Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Back to square one!!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, after nearly a month of going back and forth with executive support, we got them to agree to remove V9 from our car and revert back to the previous version.

They started with the usual "this is impossible" nonsense. We pointed out that if they looked at the service history on our car, they would see that a previous update had to be removed and rolled back to an earlier build.

They tried to tell us all our problems were solved with the release of 42.2, which they weren't. We even showed them them the statement directly from the manager at our local dealership and service center confirming they COULD undo the update, but only for "technical/safety issue" OR with "specific direction".

I received an e-mail saying they would coordinate a time with our local service center to get this done and we would hear from them soon.

2 weeks of silence.

Follow up and ask when this appointment can be set... and a new person responds to the thread with a cut and paste repeating the initial lie that it is impossible to put back the previous software version.

So... now I get to start all over again.
MS-DOS Forever!

Only that's a joke of a statement, just like this entire thread. It's impossible to advance autonomous driving, which is Tesla's ultimate goal, without the ability to update the software frequently and conveniently. Yet another example of why a Tesla is a computer on wheels and not a car in the traditional sense.

Would it be great if Tesla could fix/eliminate the bugs that currently exist? Of course, but you can't fix one without the ability to update the other... One of the best things about Tesla, from my perspective, is that they CAN update the software and DO so on a regular basis. Has that process always been smooth? No, in that there's always something I don't like about the new thing because like most people, I'm resistant to change. But I'd rather have a car that can and does update software on a regular basis from my garage, than where I came from which was having to trudge to the stealership anytime the software did need updating for whatever reason.

Saying it again for those in the back that refuse to take their fingers out of their ears, Tesla's are computers on wheels. Either you're okay with that, or your not.

Jeff
Except this thread has nothing to do with auto pilot. It's about Tesla agreeing to perform a service for a customer, then refusing to.

Besides, they can do anything they want to auto pilot without hindering the interface. Update it every day for all I care. They introduce bugs into the interface while making major changes - seemingly for the sake of change.

Only that's a joke of a statement, just like this entire thread. It's impossible to advance autonomous driving, which is Tesla's ultimate goal, without the ability to update the software frequently and conveniently. Yet another example of why a Tesla is a computer on wheels and not a car in the traditional sense.

Would it be great if Tesla could fix/eliminate the bugs that currently exist? Of course, but you can't fix one without the ability to update the other... One of the best things about Tesla, from my perspective, is that they CAN update the software and DO so on a regular basis. Has that process always been smooth? No, in that there's always something I don't like about the new thing because like most people, I'm resistant to change. But I'd rather have a car that can and does update software on a regular basis from my garage, than where I came from which was having to trudge to the stealership anytime the software did need updating for whatever reason.

Saying it again for those in the back that refuse to take their fingers out of their ears, Tesla's are computers on wheels. Either you're okay with that, or your not.

Jeff

Strange that every other company with the AP features like tesla don't need constant updates, No other electric car needs these constant updates. Why is it that GM super cruise and Nissans Pro Pilot don't need these constant updates? Why is it that every other car with any feature tesla has, whether autonomous or EV related can simply be driven like a normal car? Why is it that Tesla is constantly rated at the bottom of autonomous vehicle technology and implementation? They have hundreds of thousands of cars putting billions of miles on the road they should be at the forefront on everyone's list.

Reactions: am_dmd
But no maps. Not without LTE.
Why, GPS doesn't, or shouldn't, require a data connection. The maps should be downloaded to the vehicle and GPS works from there, like every other car manufactured in the world. So if the cell phones are out your GPS is completely useless in a Tesla while every other car in the world works just fine.

Why, GPS doesn't, or shouldn't, require a data connection. The maps should be downloaded to the vehicle and GPS works from there, like every other car manufactured in the world. So if the cell phones are out your GPS is completely useless in a Tesla while every other car in the world works just fine.
Oh, I thought you were talking about reality, not how it should be. I guess I got confused. I thought you were saying everything important to you would work fine if you cut off cell service on your car.

Oh, I thought you were talking about reality, not how it should be. I guess I got confused. I thought you were saying everything important to you would work fine if you cut off cell service on your car.
I didn't realize that the maps weren't stored in the car like every other car. If it were, then no I wouldn't need lte. I drive enough that I've listened to almost all of slacker, each station play the same 20 songs or so over and over. I'm now listening to podcasts but that can be done through my phone, or simple radio.

I Only use Tesla maps for general directions or guesstimating a trip anyway. The routes it wants me to take vs something like waze or google are asinine and sometimes streets or exits are mislabeled or incorrect and I end up using my phone anyway. For city driving the maps are slow to update and I often miss a turn because the next direction didn't pop up fast enough or my vehicle position was wrong and I'm at the intersection by the time it matches up.

In a perfect world with Tesla I would listen to podcasts, use maps just to keep the nav prompts on the car, and the browser to use ABRP. When I'm in one of the trucks I just open google maps and remember the next couple directions, listen to spotify podcasts, and run ABRP on the phone browser. So if need be I could do the same in the car, not ideal but, no my life wouldn't be over if I lost LTE in the car, this is the only vehicle I've had the has had LTE or any connectivity like that. I don't recall ford ever updating over LTE/Wifi and the Leaf didn't require it.

Straying off topic, but I think Nav would work without connectivity. IIRC, the displayed map is Google but Nav is by Navigon and stored in the car; so if I'm correct you could get turn by turn but have no map displayed. I imagine a gray screen with a route on it. (Not much different than we have now I guess!)

Straying off topic, but I think Nav would work without connectivity. IIRC, the displayed map is Google but Nav is by Navigon and stored in the car; so if I'm correct you could get turn by turn but have no map displayed. I imagine a gray screen with a route on it. (Not much different than we have now I guess!)
I don't think there is any way to enter a destination without a connection. Voice recognition won't work, and the navigation has to resolve the destination via the Internet. Maybe if you knew the exact address in exactly the format the navigation needed it would work, but that is almost impossible and certainly more trouble than it's worth. I know I have been in areas with no cell service and could not get it to work. Maybe it could go to saved favorites or locations you had been to recently if you selected those from a list

Strange that every other company with the AP features like tesla don't need constant updates, No other electric car needs these constant updates. Why is it that GM super cruise and Nissans Pro Pilot don't need these constant updates? Why is it that every other car with any feature tesla has, whether autonomous or EV related can simply be driven like a normal car? Why is it that Tesla is constantly rated at the bottom of autonomous vehicle technology and implementation? They have hundreds of thousands of cars putting billions of miles on the road they should be at the forefront on everyone's list.

Is this sarcasm? If not, then I’m not sure why you bought the car. To those of us that understand Tesla already know the answer to these questions.

Still waiting for the downgrade confirmation to close the thread.
BTW I still use Office 2007 on 1 computer. It was the last one that did not call home I recall. Though I still do get a nag from OneNote that there is a new version. I was getting security updates for 2007 until fairly recently too.

Reactions: am_dmd
You are CUSTOMER, meaning they have to please you, not the other way around.

Wow, that's quite the statement but I guess that's no surprise given your sense of entitlement.

Some of us in business have a very different view than you. Even Walmart kicks out "customers" so we know even the lowest class of profitable retailers do not believe they have to please everyone. The customer is always right is not something any good or profitable business believes since there's just too many nutcases in the world -- and buy a product -- and that nut is now a "customer."

But, I guess if you're desperate for customers, then the business has to please you. That's not a business I would want to deal with, but I can see you gravitating to those ones. Starting out, I was hungry for clients but never desperate. I've learned life's more enjoyable when I avoid people like you, whether clients, family or friends, since life's far too short to deal with people so full of entitlement they stay stuff like what's quoted above.

BTW I still use Office 2007 on 1 computer. It was the last one that did not call home I recall.

Your recollection is wrong. Even the current version does not 'call home'. I strongly suggest you switch to Linux and Open Office though because no matter how you like it, Microsoft is doing what everybody is doing and making their software most connected. Like Tesla, you could say...;)

Is this sarcasm? If not, then I’m not sure why you bought the car. To those of us that understand Tesla already know the answer to these questions.
No it's not sarcasm. Tesla has more AP style cars on the road then every other manufacturer I can find, combined. But somehow they're constantly ranked at the bottom? And correct, none of those other systems needs constant updates, in fact there is no way to get constant updates and they still work. Again, Tesla seems to be handicapped with this constant need to update vehicles.

No it's not sarcasm. Tesla has more AP style cars on the road then every other manufacturer I can find, combined. But somehow they're constantly ranked at the bottom? And correct, none of those other systems needs constant updates, in fact there is no way to get constant updates and they still work. Again, Tesla seems to be handicapped with this constant need to update vehicles.

But how many of these other "AP style" systems actually work to the point that people use them? (And GM does update their SuperCruise system with new maps all the time or it won't work.)

But how many of these other "AP style" systems actually work to the point that people use them? (And GM does update their SuperCruise system with new maps all the time or it won't work.)

His point, as I read it, is that constant updates aren't really updates. Taking many controls, that used to be higher up on the Model S screen, and moving them lower is a perfect example. The preachers can sing "la, la, la", but losing the ability to flexibly make more use of the upper screen real estate was simply more safe, and functional. Weird, how so many devotees are hounding the rest of us. I see many profiles don't still have these cars, but that doesn't stop the criticism and the sanctimony. It is accelerating it?

Version 9 is too easy to demonstrate as regression, not progress. Weeks after this was pushed into these cars, we're pretty much here. Right? I mean, there's a couple things. Steering wheel heat no longer has to be turned on. I can't think of anything else, but it wasn't a total shut-out in the gain column. Just a large unwelcome loss. Tesla has progressively brought some aspects of loss to the car ownership experience. Does anyone remember Version 7, with fixed upper controls, and how nobody wanted to get rid of them to expand the map, but Tesla did it anyway? From 8, to 9, these same controls got put into a sub-menu, now at the bottom of the screen. And it times out. Things got worse, before they got worse. It won't do Tesla much good, if fans/developers and Elon's mistakes are causing people to leave.

Maybe it's by design.

Reactions: am_dmd and kavyboy