Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Backing into charging spots

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is your response? Attacking my driving skills? If you don't have anything helpful to say you do know that you have the option of taking your attitude to another thread right?
I did give you helpful advice:
"Backing in to a supercharger spot is the same as backing out of your garage, out of your driveway, out of a parking spot, etc.."

The bumpers installed at supercharger locations are low enough that you won't hit them with your bumper. You can back slowly until your tires hit. That's how you'll know when you've back far enough. This does NOT apply to concrete curbs, just the bumper things.
bumpers.jpeg

Once you get used to using the Model Y's backup camera, side mirrors backing into a parking space is easier than pulling in nose first. There are huge blind spots when looking out of the windshield of the Model Y including the left and right fenders and the front bumper. There is a very high probability that if you curb a wheel it will be the front passenger wheel as the distance from the front right wheel to the curb is difficult to judge. It is much easier to pull through into the next lane whenever possible, then park or backup into the space you just drove over if you wish.

Is this a serious post, especially if you live in the Bay Area? You have to pass a parallel parking test to get your driver's license at the least. Backing in to a supercharger spot is the same as backing out of your garage, out of your driveway, out of a parking spot, etc..
You seem very ignorant and it shows that you don't live in the Bay Area as there hasn't been a parallel parking test in decades. No point in putting people down for asking questions. The cables at superchargers and really short and you almost have to back your car up until it hits the cement dividers to get there.

Be careful and leave a small bit of space. I've known of two Model X owners who have backed in and done damage to the back of their cars.
If needed, use a ground guide for the first couple of times, until you get used to it.

Just take your time, go slow. Tip: You can set the side view mirrors to automatically tilt downwhen you shift into reverse so you can see the parking lines. Use the backup camera and stop when within 24 inches of the wall or Supercharger station.
Where I supercharge, there are tire stops that keep the car from backing into the charger, so at least that may not be a problem. But the best advice is still to take it out and practice backing until you feel comfortable. Bring along a plastic trash can or two and pretend they are other cars and the charger. And have fun. Pretty soon you can sit and watch as other cars try to pull in, and think, "Well, THAT guy needs practice," or, "Wow, That lady sure knows how to drive!"

I read through all the responses before I typed my own. I have to admit, I'm kinda shocked nobody suggested to swipe up when you've got your car in reverse so that you'll also see the side repeater cameras to assist you in how close you are to cars next to you. So you'll have your rear and side cameras as well as your sideview mirrors.

I'm presuming that function is there for the software version of the Model Y when it's delivered because it came to the Model 3 about 6-8 months ago?

I read through all the responses before I typed my own. I have to admit, I'm kinda shocked nobody suggested to swipe up when you've got your car in reverse so that you'll also see the side repeater cameras to assist you in how close you are to cars next to you. So you'll have your rear and side cameras as well as your sideview mirrors.

I'm presuming that function is there for the software version of the Model Y when it's delivered because it came to the Model 3 about 6-8 months ago?
My side camera views show up automatically when I put it in reverse.

Reactions: AlexHung
You seem very ignorant and it shows that you don't live in the Bay Area as there hasn't been a parallel parking test in decades. No point in putting people down for asking questions. The cables at superchargers and really short and you almost have to back your car up until it hits the cement dividers to get there.
Yeah I guess San Jose is not the Bay Area. If you want to use ignorant in that sense, look in the mirror with your comment. Reversing in a straight line is actually a required knowledge for the driving test. Go look at the CA DMV website if you don't believe me. I actually never took a road test for a license in CA, I took it in NY where parallel parking is a requirement.
My original comment may have come off abrupt, but everyone reverses their car daily. Even if you pull in to a spot, you have to reverse out. With the rearview camera and sensors, how can you not reverse up to a few inches of your intended spot without hitting something?

Reactions: FlatSix911
Backing into ALL parking spots is proven safer (better visibility when pulling out).
My company has required this as a safety standard for company cars.
I try to avoid using the pull-in superchargers and save those for the occasional Tesla with a trailer or bike hitch.
You know about the A/B pairs of v2 superchargers?

Reactions: gtae07

My personal preference is to not use the side repeater cameras, I prefer to view the back-up camera in full screen only and use the guide lines.

Last edited:
My personal preference is to not use the side repeater cameras, I prefer to view the back-up cameras in full screen only and use the guide lines.
I didn’t think the backup camera was reduced as a result? The rear camera moves up and the area below it is taken up by both side repeaters? Now you have me curious. If I can get behind the better half’s model 3 I will look. Otherwise I’ll have to wait until Saturday when I get mine.

I didn’t think the backup camera was reduced as a result? The rear camera moves up and the area below it is taken up by both side repeaters? Now you have me curious. If I can get behind the better half’s model 3 I will look. Otherwise I’ll have to wait until Saturday when I get mine.
HA you're right, I just went out to check and the backup view doesn't shrink when the two repeater cameras are on, the size is fixed. I guess what I'm trying to say is it's too distracting to me to see three camera views on the screen as I'm backing up.

HA you're right, I just went out to check and the backup view doesn't shrink when the two repeater cameras are on, the size is fixed. I guess what I'm trying to say is it's too distracting to me to see three camera views on the screen as I'm backing up.
But back to the OP’s post (congrats @leaftoy ), I think every little bit helps to increase the comfort of backing into the charging stations.

Reactions: leaftoy