Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

barely any paint on the body where the front doors are hinged.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
the white is showing through.

it looks terrible. it may be an issue with corrosion in the future.

i've never seen anything this bad on any car. is this normal for a tesla 3?

20230322_121425.jpg
20230322_121403.jpg

Yup 'within spec' since 2017. Poor paint booth robot path programming or early example of cost cutting pre project Highland.

Luckily all the panels are also galvanized / zinc-coated so it will take a long time for them to rust (even in humid coastal climates). But rust they will. Only a matter of time.

If this horrifies you, don't look in the trunk (trunk scissor hinges, lower trunk storage area, bottom side of rear shelf, under the trim that covers each wheel well against the quarter panels) or frunk (around the hinges, tops of strut housings, anywhere below the frunk tup)

the white is showing through.

it looks terrible. it may be an issue with corrosion in the future.

i've never seen anything this bad on any car. is this normal for a tesla 3?
Has been this way since forever:

The entire fender is e-coated, so I doubt it'll change much on corrosion necessarily, especially given that area doesn't really see any weather.

According to this thread, there was a point where they did take the doors off of Model Y and paint that area, but people complained the paint didn't match, so they just reverted to same as Model 3, where the paint is applied with doors installed (so that area doesn't get painted).

• Informative
Reactions: ColoradoMike
It's not desirable but also not the end of the world as most people won't even notice. I know it's there but I rarely ever notice. I guess if you are on the fence between white and another color it may be a reason to go white if you are overly picky.

Spray lanolin based undercoating like Woolwax or Liquid film on panels and edges that you're afraid will rust. Do that once a year before winter.

If it works under trucks that's not coated/treated, then you know it'll keep your zinc coated panels rust free for decades to come.

Reactions: TimTam
It looks like the blue paint didn't make it in there but there is definitely an undercoat/primer. I don't think you would need to worry too much about accelerated corrosion there as it's not bare metal.
Yes, the fender is already e-coated with a primer, so it's definitely not bare metal. The negatives to only having primer is it provides no UV or scratch protection, but the amount of light and material hitting that area is practically to zero in most cases, so I doubt that will change anything practically.

what were you missing?
Bolt securing one of the panels under the car and a clip securing the panel under the hood that covers the battery. Text suggest my car was built on Christmas Day, so I’d consider that worse than a Monday or Friday car. 😂

1826F34D-165C-4309-8C7C-9C6CC9055D7E.jpeg

EDIT: Not a missing fixture, but they didn’t seat the rear bumper properly. Cause of that, the trunk was hitting the bumper under the “Dual Motor” badge area. Left a slight mark on the bumper cause I didn’t catch it right away.

Last edited:
Bolt securing one of the panels under the car and a clip securing the panel under the hood that covers the battery. Text suggest my car was built on Christmas Day, so I’d consider that worse than a Monday or Friday car. 😂

View attachment 920421

EDIT: Not a missing fixture, but they didn’t seat the rear bumper properly. Cause of that, the trunk was hitting the bumper under the “Dual Motor” badge area. Left a slight mark on the bumper cause I didn’t catch it right away.
Any push by Elon near end of quarter will be bad. Mine was pretty good December 24th 2020 with just an adjustment of the hood through mobile service and finding 3 or 4 bolts out of nowhere. Well that and having to replace the battery and ending up with a loud whining noise (fixed after 2 tries) and a small tear on my rear seat (not fixed brought in 3 times and ordered wrong parts).

Reactions: Black306