Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AWD MSRP???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m curious if anyone else has plated their AWD Model 3? My understanding from everything so far was that the MSRP of the car is $35K. However my state DMV shows the AWD MSRP at $64K! Just curious if anyone has seen this???

MSRP includes all the options. It is the price on the Manroney sticker.

Not the base price.

Maybe other states do it differently but not mine (CO).

First year registration here will be about $1200.

I’m just sharing what other people have posted in my state - that the car MSRP showed as $35K when they registered it. (But maybe I’m the first AWD to register in my state?) I checked the Mulroney sticker that came with the car and there is no MSRP listed. It does have Model 3 - 35K, and then a bunch of options to add to the total.

Something is messed up as @ssaugato paid for his $50k LR based on the $35,000. It is a $2,400 difference over 5 years so it is worth fighting. I just checked mine and it is showing $64,000 and that is more then I am paying for the car.

Got my car registered with the DMV. Hope this stats help. BTW I live in the SID.

Tax District - 1740 Outside Millard
2017 MSRP - $35000
Actual Cost - $50000

Motor Vehicle Tax: $580
Motor Vehicle Fee: $20
CO/RR/DMV/EMS: $5.5
Registration Fees: $15
Plate Fee: $6.6
Spec Fuel Fee:$75 (This is due to no gasoline) seriously ??
Sales Tax (5.5%):$2750
---------------------------------------------
Total - $3452.10

Tax Estimator.JPG

I’m just sharing what other people have posted in my state - that the car MSRP showed as $35K when they registered it. (But maybe I’m the first AWD to register in my state?) I checked the Mulroney sticker that came with the car and there is no MSRP listed. It does have Model 3 - 35K, and then a bunch of options to add to the total.

Under Vehicle Model is just says "/Model" so you might be the first in the state.

This happened to my brother in Nevada. Nevada bases registration charges on MSRP without options. Tesla initially prepared the form with options, which caused his registration fees to go up. Eventually they re-issued the form and he got a credit back due to the mistake.

• Helpful
Reactions: tommyboy21
MSRP isn’t a thing for Teslas. That terminology assumes the manufacturer advertises a “suggested retail price” and a franchised dealer who bought the car wholesale negotiates a retail price with the buyer. Tesla doesn’t have a suggested price. It has a price. Period. Using MSRP terminology with buying a Tesla makes as much sense as asking what’s the MSRP of a Dell computer.

Reactions: tommyboy21
@TexasEV - COMPLETELY AGREE! Just got off the phone with Tesla who basically echoed what you said...and that's why they don't use the terminology on the Mulroney sticker. Of course, leave it to archaic DMV thinking to base things off of this. And charge us here in Nebraska an EV fee because it's not listed as a "fuel" in the 1865 laws. *facepalm*

Something is messed up as @ssaugato paid for his $50k LR based on the $35,000. It is a $2,400 difference over 5 years so it is worth fighting. I just checked mine and it is showing $64,000 and that is more then I am paying for the car.

View attachment 330138

How did you calculate the year 2-9 on your spreadsheet. I've always guessed how much it would go down on my current car in NE each year, but there must be a formule I don't know about.

Also, I didnt see this thread but discovered this myself when estimating. More conversation might continue in the Nebraska specific thread.

Nebraska Tesla Club?

How did you calculate the year 2-9 on your spreadsheet. I've always guessed how much it would go down on my current car in NE each year, but there must be a formule I don't know about.

Also, I didnt see this thread but discovered this myself when estimating. More conversation might continue in the Nebraska specific thread.

Nebraska Tesla Club?

This table has years 2-9

https://dmv.nebraska.gov/sites/dmv.nebraska.gov/files/doc/dvr/MV_Tax_Fee_Chart.pdf

It’s interesting about the MSRP used - I wonder if you could try entering your VIN as RWD instead (5YJ3E1EA6JF0xxxxx) to compare? It does look like your VIN is ‘standard’ AWD, so they may have the NE tables wrong - I can only imagine the run around trying to fix that

Here's how you decode the Tesla Model 3 VIN

I wonder if the 64k is the “base price” for a Model S. Your picture above says Model /Model, not Model 3. Maybe Nebraska isn’t recognizing the VIN at all yet so it’s guessing.

However, it raises a good question...if the VINS aren’t different for AWD and Performance how will DMVs and Insurance companies know which you have? Is there a secondary mechanism? I don’t want to insure a performance value car either.

I actually did put in a different VIN (I substitued the B for an A on the 8th digit, and then used TeslaTap.coms vin decoder to figure out/change the Check Digit number).

MSRP came in at 35000, with a Motor Vehicle tax of $580.

@TexasEV - COMPLETELY AGREE! Just got off the phone with Tesla who basically echoed what you said...and that's why they don't use the terminology on the Mulroney sticker. Of course, leave it to archaic DMV thinking to base things off of this. And charge us here in Nebraska an EV fee because it's not listed as a "fuel" in the 1865 laws. *facepalm*

Isn't the EV charge to make up for not collecting a tax at the gas pump directed to road maintenance? At least that is why we will pay one in California starting in 2020. This is completely separate from any taxes we pay on electricity.

This table has years 2-9

https://dmv.nebraska.gov/sites/dmv.nebraska.gov/files/doc/dvr/MV_Tax_Fee_Chart.pdf

It’s interesting about the MSRP used - I wonder if you could try entering your VIN as RWD instead (5YJ3E1EA6JF0xxxxx) to compare? It does look like your VIN is ‘standard’ AWD, so they may have the NE tables wrong - I can only imagine the run around trying to fix that

Here's how you decode the Tesla Model 3 VIN

Based on that table, the 53K MSRP vs the 64K MSRP would cost about $1375 less over 9 years. Not as much of a difference as I'd hoped

However, the 53K MSRP vs 35K MSRP is about $2059 over 9 years

The numbers are not proportional, as RWD buyers should be really getting charged for a $49k MSRP right now.

If that was the case, AWD would only be $457 over RWD in it's current form, smack in the middle of RWD to Premium.

This is what we should be arguing. They are not looking at the reality of the 'options' people have. AWD is only a 4-5k option, but we're getting charged for the LR battery and Premium interior, where RWD is not.

My car is registered in South Carolina. Here the tax is based on base MSRP if they have the car in their system. They only have very common cars in their system. For cars not in their system, they use the total purchase price including options (basically they ask for the purchase agreement). So my first year tax is 1.6k... SC doesn't collect much on sales tax (capped at $500, used to be only $300) but makes it back through high property/use tax each year.

Thanks @Trips and @brobinson. Sounds like the options side of things might be messing something up. I did call the "main" DMV branch and they showed 3 MSRP's listed - $35K, $53K, and $64K. They are making me contact Tesla to see if they can send over what the MSRP should be for the car. :rolleyes: More runaround...
$35k - RWD price without LR battery and PUP "options"
$53k - AWD non-P with LR battery and PUP
$64k - AWD P with LR battery and PUP

So it seems like they need to decide which options they are including in the base price.

On my order agreement it shows a price of $53k with paint and EAP being additional options.