Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Backbench Gaming in the Tesla Model S using a ..... MOUSE!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First of all: A USB port connected mouse works in the Tesla. Now you may think: “So What???”.

Well, first of all it allows you to perform all and the same actions on the 17 inch screen as can be done by touching the screen. So in theory a driver using Autopilot can literally sit back. Not recommended since you have to keep your hands on the wheel at all time. But still…

Furthermore, a mouse allows passengers on the back seat to manage the 17” screen . And that opens up a whole new array of entertainment options for the backbenchers. Among which gaming for the kids (and the elderly).

There are some game sites that provide games that run flawlessly on the Tesla browser. The famous question “Are we there yet?” may turn into “Can we drive for another 1234 miles?”.

One of these sites is http://www.neok12.com/games.htm . Reversi and Connect-4 are games that work terrifically.

In the picture below you can see an example of Reversi being played. The mouse pointer is the hazy small blue dot in square (B,4). A little zooming made it perfectly usable for the crowd in the back.
(I would envision a model X would be even more attractive for gaming when the 6-seater option is selected.)

DSC_2017.JPG

My questions are:

1. Does anyone know more game sites that provide games suitable for the Tesla Browser?
  2. Are any of these games suitable for online gaming, i.e. for backbencher players in different Tesla's?. Would be great for simultaneous long haul trips….
  3. Did anyone try a touchpad or trackball or wireless mouse yet? Please advise on best fit for purpose.

Hang loose, share, dig and let me know. Truly appreciated. I am heading for winter sports soon and will have kids in the back for more than 12 hours...

Last edited:
F
[*]Did anyone try a touchpad or trackball or wireless mouse yet? Please advise on best fit for purpose.

I currently use one of these very compact trackballs:

Portable Finger Hand Held 4D Usb Mini Trackball Mouse: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

but it's not really satisfactory because unless I roll it up and stash it in the cupholder, the passengers leave it rolling around on the floor and unintended mouse movements/clicks occur.

I previously used a full-size trackball pinched from my office, which in some ways was better though taking up more space. Looks similar to this one:

Kensington Orbit Optical Wired USB Trackball Mouse with Scroll Ring for PC and Mac - Black: Amazon.co.uk: Computers Accessories

Main application in my case is letting my daughter control the music rather than shouting at me to change it.