Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery day disappointments?! Elon on twitter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Holding out hope for updates to the X, as S & X aren’t “serious high-volume production” vehicles. I’ll be surprised if there’s no sort of update on S & X, but who knows, as this whole thing is a bit of a mystery box. All that being said, I put in my order for an X earlier today, hoping that my gamble pays off :)

I think it's good that he tweeted this. Too many people think that battery day means Tesla is going to be announcing a zillion mile battery, to be phased into S, X, Y, and 3 production the next day, with no price increase. Anything less than that is going to be a crushing disappointment for those with unreasonable expectations.

Battery day is going to be like autonomy day: "This is the technology we're pursuing. This is how it's looking. This is where we think it's going to take us in the next 12 to 24 months..." etc. Not a new product unveiling for the next day.

Has Tesla ever had a planned event and announced immediately available upgraded product? The problem with that approach is training customer to not buy product once an announcement of an event is made.

I suppose they could announce an S/X refresh and do a fire sale on current product. But it's tricky to no cause themselves future problems.

Reactions: SSonnentag
Smart to diffuse all the speculation a bit. There's so much speculation going on and it's spanning across all things Tesla that many might be disappointed, so it's good of him to pour a bit of cold water in this head of this highly-anticipated event.

That said, as long as he promises me my Cybertruck by the end of September 2020, I'll be content. :)

Has Tesla ever had a planned event and announced immediately available upgraded product? The problem with that approach is training customer to not buy product once an announcement of an event is made.

AP1 hardware was already shipping in the Model S before it was announced (late 2014).

Bruce.

The million mile battery is for the semi. By the time I hit a million miles in the model 3 we will be driving model 6. It's not useful in regular vehicles. It would make more sense to reduce upfront cost.

I think we will see some big batteries for the truck and then they will surprise us with a boat. Maybe a partnership with a company we didn't expect.

The million mile battery is for the semi. By the time I hit a million miles in the model 3 we will be driving model 6. It's not useful in regular vehicles.
The only way it would make sense in a regular vehicle is if V2G were a thing. Then you could use your car's battery to store off peak grid energy and sell it back at a higher rate. So in other words you would be charging to near 100%, and discharging to near zero a lot. Software would control how much you sell back...maybe a lot some days, but none if you needed it for a trip.

The only way it would make sense in a regular vehicle is if V2G were a thing. Then you could use your car's battery to store off peak grid energy and sell it back at a higher rate. So in other words you would be charging to near 100%, and discharging to near zero a lot. Software would control how much you sell back...maybe a lot some days, but none if you needed it for a trip.

Yea that would be cool. Model 3 power walls.

The hype has been so crazy over the last few weeks that anything short of miraculous doubling of battery capacity/charging power is going to be a disappointment. Turning this in a 12-24 months roadmap is more realistic. Still, folks are going to be disappointed if there's no news about Plaid updates to the S and X.

I have been waiting for 9 months to buy an X, even though there has been no really talk about updates to S and X I am still holding out just incase. Hoping for longer range, faster charging and a cheaper price (which will most likely come in a year or two). Everything else talked about today I really do nor care about.

I hope so too since they badly need to be updated. If there are no updates, I will likely trade my X for a Y Perf.

Reactions: Ryshaw