Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery always preconditioning in cold

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@ResHacker , was the 85 less efficient than this? In similar temps and without box on the roof I am above 300Wh/km even on longer drives and without battery heater (leaving from heated garage, preconditioned). Wondering if it’s a sign that the pack is getting older…
It's +- the same as upgraded just the battery... So during summer I'm able to get under 170Wh/km even I'm not trying to hypermile, just normal driving.. The overall whole year average consumption I have is +-206Wh/km (of course excluding pre-heating/climating, vampire drain and so...).

300Wh/km under your conditions seems quite high to me, what is your long average? I think in reality the RWD isn't much less efficient then AWD according to some tests...

Agree with the rwd/awd, but mine is 85D…
The lifetime consumption increased over the last 2y of ownership from 199Wh/km to 203Wh/km (180k km).
The last 70k km are at 209Wh/km.
This morning, -10 celsius, 19km started from heated garage (20 degrees, preconditioned), 335Wh/km.
My assumption is that the 85 pack discharges a lot faster these days

Agree with the rwd/awd, but mine is 85D…
Ah, ok, didn't realize..
Lifetime around 200-210Wh/km is totally ok.
335Wh/km even in -10°C while battery is warm seems quite high though... How much do you heat the cabin? Do you know your nominal capacity? It is possible to calculate it from what the car shows.. If you're facing high degradation, it might be also connected with increased internal resistance of the pack, who knows..

Is your car still showing 85 on dash or 100??
I've heard some weird temp optimizations Tesla doing for old 85 packs, in case ur car still thinks it's got one...

Otherwise I don't think it's normal.
I'm on older software on my X, with access to diagnostic mode but it shows Active heating target of 8C for normal n -16C for Range mode.

Is your car still showing 85 on dash or 100??
I've heard some weird temp optimizations Tesla doing for old 85 packs, in case ur car still thinks it's got one...

Otherwise I don't think it's normal.
I'm on older software on my X, with access to diagnostic mode but it shows Active heating target of 8C for normal n -16C for Range mode.
I see "100D" on the dash... but the truth is I have read or heard that I might have installed some bad temperature profile in the car, is that possible? I have also read in some article that 100kWh battery is much more sensitive to temperature in regard of fast charging which actually in my case is not true as the battery charges pretty fast even when it is cold or at least can get to the normal charging rates quite quickly...

Reactions: brainhouston
I see "100D" on the dash... but the truth is I have read or heard that I might have installed some bad temperature profile in the car, is that possible? I have also read in some article that 100kWh battery is much more sensitive to temperature in regard of fast charging which actually in my case is not true as the battery charges pretty fast even when it is cold or at least can get to the normal charging rates quite quickly...
I don't see how its possible unless u install it in some hacking way...
100kwh packs are more robust from what i'm hearing n reading. Reason for quicker charging is u got more cells in parallel.

Have u looked at SMT target temps?
Curious what u see for Active heating when it happens...

1702068070651.png

I don't see how its possible unless u install it in some hacking way...
100kwh packs are more robust from what i'm hearing n reading. Reason for quicker charging is u got more cells in parallel.

Have u looked at SMT target temps?
Curious what u see for Active heating when it happens...

View attachment 997697
Are those values valid for your P100D? Then I'd suppose it might be valid also for 100D as it's the same pack...

Really weird...now I entered the car parked in underground garage, current batt temp little bit over 8degC and in SMT I see this with Range mode on:
Screenshot_20231212-115851.png

And this with RM off:
Screenshot_20231212-115808.png

In both cases the heater didn't turn on.
The only thing which came to my mind is the fact, that I always run the navi due to possible traffic jams and on most of the destinations I usually drive to I have charged on AC. So the car may be preconditioning the battery even it is not announced like when I drive to Supercharger?

Last edited:
Looks like ur matching my temps now :)
Interesting but i don't think navigation triggers it unless u select a charger as destination
In any case easy to test it again...
Yes... now everything working as expected, driving on RM ON and no heating of battery... will have an eye on it nevertheless and try to find out if anything apart SCh can trigger it under RM... But what's quite of surprising for me, even when I'm mostly doing short distances while no hammering, the battery temperature goes up significantly.. Wondering whether just internal resistance of pack + some heat from engines is sufficient for such temp increase in battery....