out daily since I was texted last week that I was matched with a car for the weekend. This turned out to be false and currently I have no VIN, no delivery adviser, no date and there are apparently no cars in my configuration. There is a Red version of my config however they want today's 1500 difference. I may bend but I'm surprised they wouldn't honor the price at the time I ordered it because they indicated my order seems to have fallen through the cracks. This experience has taught me 2 things: 1) never, ever, pay up front for a position in line because it hasn't mattered and 2) Tesla has a lot of room for improving customer service.

Reserved 12/2016, Ordered 6/29/2018
AWD, Midnight Silver, 19", FSD

Agreed. Keep calling, always be polite but keep calling. There aren’t many June order left without a VIN, so keep politely reminding them of that and maybe even ask them to escalate it to someone who has the ability to get your order unstuck. At this point they are delivering AWD cars to people who JUST ORDERED A MONTH AGO, so they should be able to get yours going. Just remember to remain polite and keep calling them. Good luck man.

What do we need to do for the ACH while in the DC after checking out the car ? Just login in the computer there and put in our bank A/C details ? or do we have to do thru our bank website/app ? Sounds like the DA will provide the Tesla A/C details to complete the ACH...appreciate the guidance.

I did it from my Tesla account via my phone. It was so simple it didnt feel real lol. Tesla is very accommodating in this regard.

They do not care about KBB but will match a CarMax. KBB is what you'd get in trade against a car at a commissioned dealership. Tesla is not one of those, they don't discount the car for a feel good bump in trade-in. Tesla wholesales them to an auctioneer.

To be fair, it depends on who does the evaluation. While I agree more times than not they will not give KBB value, I was shocked to find they gave it to me on my vehicle.

MVPA stamped "Paid", registration card and some other paperwork was delivered by FedEx about a week after delivery. Signed the registration card, put it in the glove box and pulled the temporary tag off the back window. Expect title will show up later.
Maybe this is what you meant, but doesn't seem what you said and the answer doesn't involve MVPA. Did you finance? If the answer is no, you will get the title from your state DMV after they register it, its, for lack of a better word, a federal thing. Only the owner of record (title holder) can sell the car. If you own it outright yes, you'll get it but it works across state borders such that, for instance, I can't grab your car and sell it out of state. If you move to another state and reregister your car you surrender your title and some weeks later you get a new one from the new state.
Congrats!

To be fair, it depends on who does the evaluation. While I agree more times than not they will not give KBB value, I was shocked to find they gave it to me on my vehicle.
That's great Dan! This is one area I think my DA screwed me. I submitted all the pictures, tires looked brand new..probably less than 5k miles. Car was waxed, one could shave in the reflection, interior was immaculate. Hadn't heard back and this was before end of month push...it was beginning of Sept. DA said he didn't know, it was out for evaluation. He said to speed it along get a CarMax and send it in. I said I had a carmax but the guy there (they gave me a real low ball offer) said Tesla would do better. DA said no, standardly CarMax does $400 better than Tesla offers so, begrudgingly I did send it in. Immediately trade-in was green checked (last of the boxes to check off) but now I am stuck with, what amounts to, a "fair" condition KBB offer. Bird in hand worth two in bush. At this point I am more interested in getting the car that obsessing over a good trade-in. I could sell it locally but then I'd have to hitchhike 128 miles to Tesla missing my window, no doubt. A trade-in saves about $1,000 in taxes. That would put it up to what would have been pretty much a reasonable trade-in even for KBB. (6 yrs old 75,000, 2012 Prius Plugin).

Yeah, it's really not worth the hassle of dealing with private sales, etc. Enjoy the tax break. :cool:
Interestingly enough, Tesla is offering me a little bit more than both KBB and CarMax for "fair" condition. Although, the pics I submitted in the self evaluation probably hide a good number superficial damage (scratches, dents) on our 2010 Acura RDX. I'm actually wondering if at delivery Tesla takes a look at the old car and can change their trade-in offer right there on the spot?