Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AWD Long Range w/Autopilot or Performance without?

AWD long range with autopilot or Performance without?

• AWD long range w/autopilot

Votes: 31 54.4%
  • Performance w/o autopilot

Votes: 26 45.6%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since the overall price would be close would anyone choose a performance Model Y without FSD autopilot vs a long range AWD with FSD autopilot? Was curious what your thoughts would be since FSD is still being developed and you can add after you purchase the vehicle. Thanks!

Last edited:
Any Tesla is so much faster than anything you probably have, that the slowest Tesla will impress.
The speed of the Performance just isn't used on a daily basis.
FSD I do use

I’ve been trying to make the same decision, but this seems logical. I’ve got an old Acura TSX that does 0-60 in about 8.5 seconds (or more none that its old), so anything will seem like a super car to me I’m sure.

Reactions: Kelr316
I went for the AWD Long Range. The roads near my home and daily commute aren't the best, so 20-inch wheels and the stiff suspension is going to be a terrible experience.

If I find myself wanting more speed, chances are, there's going to be an acceleration boost option.

As for FSD, I'm on the fence about it, what Elon's showed so far hasn't convinced me to drop the 7 grand for a software update yet.

For me it is about the power train. EV's are about the batteries and the motors. Elon stated they bin the motors and run the break in for performance motors twice as long. One would assume they bin the packs also. Not all chips, boards, motors or battery are created equal; even when put through the same process. One would think in silicon valley all are sorted and classified with top tier go to the higher editions. If you are not getting a better quality power train than the additional cost would obviously not be worth it. As far as self driving that will be fully operational by the end of 2019 ;) and can be an add on down the road if you decide you need it. If you start sending your car out by itself to make you money once the software is stable and the laws allow it FSD may be for you. Know which way I toke but only time will tell.

Autopilot is a promise, not a completed product. Tesla has been charging for this promise for years and no one has gotten the advertised feature set yet. I would remove it from the equation since the TACC has most of the features people need to reduce workload. And should Tesla ship a full function Autopilot in the future you can evaluate it worth, and if you want add it at that time.