Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery at 1% SOC at service center....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

sorka

Feb 28, 2015
Merced, CA
Week before last on Friday night, the service center plugged my Plaid in and charged it to 90% before leaving for the weekend. It sat at 90% plugged in all weekend.
Then on Friday, a few days ago, they left it unplugged at 12%. Tonight it hit 1% and will likely go into shutdown and then discharge the 12 volt battery by tomorrow morning since Sentry is enabled and it's vampire draining about 5% a day. If they're closed for the holiday, it will sit dead for probably 30+ hours. I know the main battery will shutdown with 4kwh or so left so it's not truly going to be dead.

Just how bad is this for the battery. It only has 500 miles on it.

Week before last on Friday night, the service center plugged my Plaid in and charged it to 90% before leaving for the weekend. It sat at 90% plugged in all weekend.
Then on Friday, a few days ago, they left it unplugged at 12%. Tonight it hit 1% and will likely go into shutdown and then discharge the 12 volt battery by tomorrow morning since Sentry is enabled and it's vampire draining about 5% a day. If they're closed for the holiday, it will sit dead for probably 30+ hours. I know the main battery will shutdown with 4kwh or so left so it's not truly going to be dead.

Just how bad is this for the battery. It only has 500 miles on it.
Oh man, that’s frustrating. I feel your pain.

Sentry is supposed to shutoff at like 20%. You should know better to leave that on in service. I’m surprised it dropped from 12% to 1%. Oh wait maybe it’s cabin protection that shuts off. I forget. But I thought most of that crap would shut off when it gets low.

No idea how much harm it could cause. But you better document it as best you can. It’s not great for the 12V battery either.

I was worried about when dropping my X off at a body shop. It was at 80% when I dropped it off. It was their for like 5 weeks. They immediately disconnect HV battery. When I picked it up it was literally at like 79%. They never charged it. Those batteries don’t self drain much. It’s all the electronics constantly running that drains it.

Reactions: sorka
Oh man, that’s frustrating. I feel your pain.

Sentry is supposed to shutoff at like 20%. You should know better to leave that on in service. I’m surprised it dropped from 12% to 1%. Oh wait maybe it’s cabin protection that shuts off. I forget. But I thought most of that crap would shut off when it gets low.

No idea how much harm it could cause. But you better document it as best you can.

I was worried about when dropping my X off at a body shop. It was at 80% when I dropped it off. It was their for like 5 weeks. They immediately disconnect HV battery. When I picked it up it was literally at like 79%. They never charged it. Those batteries don’t self drain much. It’s all the electronics constantly running that drains it.

Right. That's why I'm not worried about it dropping below the the 4% that it will really have when it hits 0% displayed, but still, not sure how good it is to leave it at that level for 30+ hours. I'll bet it not as bad as leaving it at 100% for a long time.

Cabin overtheat disables below 20%, but not Sentry. I just assumed that since they unplug dashcams that when it was put into service mode it would automatically disable Sentry.

Reactions: mswlogo
Was sitting at 0% this morning. Now it's back up to 90% which I previously complained about and they said they'd lower the max charge slider down but they never did. I'm a year's of battery aging in just this one month that they've had it.

Was sitting at 0% this morning. Now it's back up to 90% which I previously complained about and they said they'd lower the max charge slider down but they never did. I'm a year's of battery aging in just this one month that they've had it.
Ugh. At least they charged it. Do you have full control?

One thing I read up on after seeing your post. Not to fast charge it when it’s so low. Reason is, at low SOC the internal resistance is highest. Which results in the highest heat. BMS probably knows what to do though.

Take a screenshot and send it to Tesla corporate showing them the service center is screwing up your car.

Take a screenshot and send it to Tesla corporate showing them the service center is screwing up your car.
Like this one?
Screenshot_20220805-205732_Photos.jpg

So on Monday, I asked them to lower my charge percentage from 84 percent to 50 because I forgot to do when dropping off the previous week...again. The next day the did so and charged it from 14% to 50%. It sat all weekend in the san with no cabin overheat protection. This is about the 3rd time I've had to call them on that.

Then on Wednesday morning, for whatever reason, they set the charge percent to 100 and charged it to 100. They weren't done because they're still waiting on a part....which I didn't know at the time. So I drive from Merced to Fremont, because nobody is responding in the app, and walk in to confront them about it being at 100%. It was still sitting on the supercharger inside the service center more than two hours after it finished charging. My SA was out for the day and they had no clue as to who moved it there and charged it to 100%. This literally 48 hours after I asked them to reduce the max charge to 50 and 24 hours after they responded to that and changed it to 50.