Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Basic autopilot in heavy traffic

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Iron

Jan 22, 2023
ATL
My daily work commute is in typical Atlanta stop-n-go traffic, half of which is on surface streets. I typically turn on AP when sitting in a long line of traffic but the experience is a bit of a let down. Each time the car ahead moves, my Tesla accelerates harder than than necessary only to come to a harder stop than it should a second later. Seems like the programming could be much smoother. Anyone else experiencing this? I find myself using it less and less because of this herky-jerky approach. It's like being in the car with a student driver who hasn't learned how to modulate the brakes and gas yet.

Reactions: evannole
The follow distance doesn't matter. I (almost) always have mine set to 7 and it happens about 1 in 5 times the traffic moves and stops again which means it happens every 1-2 minutes. This is at speeds < 15 mph. I don't ever use it for that reason. It is jarring enough for passengers to look up to see WTF is going on and fling my backback off the seat onto the floor. Worked great with lidar. Stop and go traffic works great on my 2023 rav4 and it also worked great on the Honda CRV I did a test drive on, so pretty much every car made 2022 or later with adaptive cruise control handles it better than a Tesla.

Reactions: E90alex
My daily work commute is in typical Atlanta stop-n-go traffic, half of which is on surface streets. I typically turn on AP when sitting in a long line of traffic but the experience is a bit of a let down. Each time the car ahead moves, my Tesla accelerates harder than than necessary only to come to a harder stop than it should a second later. Seems like the programming could be much smoother. Anyone else experiencing this? I find myself using it less and less because of this herky-jerky approach. It's like being in the car with a student driver who hasn't learned how to modulate the brakes and gas yet.
I'm in ATL as well. My experience is quite varied; 95% of the time, the car handles stop-and-go very adeptly and smoothly. (For what it's worth, the bulk of my stop-and-go driving is in the afternoon, heading north on the Connector between 166 and Midtown.)

Occasionally it behaves as you describe, with ridiculously hard acceleration from a dead stop, only to slam on the brakes when it closes the gap. This seems to happen most frequently after a software update; once I've been on a particular build for a few days, the bad behavior seems to largely go away. The following distance setting doesn't seem to matter; I usually have it at 6 or 7 but see similar behavior (bad just after a software installation, good otherwise) when it's set at 2 or 3.

it worked 10x better from 2018-2022. Before Tesla turned off radar. I'm considering small claims for it.
I bought and paid for something, it worked fine. then they made it much worse. Car slammed the brakes today for a shadow under a bridge! that never happened before!

Reactions: UserAnon99
What's your following distance set for? At 7, ours does pretty well in stop and go up to about 45mph. Above that, I usually take over.
I have it on 2. Wouldn't 7 be way behind other cars? I found that even 2 leaves too much of a gap. With 7, people would be cutting in front of me like crazy. I don't think that would work too well in ATL traffic.

I do get people cutting in maybe 1 or 2 times in 3-4 miles, but it's fine, I don't sweat it.

Sometimes I give it a bit of go pedal if it's lagging too much.

As usual, just because it works for me means nothing to anyone else.

Over 45, ish I usually take over if it's still variable traffic.

This is generally in Seattle or greater PNW (Portland, Spokane).