Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AWD efficiency boost with 2019.24.4?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm also wondering if it shows up primarily in autopilot usage versus manual driving (since it might just be an autopilot optimization)

I have an AWD non-P with 18" wheels, and I do not have autopilot - just standard cruise control which I use quite a lot. I just went and checked my Wh/mi and noticed a decrease from my historical average - today's average was 216 and my lifetime has just dropped to 249. This despite the Vegas heat of 100+ that keeps the AC running. The last time I looked at it, it was 253 or 254.

From hypermiling with the old Roadster it is well known that cruise speed control has a large influence. In the case of the Roadster using cruise control as much as possible was more efficient than even an experienced driver could manage. I immediately noted that Model 3 TACC was (in March 2019 in my case) very inefficient. It constantly accelerated and decelerated a little. If that has changed, it could explain the differences noted. I am currently away from my car so I cannot check.

For what it is worth, I am perceiving less throttle tip in from a stand still. It seems the first inch or so of throttle travel has less acceleration than on previous software versions. Could account for efficiency increase I suppose (if its a thing).

The most relevant factor is the nighttime temp, since the battery can be cold soaked to that (if you park in a garage it is less of an issue, but it may still also track the outside temp fairly well).

At Ontario, CA, in May, nighttime temps were in the mid-50s. Notably, last week (concurrent with the rollout!), the nighttime low temperatures were in the high 70s! (July 25th minimum temp was 80 degrees - I remember that unpleasant evening, even in SD). Using your plot above, that is 13C to 26C. That takes internal resistance of the red line (not sure which line would be most representative) from ~120mOhms to ~70mOhms. It's not nothing. I have NO IDEA how much of an impact on efficiency that would have (I don't know how much of the loss is in the internal resistance of the battery), though.

I'm not entirely sure how much loss is in the internal resistance of the battery either which usually is used to determine maximum power capability, rather than energy losses in terms of efficiency. I can't think its a lot though. HVAC losses are the primary impact of reduced driving efficiency though. Temperature also has a large impact on battery capacity, but capacity does not play a part into vehicle efficiency in terms of Wh/mi being discussed here. So I'm not convinced that temperature has a particularly large impact unless weather changed HVAC operating conditions significantly.

The trip meter counts energy usage when you are not in Park, including from the HVAC. If you are sitting in Park, nothing is counted.

Explains a lot! Especially when I used up 20% of my pack parked in a snowstorm up in Big Bear!

I'd recommend checking your Wh/rmi constant and see whether it has changed, too. Hard to do accurately, unless you have a long continuous drive, though. I doubt it has changed, though - you'll get 230Wh/rmi.

I don't have any long drives coming up soon (no more than 40-50 miles) but my running counter is at 340 miles this morning, and still reading 261 Wh/mi which is really good still.

I don't have any long drives coming up soon (no more than 40-50 miles) but my running counter is at 340 miles this morning, and still reading 261 Wh/mi which is really good still.

Someone else chimed once with data showing the constant was still about 230Wh/rmi, so not much reason to fiddle around measuring it again.

In any case, who knows, maybe there is something to Autopilot efficiency improvements. Though I would expect that to reflect in the fleet data, because people who use AP are probably contributing a lot of miles. Stats says ~0.4% driving efficiency improvement since mid-July. Still only 60% installed but that should be sufficient.

Still only 60% installed but that should be sufficient.
What’s the Stats sample size for Model 3? TeslaFi showed over 85% on .24.4 until .28 started rolling out.

0E103114-75A3-40DB-8272-E0FC5FC41AA4.png

I drive the same route about 2 times per week. It is about 227 miles. I have AWD with 19" tires. The speed limit is 75 on most of the route. I have been driving the speed limit or less (a lot less last winter) to keep the range. Lately I have been running 290-295 watts per mile. During the winter I would struggle to keep below 310 with the heat off and driving extra slow on cold days (i.e. when in the 30s drive 55 MPH).

I just finished my first run with 2019.24.4. Efficiency ran 252 watts per mile. The best it has ever done on the route. I have 25k miles on the car (mostly from this route). Was it an unusual confluence of events giving crazy efficiency today? Or did they do something with the new update to boost it up?

The only thing I can think of that might make that big a difference would be perhaps cutting power to the front motor when cruising (not accelerating) at high speeds?

i had service done this thursday and asked them to check software revision....he told me i had 2019.20.4.4
he said this was old and there was an update to 2019.24.4.4
then he said that 24.4.4 was for the Model S

Is that true?

So I got 28.2 update last night. I decided to reset my counter.

So with 24.4 it ended up
529.3 miles | 137 kWh | 258 Wh/m
7/26/2019 to 8/4/2019

I've reset my counter today, but I also FINALLY got my spoiler installed today as well so that might change the numbers a bit.

@AlanSubie4Life I would think at this point (~1.5 weeks), the fleet values for 24.4 should show some type of efficiency change.

I have not noticed a change in energy consumption with recent updates. I got 225 Wh/mi yesterday to and from Philadelphia. That seems in line with what I’ve been getting in the summer.

The Stats app is also not showing a step change associated with recent updates.

D20F1BC1-DC0A-47C7-9AE4-AC509555B2AE.jpeg

I have not noticed a change in energy consumption with recent updates. I got 225 Wh/mi yesterday to and from Philadelphia. That seems in line with what I’ve been getting in the summer.

The Stats app is also not showing a step change associated with recent updates.
View attachment 439003
Yep, Stat does not seem to be showing any sudden change; however, that chart seems to be the aggregate chart, and not a Model 3 specific one.

When I look at the two charts above that one, in the app, I see a change in the peak in the histogram. The left chart is from July 26th, right after I had updated, and the right chart is from today, Aug 7th. It's interesting.
Screenshot 2019-08-07 20.08.46.jpg

Reactions: Zoomit
that chart seems to be the aggregate chart, and not a Model 3 specific one.

Good point. I filtered by Model 3, and since the other three charts did change, I assumed the bottom one did as well. But it doesn't appear to, after swapping around a bit. Kind of a bug in Stats.

That being said, there are a lot of Model 3s and probably they represent the majority of the Stat's user base (no idea). And furthermore, your histograms don't show a huge change (but we also don't know the time interval used to generate the histogram).

So hard to say. The overall average has continued to creep up a percent or so, which is actually surprising to me, since there is probably more AC use right now than there was before, but it's hard to say. It's a small change, if any.

Yep, Stat does not seem to be showing any sudden change; however, that chart seems to be the aggregate chart, and not a Model 3 specific one.

When I look at the two charts above that one, in the app, I see a change in the peak in the histogram. The left chart is from July 26th, right after I had updated, and the right chart is from today, Aug 7th. It's interesting.
View attachment 439042
Averages look basically identical to me.

From hypermiling with the old Roadster it is well known that cruise speed control has a large influence. In the case of the Roadster using cruise control as much as possible was more efficient than even an experienced driver could manage. I immediately noted that Model 3 TACC was (in March 2019 in my case) very inefficient. It constantly accelerated and decelerated a little. If that has changed, it could explain the differences noted. I am currently away from my car so I cannot check.

I noticed it accelerated and decelerated a little too (annoying), but only when following another car that is keeping you under your set speed. If it's maintaining set speed without anyone in front bringing you below your set point it does not do that. I'm not sure how much the acc/dec is really impacting efficiency though. I'm thrilled with the efficiency I'm getting (230 wh/mi AWD on OEM 19" when not using heat) with TACC/AP almost always on, on the highway only.

Redid the chart with a couple arrows pointing at the peak of the bellcurve histograms.

Obviously, not a big change, as the time period is less than 2 weeks. The Tesla overall efficiency chart, Models S, X and 3, that Big Earl posted shows only a 0.4% improvement, from 96.3% to 96.7% in the same timeframe as the chart below, but the chart below shows the peak of the bellcurves to have shifted from ~95% to ~99%. Sort of implies that maybe a small subset of users are getting better efficiency. Look at my efficiency, it's gone from 120% to 129%. That's not a daily instant reading, but an average over the last 4000+ miles. For less than 2 weeks and about 250 miles of driving to have such an outsize influence on my 4000+ mile average seems highly unusual.

Remember, the only people wondering about an improvement seem to be either AWD or P-AWD drivers. That's not all Model 3 owners. It's just an observation, nothing more.
Screenshot 2019-08-07 20.08.46.jpg

Reactions: Jedi2155 and Zoomit
I can only speak to my location driving. There are numerous values that fluctuate daily. School is out/in, less/more traffic, more ability to drive faster/slower . Headwind, tailwind, humidity, temperature equating to lower/higher A/C or heat(I never use heat), construction zones, accidents-stalls impeding travel, weight in vehicle, spirited vs conservative, stop and go traffic, using/not using radio, use of sentry, updates, added aftermarket trim/mud guards, recent changes in tires/wheels, under inflated/over inflated tires, battery health, SoC, rain, road conditions, use of UI (games/stuff), drafting, widows open/closed, EAP/FSD use, regenerative braking, overheat protection. If you are going to attempt a “study” of this issue, there are variables that must be considered. Personally, I’ve noticed no change in my consumption that I would consider “significant” since taking delivery. Do I think about it? No, I just enjoy the ride!

Last edited: