Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Backup cam should always be on when moving in reverse (discussion)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I back out of the garage and wait for Wifey I sometimes set our destination. The back up camera disappears and does not come back on. Is it just me or do we need to bug Tesla to have the backup camera on at any time we are moving backwards. Even if we are at a stop and accidentally roll back.

It is triggered by reverse gear, as @boaterva said - no car does automatically switch to camera mode when you start rolling backwards. Besides, you should not be rolling backwards - that's what the hill stop is for (in case you are not aware, you just need to press the brake pedal harder until you see (H) in the upper right side of the instrument cluster).

Reactions: boaterva
When I back out of the garage and wait for Wifey I sometimes set our destination. The back up camera disappears and does not come back on. Is it just me or do we need to bug Tesla to have the backup camera on at any time we are moving backwards. Even if we are at a stop and accidentally roll back.
You can manually place the camera on the top tile and the navigation on the bottom that way when you enter a destination in the navigation the camera doesn't go away. The software is behaving as intended (getting rid off the back up camera) when you touch the screen and change to the navigation screen

Reactions: Bebop and linkster
I kind of like the idea, or at least delayed camera turn-off.
When doing a 3-point turn in an sloping area, I often just drive uphill, then let the car roll back downhill, then drive... if the camera automagically appeared when rolling backwards, that would be a nice touch...

- and yes, if I really needed it, I could just switch into reverse - so it's more a possibly cool feature, than actual need that makes me write this :)

That's exactly how the Leaf one works - when you shift into reverse, it automatically comes on (and when you shift into drive or park, it automatically comes off). No option to manually control it, sadly :(

It is triggered by reverse gear, as @boaterva said - no car does automatically switch to camera mode when you start rolling backwards.

I used to own an F56 MINI Cooper S, which always switched automatically to the backup camera every time the car rolled back, no matter if it was on Neutral, Drive (or obviously Reverse) gear. I wasn't able to test it on a manual car, but I sure loved that feature. :)

You can manually place the camera on the top tile and the navigation on the bottom that way when you enter a destination in the navigation the camera doesn't go away. The software is behaving as intended (getting rid off the back up camera) when you touch the screen and change to the navigation screen

Agreed, but I think they missed where you find your destination and then actually back up. The camera should come back on.

I've encountered this as well. It's a painful experience because the upper nav at this point have disappeared, so now you have to click on the upper section of the screen to get the nav menu back.

This leads me down a rabbit hole of, let's improve the upper nav. The upper nav should have options to persist no matter what. Am I the only one that would like to have the upper nav persist and not disappear after 5 seconds?

It's a painful experience when I need to get into music, nav, camera or calendar that I have to touch the upper portion of my screen then wait 2 seconds for the crappy graphics to slowly show the nav menu.

The walkaround to OP's post is don't put the car in reverse so quickly, not until your wife gets in the car :)

I've encountered this as well. It's a painful experience because the upper nav at this point have disappeared, so now you have to click on the upper section of the screen to get the nav menu back.

This leads me down a rabbit hole of, let's improve the upper nav. The upper nav should have options to persist no matter what. Am I the only one that would like to have the upper nav persist and not disappear after 5 seconds?

It's a painful experience when I need to get into music, nav, camera or calendar that I have to touch the upper portion of my screen then wait 2 seconds for the crappy graphics to slowly show the nav menu.

The walkaround to OP's post is don't put the car in reverse so quickly, not until your wife gets in the car :)
You can tap anywhere in the map to get the bar back, not just at the top; I actually view it as an evolved design over a static bar. Within an hour of driving I may need to access controls up there once - most times not at all, as you find your favorite workflow (mine is nav map on top, radio on bottom), and the bar retracts to give you more map area, adding to the usefulness of that app. In addition to that, it also prevents burn-in there (which I’ve heard has happened due to more persistent menu items in older Teslas).

I’m not against an option to have it persist at the top of that’s what you prefer, but as for me I think it’s perfect as is.

Reactions: aesculus and arcus