Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery consumption, is this normal?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi fellow owners. I’m new to this EV lifestyle, and i’m hoping that someone can help me with understanding what kind of range I should be getting.

I got my first model Y performance at the end of August, and I am based out of Toronto. I normally charge every night to 90% I can go downtown approximately 20 miles/32 km and it usually brings me down to about 80% and about the same to get home. I was recently at the Tesla showroom talking to one of the sales guys because I was asking him about tips for a long trip and he was telling me that the model X and the model Y they had taken for a demo to roughly about the same distance as a drive every day and there was only like 3% battery loss each way. So I’m wondering am I just not getting good fuel economy or is it something I’m doing. I will attach a couple of pictures I took showing the consumption going downtown and then returning back. Any assistance or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• 10F01232-9C5B-4012-A29F-200B324B9AEF.jpeg
    10F01232-9C5B-4012-A29F-200B324B9AEF.jpeg
    398.7 KB · Views: 243
  • CF28AA5F-1A57-48C2-B96B-29212B520429.jpeg
    CF28AA5F-1A57-48C2-B96B-29212B520429.jpeg
    417.4 KB · Views: 219
I wish I can achieve the consumption like you :)
My one-way commute to work from Whitby to Scarborough is 40km and I always take Hwy 7 to Markham Rd then go south. It usually takes 8-10% in summer (20" with PS4, 20C cabin temperature) but it increases to 12-15% in winter (19" with X-Ice, 19C cabin temperature) with my MY LR. And it used 20% to get home from work today with the snowstorm plus high wind on the same route :)
My average is 192wh/km on 34600km since December 2021 including trips to Boston & Colorado, all on Interstates with speed limit between 65 to 70.
Also I don't have a charger at home so I don't even pre-condition the car in winter except for 5-10 mins to warm the cabin. There are free chargers in the office so I charge it to 90% on my work days.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
Wow thanks for the feedback. What kills me is the guy at Yorkdale telling me he went from Yorkdale to Markham and only used 3%. He also said he had the car on warming for hours at their demo. I’m in Markham (14TH and Markham Rd). I have see the range get worse with the colder weather. At the end of August I went up to a Sega and it used up about 41% to go 140 km so I’ve always been worried about going on a bigger trip and we are looking to go to Florida in the next few days

Upvote 0
Don't worry too much especially you are on road trips in the States, they have way more Superchargers than us in Canada.
I just finished the trip to Pikes Peak in Colorado last month, 6000km round trip. There are more than enough Superchargers along most Interstates and I have a CCS adapter so I can use Electrify America or other CCS chargers.
You may want to invest a CCS Adapter if it gives you a sense of security but honestly they are not as reliable as Superchargers. When I want to save some dollars by using Electrify America, I always plan to use one that is close to a Supercharger just in case EA doesn't work :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
Don't worry too much especially you are on road trips in the States, they have way more Superchargers than us in Canada.
I just finished the trip to Pikes Peak in Colorado last month, 6000km round trip. There are more than enough Superchargers along most Interstates and I have a CCS adapter so I can use Electrify America or other CCS chargers.
You may want to invest a CCS Adapter if it gives you a sense of security but honestly they are not as reliable as Superchargers. When I want to save some dollars by using Electrify America, I always plan to use one that is close to a Supercharger just in case EA doesn't work :)
Thanks will look into that.

Upvote 0
Guys thanks for all the replies, it’s really helpful to understand what is considered good and normal. Here are some pictures showing my trip in both miles and Kilometres. Trip B is my entire trip from Markham ontario to Fort Lauderdale for a few days then the rest of the time was in Miami Beach. And Trip A shows the drive from South Beach Miami to Markham ontario. There wasn’t much driving within Fort Lauderdale or South Beach once we got to our hotel. The cost of charging was $248 Canadian and $220 Canadian on the way back. Was going on average about 80 miles per hour.

Attachments

• CA1FD6D3-03A6-442F-A1E1-37DA69204EA0.jpeg
    CA1FD6D3-03A6-442F-A1E1-37DA69204EA0.jpeg
    231.9 KB · Views: 143
  • A7AE7A0D-06F6-4F8E-B88A-BA964CE54D87.jpeg
    A7AE7A0D-06F6-4F8E-B88A-BA964CE54D87.jpeg
    318.5 KB · Views: 94
Upvote 0
TMYPTO: Your numbers look the same as mine. I just returned from a 2k mile roadtrip, Fort Worth to Phoenix. Ambient temps 50-60f. Winds 10-15mph, mostly from the SW, meaning headwind going, tailwind returning.
I enjoy driving 75-85mph (W. Texas, New Mexico, Arizona), and rarely got consumption below 350 wh/mi. Perfectly acceptable, as there are Superchargers along the entire route (I20, I10). Zero range anxiety, no expectation of getting anywhere near EPA rating.

YMMV!

Upvote 0
TMYPTO: Your numbers look the same as mine. I just returned from a 2k mile roadtrip, Fort Worth to Phoenix. Ambient temps 50-60f. Winds 10-15mph, mostly from the SW, meaning headwind going, tailwind returning.
I enjoy driving 75-85mph (W. Texas, New Mexico, Arizona), and rarely got consumption below 350 wh/mi. Perfectly acceptable, as there are Superchargers along the entire route (I20, I10). Zero range anxiety, no expectation of getting anywhere near EPA rating.

YMMV!
Curious how much was the total cost for the trip from Fort Worth to Phoenix

Upvote 0