Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AWD efficiency boost with 2019.24.4?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Remember, the only people wondering about an improvement seem to be either AWD or P-AWD drivers. That's not all Model 3 owners. It's just an observation, nothing more.
View attachment 439076

This is an important point with the fleet data being discussed here. If it cannot separate between RWD and AWD owners, then the efficiency improvements would be very difficult to pull out due to the huge swath of RWD models out there (SR/SR+ and early LR).

That specific data I would say that shows no improvement, based on the time periods that are being compared. Even without heat use the car is a bit less efficient when it is cold - not sure why. So that alone would be enough. In addition to any minor heat use in “winter”/ early spring, that would easily explain the difference.

Looks consistent with Stats data.

Air density. Cold air is more dense. Hot air is less dense. Hot and humid is even better. This blog states up to a 12% drag difference between -10C and +20C.

Reactions: MentalNomad
Air density. Cold air is more dense. Hot air is less dense. Hot and humid is even better. This blog states up to a 12% drag difference between -10C and +20C.

That is certainly reasonable for the fleet. Probably explains the overall upward trend in efficiency fleetwide even as temps become unpleasantly warm and people are blasting the AC . I’ve noticed it around town though - even when I am not driving on the freeway, and the losses from other sources dominate. The internal resistance of the battery is lower at high temps too as mentioned above. So that may be a small factor.

Anyone notice a lower range after getting the update?

I only have 3k miles on the car, LR AWD, and usually on a full (90%) charge it states 279 miles, but seems after the update, its saying 273-275 range? 90% of my driving is the same route and that hasnt changed, and the weather has been better than when i first got the car (was in the high 90s every day, its been cooling lately to the low 80s), also Ive tried draining it down to 10 miles and then charging it again to see if the sensor resets, but nope.

And i get that 4-5 miles of estimated range isnt a crazy decrease or anything, just surprised that its happening so early.

Anyone notice a lower range after getting the update?

I only have 3k miles on the car, LR AWD, and usually on a full (90%) charge it states 279 miles, but seems after the update, its saying 273-275 range? 90% of my driving is the same route and that hasnt changed, and the weather has been better than when i first got the car (was in the high 90s every day, its been cooling lately to the low 80s), also Ive tried draining it down to 10 miles and then charging it again to see if the sensor resets, but nope.

And i get that 4-5 miles of estimated range isnt a crazy decrease or anything, just surprised that its happening so early.

Have you adjusted the 'limit bar' either on screen or in the Tesla app since the update? That bar is very sensitive and it's quite hard to get it line up with the lines that indicate the round numbers. Being off by 1 - 2 % (i.e. 3 - 6 miles) is normal. In my case, I thought I set it at 80% but it's actually 82% (254 miles).

If you are hands-on, and don't have paid app or subscription, you may get the exact limit set for your car using any of the Tesla API implementations floating on the Internet. Look for the field "charge_limit_soc" in "charge state".

It's more likely a change in the pedal response curve (softening the first inch of travel where people often aren't super-smooth) than a programmed delay in the electrical side.

That makes more sense. In either case I'm still getting some pretty impressive efficiency numbers. Getting about 250-260 Wh/mi avg with AC, and about 230-240 on the drive train. 20" wheels...

Attachments

• 20190811_104327.jpg
    20190811_104327.jpg
    333.1 KB · Views: 51
  • 20190811_110638.jpg
    20190811_110638.jpg
    438.1 KB · Views: 33
  • 20190811_181252.jpg
    20190811_181252.jpg
    284.2 KB · Views: 34
  • Informative
Reactions: MentalNomad
That specific data I would say that shows no improvement, based on the time periods that are being compared. Even without heat use the car is a bit less efficient when it is cold - not sure why.

Colder air is denser than warmer air and thus has more aero drag. Colder tires have more rolling resistance (and colder weather lowers air pressure as well). These two factors account for the majority of range loss in colder weather that is not due to heater use.