TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Bad seal in little window triangles in front doors

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by rawady, Aug 7, 2013.

1. rawady

rawady Member

Has anybody experienced noise coming from those little triangles in the front part of the door windows? The seal is not good enough and air filters in at higher speeds. Is there a way to fix it?

2. Quibbs

Quibbs Member

That was the first issue I had with my MS. I also had the infamous pano creak. Called Tesla, they put my car on a flatbed and took it to the nearest SC (150 miles away) and fixed both problems in a day and dropped the car back off. It's a relatively easy fix.

3. tomanik

tomanik Member

Just noticed this the other day when I was driving around with no music playing. Will mark this for service to look at next time I have the car looked at.

4. Lump

Lump Active Member

#4 Lump, Aug 7, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2013
    We went on our first road trip this weekend & anytime going over 65mph we heard severe air leaks in the Pano seal & passenger side window down by the "triangle", noise got really bad over 80mph :biggrin:, I just washed the car & noticed some water intrusion in the triangle seals, its a good thing I had already called my service center & made an appointment to have the seals checked.

5. Chris

Chris Member

Had the same issue. They resealed it and it has been quite ever since.

Approaching 10K miles and loving every one of it :)

6. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

Yes, when the car was new in March. I even got a little trickle of water inside from a car wash at that point on the driver's side. I never did anything about it and it seems to have gone away. I wonder if the warmer weather has anything to do with it (it was still below freezing when I got my car).

7. carrerascott

carrerascott FUEL FTR

When the Tesla Rangers come...

Bad-Week-to-Be-a-Seal.jpg

8. rawady

rawady Member

Thanks for the Seal! It might come handy. Will get the windows adjusted.

9. teslasguy

teslasguy MSP P#1117

The air leak around the small triangle windows has been around and discussed for a long time. Mine was fixed several months ago. There is a factory fix. Basically installing a washer in the big window roll up mechanism that acts as a snugging shim.

10. Colasec

Colasec Member

Yes, I have this problem too, at least on the driver's side. I can feel air coming in if I put my hand there while traveling at highway speeds. I'm hoping to get it fixed when I take the car in next week for an alignment.

11. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

They fixed mine up just fine.

12. mattreidy

mattreidy Member

I've got it too. I've arranged to have service come to me to fix it next week.

13. bhuwan

bhuwan Active Member

I have it too. First fix didn't work. Next attempt is next week. I am confident tesla will resolve this. It's awful in the winter as the amount of air coming in makes the entire cabin extremely cold.

14. Kapenagary

Kapenagary Member

Noticed the wind noise from the right front triangle window immediately after delivery. Brought can in a week later and they replaced the complete part. No more noise. Great service.

15. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

The SC fixed mine up as well. No problem since.

16. mattreidy

mattreidy Member

What's the working fix and what attempts to resolve proved to be in vain? I'd like to make sure they do the right thing when they come to fix mine in a week... Thanks!

17. Kapenagary

Kapenagary Member

It's a part that they happened to have in stock when they fixed mine. The part is fairly large and I think it fits down into the door.

18. Cerie

Cerie Member

I have this problem as well on the driver's side, it is very drafty but on the passenger side, you can actually see the water line go into the black "sealed" part on the top of the triangle when it's rainy outside (which it has been this entire week). Being that it's getting close to the holidays, how long did it take them to fix your cars so I know how long I will be with a loaner?

19. Kapenagary

Kapenagary Member

It took 30 minutes to replace the part. Just hope they have the part on hand.

20. tomp

tomp Member

I had my driver's side 'little window' fixed a week or two ago. No problems since.