Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Backup camera frame rate?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Whenever i drive my AP2 Model S i REALLY notice how bad it is in the M3.
It is indeed better in V10, but it’s still unusable. Use mirrors and sensor-beeps like a caveman and ignore it.

Yep I agree. I don’t know that I think it’s improved much - but definitely a tiny bit. Still very dangerous to rely on it when reversing. Sometimes it literally freezes for a good second, making you think you’re further away from an object/car etc than you really are. I’m disappointed Tesla’s team hasn’t addressed this yet. Been around 6 months since HW3 hit the market and all HW3 is affected by this.

Little late, but I just picked up my M3 LR a few weeks ago and this is still an issue. Assuming you've just decided to live with it? Service center refuse to accept that it's an issue?

Pretty much. A shame something so simple hasn’t been addressed. My wife doesn’t like it when I leave on the camera view when driving since the janky frame rate makes her feel nauseated. Sigh.

Pretty much. A shame something so simple hasn’t been addressed. My wife doesn’t like it when I leave on the camera view when driving since the janky frame rate makes her feel nauseated. Sigh.

So it sounds like yours consistently skips and jumps around. Haven't driven a whole lot with the camera up, but from anecdotal evidence I concluded that mine only seems to have the issues when using the camera after recently waking the car. Will do more testing today and report back.

So it sounds like yours consistently skips and jumps around. Haven't driven a whole lot with the camera up, but from anecdotal evidence I concluded that mine only seems to have the issues when using the camera after recently waking the car. Will do more testing today and report back.

It's not "consistent" so much as uneven in its frame-rate. I see it in everyone's videos they post of Dashcam etc etc. But apparently most aren't sensitive to it, so that's likely why it hasn't been a priority for Tesla to fix.

It's not "consistent" so much as uneven in its frame-rate. I see it in everyone's videos they post of Dashcam etc etc. But apparently most aren't sensitive to it, so that's likely why it hasn't been a priority for Tesla to fix.

Right, I get what you mean. I don't understand that, I noticed it right away... So even footage records at an inconsistent frame rate? Haven't noticed that, but haven't seen much footage yet. Model 3 just must not be able to handle processing all the video encoding and everything else it's always doing all at once.

Right, I get what you mean. I don't understand that, I noticed it right away... So even footage records at an inconsistent frame rate? Haven't noticed that, but haven't seen much footage yet. Model 3 just must not be able to handle processing all the video encoding and everything else it's always doing all at once.

It's been a while since I pulled a drive to check the actual files. I know when people post footage from the inside of the car the frame-rate is always pretty bad. It can be especially bad at night with lights/reflections going on (worse than normal). It really feels like a lack of processing power, but who knows...

It's been a while since I pulled a drive to check the actual files. I know when people post footage from the inside of the car the frame-rate is always pretty bad. It can be especially bad at night with lights/reflections going on (worse than normal). It really feels like a lack of processing power, but who knows...

Are you doubting the processing power of Intel's top of the line Atom processors? Known for powering everything from a bottom of the barrel Chromebook to the heart and soul of a $60,000 modern vehicle.