Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Backup Cam doesn't adjust exposure for night?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone actually have a model 3 hw3 with good back up camera quality?

It's definitely not the worst I've seen. The dynamic range is horrible and it clips highlights quickly, at night turning things into flashing halo blobs.

Overall I think its appropriate.

Suggestion for improvement would be better line projection - the ones it draws is useless for judging distance to neighboring car, and the angling the car within a rectangle is hopeless.

Good quality imaging sensors such as those used in cell phones are ridiculously cheap. They could buy a Sony IMX-whatever module for next to nothing.

Last edited:
I had some other stuff worked on this week and I brought the backup camera up for a 3rd time and he just immediately said it was a firmware bug that is known, no matter how I explained it.

When I first got my car, my backup camera was great, it adjusted exposure at night like all the other cameras and yes I have HW3.

Well, it's been a year now and no change. I asked my local SC recently and got the run around, no credible information about any fix. I asked for their ticket number used to reference the exposure issue. If we all can reference the specific item by number, maybe it can move up the list.

I've never seen a backup camera that is good at night. Even the great ones on daylight, are just okay at night. Nothing really wrong with that.
Model 3 with version 2.5 computer exposes the rear view camera at night real well. My wife's Model 3 has this setup and it looks great. It's pretty trivial for a digital camera to adjust exposure at night and/or for a display to do the same, unless the software simply isn't written to do it. As @TesMY was saying, the side cameras do expose properly. They just aren't inspired to correct the rear camera exposure, apparently.