Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Backup camera quality

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I really did search for threads on this topic. Mods feel free to move it if I missed it.

I know I've heard that the back up camera display resolution is relatively low. I am wondering if it is worse than MS or MX and if so why? I have read the backup camera on the AP2 and up cars is the best....

I think Tesla has a way to go to be industry leading in "back-up camera" implementation. My wife's 2016 Merecedes C300 has both wide angle and normal view selectable. Like Tesla's, it projects the backing path based on steering wheel position, but also adds increment marks projected about every foot along the projected path. This gives both a visual and graphic distance displayed in the screen which helps when backing up to another car or immovable object. I know Model 3 displays distance from object in inches but its not on the video image and would require looking away to read.
Hope Tesla continues to refine this feature.

I seem to remember that the backup camera resolution was low until a software update. Are you sure you weren't looking at old information?
Yes, I believe that my source was Caleb from the Tesla Show podcast. He drove someone's M3 from the bay area to LA round-trip for the semi event. I am quiet sure that the recent update pre-dates the semi event by enough that we can assume that his comments would be after the said update.

Reactions: boiler81
Yes, I believe that my source was Caleb from the Tesla Show podcast. He drove someone's M3 from the bay area to LA round-trip for the semi event. I am quiet sure that the recent update pre-dates the semi event by enough that we can assume that his comments would be after the said update.
I think he was saying that the quality of the camera did not compare well with the rest of the high resolution display. Not sure if that means the camera itself is low res.

Reactions: T-Will
It is a noticeable step down from the S/X, based on my 2-hour drive in a Model 3 about a month ago. Not sure if any software updates may have affected it since then.
I think that is exactly what I would like to know.... How does the current version compare to MS/MX....

How would a SW update increase the resolution on the camera? I can see them making the fish eye go away, but resolution? I must say I have no experience in that field, but why would SW have any effect on the amount of pixels coming from the camera and being displayed on the screen?

How would a SW update increase the resolution on the camera? I can see them making the fish eye go away, but resolution? I must say I have no experience in that field, but why would SW have any effect on the amount of pixels coming from the camera and being displayed on the screen?

Oftentimes a camera can send several different formats/codecs/resolutions. There may be a better choice.

In exclusivity here is a picture of the backup camera image quality.

large_small-red-family-car-9768.png

:p