Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bad experience at Tesla Fremont Delivery Hub

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After several false starts with my IDA, I was scheduled for a 2:15 delivery on 8/16.

I don't feel bad about posting my IDA's contact information because as of this evening, that number no longer rings into voicemail. I assume they have been let go from Tesla.

I arrived at 2:00. Things went downhill rapidly.

The associate running "check-in" was very nice, but told me that I was not on the list for delivery, and my car was not on-site and needed to be cleaned & detailed. They apologized for what they described as an "error in the backend systems". They said my car would be ready in 60-90 minutes, so I pulled up a book on my iPhone and started reading.

At 3:45, I met my host. She was very pleasant and nice. We started filling out paperwork. Around 4:20 my car was "done with detailing and ready". We head out to the parking lot to find it. I wish I had taken pictures. The car had not been fully washed. There were sections of the car with thick dust on them. Handprints all over the car. Excess wax all over the car. I asked that they take it in back and re-clean it. A female associate who identified herself with being from the garage tried to claim "Oh that's just street dust. The car has been sitting here all day." She said I was lying when I claimed the car had just been detailed.

So either the Tesla garage rep was lying, or the manager was lying.

I left the Tesla showroom at this point because I was furious. The guys working in the cleaning/detailing department obviously did not care about the quality of work they were performing. There's no way that the guys did not see the dust caked parts of the car when they were waxing it.

Around 5:00 my car came back, and it was in good shape. Veronica started showing me how things work on the car, and she left me in the car to finish up the paperwork.

She returns with the manager Alex who informs me that they have changed they way they handle funding with USAA. On 8/8, Tesla stopped accepting USAA Dealer Funding Requests, and started requiring check-in-hand (or photo & tracking number) before car is sold.

I spoke with another car buyer who was also financing through USAA. His IDA sent him a PDF that covered all the steps necessary for funding the purchase through USAA. My ISA never sent me that document, despite being informed multiple times that I was financing with USAA. Without that document, how could I have known what to do?

So after spending 5 hours at the Tesla delivery center, I finally had to ask them to call me a Lyft to get home without the car.

I'm upset that Tesla was not willing to cover their own mistakes. A member of the Tesla team messed up repeatedly. I've asked multiple times to speak to that person’s supervisor, but have never gotten a call from that person.

This was supposed to be an awesome day. Most people I saw at the delivery center were happy and smiling. Not me. Not by a long shot.

Hey Tesla - ever heard the saying "You're only as strong as your weakest link?" You make amazing cars, but you get a F for the delivery process.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would ping @tesla on twitter!

sorry to hear that your delivery experience was a nightmare. hope everything will work out fine in the end.

If they don't get things right after sometime, feel free to ping me. I might have a friend that can help =P we're here to help!

Wonder how long these cars are sitting on the lot before they actually get delivered. Knowing how rushed they are with washing/detailing the cars I might ask them to skip it to avoid getting more swirls in the car, but that would make it hard to see any issues with the paint.

A little nervous about about taking delivery in Fremont, when I get the call.

I would never want to dox a private citizen, but I may or may not have also had dealings with the same ISA. This person was always courteous and initially responsive, but after my 1st cancelled delivery became not as responsive. Eventually I was told that they had a home disaster which was why they were unresponsive and then this person referred me to another ISA to help me while they would be busy dealing with things at home. I'm not sure why they would make up that story so I can only assume its true?

In any case, at least you're right at the 1 yard line and had eyes on the car. At this point my ordered car is still very much theoretical to me. Your story concerns me that my account might be messed up too. I'm waiting on my 3rd delivery attempt this weekend which is confirmed through email and I've been told I still have my previous VIN but nothing shows on my Tesla account, neither VIN nor appointment time. Seems very fishy.

Wonder how long these cars are sitting on the lot before they actually get delivered. Knowing how rushed they are with washing/detailing the cars I might ask them to skip it to avoid getting more swirls in the car, but that would make it hard to see any issues with the paint.

This is not a trend. This is one case. Tens of thousands of other deliveries went perfect.

Reactions: chibi_kurochan

The cars come off the storage lot absolutely caked in dirt. If you ask them to skip washing the car it will look like you just came home from a two week off-road expedition.

The garage lady had attitude about re-washing the car, but they did it and did a good job the second time.

I would never want to dox a private citizen, but I may or may not have also had dealings with the same ISA. This person was always courteous and initially responsive, but after my 1st cancelled delivery became not as responsive. Eventually I was told that they had a home disaster which was why they were unresponsive and then this person referred me to another ISA to help me while they would be busy dealing with things at home. I'm not sure why they would make up that story so I can only assume its true?

Did your ISA tell you his apartment burnt down? He told me that too....... Poor guy, his apartment must be burning down every week!

PS: I checked news reports. No reported apartment fires in the Bay Area on the day he claimed his apartment burned down.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
Did he tell you his apartment burnt down? He told me that too....... Poor guy, his apartment must be burning down every week!

PS: I checked news reports. No reported apartment fires in the Bay Area on the day Sierra claimed his apartment burned down.

I happen to know who you are talking about and out of respect for this person, I will not use their name.

As previously mentioned, this employee, and 11 other families, were in fact displaced from their homes due to an apartment fire that happened on August 8th in Newark.

Just because you couldn't find the report yourself, doesn't mean it didn't happen.

Here:
Newark Fire Displaces Residents From 12 Apartments

People were displaced, including this employee. It was a tragedy that most people are lucky not to experience in their life. To assume that someone would lie about a traumatic experience like this, says more about the person making judgements than anyone else.

@OP
While you had to wait a few extra days to get your new car, this employee and 11 other families were facing homelessness.

Enjoy your car.

I happen to know who you are talking about and out of respect for this person, I will not use their name.

As previously mentioned, this employee, and 11 other families, were in fact displaced from their homes due to an apartment fire that happened on August 8th in Newark.

Just because you couldn't find the report yourself, doesn't mean it didn't happen.

Here:
Newark Fire Displaces Residents From 12 Apartments

People were displaced, including this employee. It was a tragedy that most people are lucky not to experience in their life. To assume that someone would lie about a traumatic experience like this, says more about the person making judgements than anyone else.

@OP
While you had to wait a few extra days to get your new car, this employee and 11 other families were facing homelessness.

Enjoy your car.

I have to respectfully disagree. The employee clearly said their apartment burned down Thursday night. The fire you reference happened on a Wednesday. They also told another TMC poster that their apartment had burned down the week prior.