Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AWD front motor sounds

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I realize the audience to respond to this post is currently small - just wondering if anyone has noticed the different sounds the front motor makes. I believe the front has a medium high frequency 'beep' that is regular at mild throttle on the highway and then just becomes a similarly pitched but constant 'whine' under greater load

Generally I have music on and don't really notice drivetrain sounds but today it was radio-silence due to passengers and a conversation onboard.

I do believe the loaner S's we had also make some electric whine sounds, but it's been a while. Also don't recall them having a rhythmic pulsing to them either..
I also hear a very high pitch whining noise from the front motor on my P3D. It usually occurs under heavy loads when I punch it for a continuous period of time when it reaches 45+ mph. I like it because it's almost analogous to a turbine sound of ICE cars or similar to a jet sound as it's getting ready for takeoff. It is a very soft and soothing sound. Did not experience any clicks as others have and if I drive normal there is no sound at all.

Last edited:
FWIW I noticed this high-pitched “beep” immediately in my AWD. It’s most noticeable around 18mph and 35mph. I took it to the Palo Alto SC, and on a test drive one of the techs was able to hear it also. He wasn’t sure if it was normal or not for the 3 since there’s so few of them so far. But he did say from his experience from the S/X the motor noise should be more smooth rather than the pulsating noise mine is making. Because of that, they agreed to preemptively swap out the front motor to see if it goes away. The motor came in last week, and I’m waiting on a loaner car to become available before dropping it off for the swap. Will report back on the results (might be a while though since I have some more paint issues for them to address while it’s there).

Any updates on this? Funny enough I am having the exact same experience with my AWD right down to the paint issues. I have the same loud high pitch pulsating motor noise coming from the front motor when trying to maintain speed from 18-35mph. The tech here in Saint Louis noticed the noise, we compared it to a P3D which didn't have the same pulsating noise. However they are now informing me it's normal. I plan to take a spectrum analyzer into my car and escalate this issue. I will keep the forum updated

Any updates on this? Funny enough I am having the exact same experience with my AWD right down to the paint issues. I have the same loud high pitch pulsating motor noise coming from the front motor when trying to maintain speed from 18-35mph. The tech here in Saint Louis noticed the noise, we compared it to a P3D which didn't have the same pulsating noise. However they are now informing me it's normal. I plan to take a spectrum analyzer into my car and escalate this issue. I will keep the forum updated

No update yet, have been waiting for a loaner car to become available before taking it in. Will post back whenever I have updates.

Some high frequency noises bother me, and I have had my AWD for a few days now.

I haven't fully explored this to map it all out (been enjoying the drive and the sound system too much, frankly) but if I listen intensely with the sound system entirely off I can detect some motor drive whine. At certain lower speeds, particularly with acceleration. However at highway cruising there is nothing perceptible. Whether it's still there or not is hard to say, but the relatively modest wind noise entirely masks it for me.

Total non-issue for me.

Any update from anyone who talked to a service center about the beeping? I’ve had two performance model 3s (long story). First one beeped at 35 mph. Service center in Palo Alto back in July said engineering would check it out but but I never heard back. My second one beeps at 60 mph. Not sure if worth taking in. At least there is more road noise at 60 mph vs 35 mph.

I just got my car back today after a month in the PA service center. They claim they swapped out the front drive unit. The “beeping” is definitely less noticeable but is still there. So I’m starting to think maybe it’s just inherent to the design.

Since I’ve had it in 2/2 of mine, I tend to agree with you. Sorry you lost your car for a month. What speed does your new motor beep at?

I only drove my 3D for a week and heard the motor whining noise when accelerating and decelerating. The noise is coming out from the front. I got a S75D loaner while my car is in service for paint issue and test drove a P3D while I was at the SC, both the S75D and P3D have the same motor whining noise. I think that's normal for dual motor, unless the noise is different and very loud.

Just got my Model 3 back from service for a few items. This specific motor whine/beep was on the list. Took the service tech for a ride to hear the noise and another noise the car was making, and he did say he heard it and would check into it. After diagnosis, I was told it was normal for the motor to make this noise and shouldn't worry. Not a huge deal to me so I won't be pushing it further.

• Disagree
Reactions: Toke_Holledig
Good timing. We just got the car back today, after about a week and a half work of work. The front drive unit was replaced, and the noise is greatly reduced. It sounds more like the normal whine I'm used to from my Model S AWD. Glad we took it in, since it was driving me crazy. They did however send me a nice text message about the car passing Quality Control and that I could pick it up, then I get there and the back seat isn't even installed lol. I wonder what other parts they forgot to reinstall.

Reactions: Toke_Holledig
Nov build AWD. Same high pitched beep noise around 20-40 mph. Looks like it’s common as lots of people are reporting it. However, is it really abnormal? If the unit is replaced with same noise I would rather no bother at all.

I have taken my car in couple months ago for this. They told me it is normal to hear whining at low speeds but should worry about it if I hear it higher speeds too. Just recently I started hearing the whining at 60-65mph. Any higher speed and the sound is drowning with the wind noise so it might be time to take it in again...