Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Awesome new audio player bug

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This one baffled me for several drives until I finally got it. They put the browsing back how it was in 7.x, of course -- kudos to them -- and they made songs play in album order again (hard to give anyone props for undoing such a stupid bug, but, well...), but:

Browse to an album by artist, one with a common name. I suggest "Greatest Hits". Now, look at the list of songs.

That's right, you get all the songs for every album with that name.

Now back up a level to the view of albums by a particular artist. See anything odd?

Yep. Every single "Greatest Hits" album now claims to be "by" every artist who had any album named "Greatest Hits". It is treating every single album with a given name as if they were all one giant album with all the tracks.

Sigh...

This one baffled me for several drives until I finally got it. They put the browsing back how it was in 7.x, of course -- kudos to them -- and they made songs play in album order again (hard to give anyone props for undoing such a stupid bug, but, well...), but:

Browse to an album by artist, one with a common name. I suggest "Greatest Hits". Now, look at the list of songs.

That's right, you get all the songs for every album with that name.

Now back up a level to the view of albums by a particular artist. See anything odd?

Yep. Every single "Greatest Hits" album now claims to be "by" every artist who had any album named "Greatest Hits". It is treating every single album with a given name as if they were all one giant album with all the tracks.

Sigh...
Yes I noticed that but was too happy driving my new S 90D on two 12 hour days of Tesla Road Trip so much I forgot the messed up prior version and just enjoyed the good vibes. Now that you posted it I recall the previous bugs.

Tesla software is a piece of sh*t!

It's pretty obvious that the folks at Tesla "fix" bugs by changing the code that they know is wrong, but then don't bother to test the change they actually made. That's called hubris.

Tesla has chosen "Schedule-first delivery" instead of "First time quality". It helps them that they have a system in place to frequently push out patches (compared to traditional MFGs like Audi/BMW), and that subsystems like the audio aren't safety critical, but Tesla seems to short circuit extensive verification/validation. I remember a tweet right before Christmas from Elon Musk saying that the team was "working around the clock" on Enhanced AP, and I truly believe he wasn't using hyperbole. I hope the engineers got to see their family for the holidays.

With the 8.0 software, the media player is pretty unusable for USB, if you are trying to listen to a music collection, either in album/alphabetical or random order - since the music player appears to completely forget what USB music it is playing, either after changing the media player to another source or periodically after the car has resumed from overnight sleep mode.

While it's possible these issues are "bugs", it's more likely this is how the software was designed to operate.

Since AP, EAP, FSD, summons and autoparking are all software features - should the poor quality and/or design of the media player (and navigation software) raise concerns about the quality of the software used for actually operating the car?

This week's strategy for rolling out the AP 2.0 software reinforces the impression that Tesla doesn't have complete confidence in the software they release - since they restricted the initial release to 1000 cars because they were concerned the software may have problems they don't want to introduce to all of their cars...