Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery Conditioning Notice

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
En route to a Supercharger in West Texas, got a brand new notice, "Conditioning battery for charge". After plugging in, went for coffee: on return, I noticed I had received no charge, although, onset of charge was seen on monitor before walking to coffee. Re-started the Supercharge without incident. What did I do wrong?

Anytime a SC is the destination on Navigation, the conditioning battery notification pops up. Every single time. Have you entered superchargers as destinations on the Navigation before?
How did you "re-start" the supercharge? Just unplug it and tried it again?
I think we need a little more information here.

... got a brand new notice, "Conditioning battery for charge"....

Welcome to last year.:D Here is a pic from June 2019.
IMG_0640.jpeg

Reactions: coconutboy84
The preconditioning notice is one that has been there for a month or so.

As you may well start to do now, ALWAYS VERIFY that charging has started. Should be able to see the screen appear as you plug the car in. Make sure that it is ramping up to the speeds that you are expecting.

Aside from chargers that may be in trouble, it is also possible that you didn't get good plug insertion.

Reactions: RedModel3
The preconditioning notice is one that has been there for a month or so.

As you may well start to do now, ALWAYS VERIFY that charging has started. Should be able to see the screen appear as you plug the car in. Make sure that it is ramping up to the speeds that you are expecting.

Aside from chargers that may be in trouble, it is also possible that you didn't get good plug insertion.
JulienW's earlier post has a picture from June 2019 showing the preconditioning notice. That indicates the notice has been there at least 8 months.

Reactions: MacGreiner and UTMB
Others have addressed preconditioning. Regarding the lack of charge though, I've recently had a charger massively drop charge rate (I think from 120kW down to 22kW) for no apparent reason after about 3 full minutes. Thankfully I was still in the car and noticed. I moved to another stall and it was fine after that. These things unfortunately just happen sometimes.

In the app, you can change what you get notifications for. There's a notification for charging being stopped, enable that so you at least get a notification if it fully halts. In my case this would not have helped, but in others it may.

• Helpful
Reactions: Potpourri
JulienW's earlier post has a picture from June 2019 showing the preconditioning notice. That indicates the notice has been there at least 8 months.

I got my car in September and the preconditioning notice when going to a SC has shown up every single time.
In fact, I got laughed at when I thought that lying to the car and saying I'm going to a SC when I was going home to charge was a good idea to prep the battery. Turns out I was just wasting energy, but the preconditioning notification was on the entire time no matter how angry the Nav got that I was taking wrong turns lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: Potpourri