Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Bangs" and "Clunks" when charging?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2019 built in early June that makes a thud/bang under the car intermittently while driving.

I thought this was previously resolved through a service bulletin due to a breather / filter or something on the battery pack being replaced?

Edit - Found the Service Bulletin: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/MC-10163736-9999.pdf

Or does this still happen to all Model 3's when the battery warms up particularly when it is cooler out?

Last edited:
Pretty sure it happens to most Model 3's in certain conditions. Usually supercharging in the cold, but some folks have experienced this for long periods of regen (going down a mountain) while cold.

Tesla has said it's not causing damage, so up to you. Keep in mind the 'thud' is usually super loud and jarring in my experience... so if yours is a lot subtler, it might be something else. Mine sounds like sheet metal that's under stress finally buckling, basically. Which... is basically what it is.

Pretty sure it happens to most Model 3's in certain conditions. Usually supercharging in the cold, but some folks have experienced this for long periods of regen (going down a mountain) while cold.

Tesla has said it's not causing damage, so up to you. Keep in mind the 'thud' is usually super loud and jarring in my experience... so if yours is a lot subtler, it might be something else. Mine sounds like sheet metal that's under stress finally buckling, basically. Which... is basically what it is.
Yea, that's what mine sounds like. Sometimes loud like you ran over something substantial, sometimes just a minor oil canning sound that isn't too bad but definitely noticeable.

My June build had the battery replaced at 1K miles but they didn't tell me when the new battery was produced so perhaps it is new 'old stock' that needs the updated breathers. I will email service and ask them (and not expect a reply, heh)

Yea, that's what mine sounds like. My June build had the battery replaced but they didnt tell me when the new battery was produced so perhaps it is new 'old stock' that needs the updated breathers. I will email service and ask them (and not expect a reply, heh)

You can always put in a mobile service request. It's a sure fire way to get some response :) I'd probably try to find someone who's actually gotten the service done and has a receipt on here... that way you can ask for the same treatment.

You can always put in a mobile service request. It's a sure fire way to get some response :) I'd probably try to find someone who's actually gotten the service done and has a receipt on here... that way you can ask for the same treatment.
Thanks. If anyone reads this and has an invoice that covers this, PM me or respond here. I do have an open mobile service appointment, perhaps I will add the issue to that.

I had mine fixed, still makes noise but not nearly as bad. Here is the section in my service invoice:

Concern: I get this a bang while charging mainly when it is cold out. Mentioned it before at a previous service call but
service could not repeat. This is service bulletin: SB-19-16-010
Replaced HV breather ports.
Correction: Inspect And Install Two Breathers
Parts Replaced or Added
Part Quantity
BREATHER, NITTO Z-PLUG-S(1108907-00-A) 2.0

My M3 does this occasionally in cold weather when turning into driveways at an angle. Sounds like a big oil can popping. I figured it comes from torque on the battery pack...
Yes same here, I have to turn at 90 degree angle into my driveway and it's up a short incline and i hear a sheet metal thud at the moment in the colder weather.