Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery degradation hidden in energy consumption?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good news + weirdness.

I ran my battery down to 12%, with a few hour trip I needed to do after a full day of driving around with other stuff on Sunday. I then changed the Setpoint to 100% SOC and left overnight. Now instead of 99% = 282 miles. This responded with 99% = 286, and then after using about 8% yesterday (in two legs, so vehicle stood at 95% for a chunk of the day I took to 100% last evening to get 288 miles.

Another 8% today and right now my car is charging, and this is the weird part I've NEVER seen before, with SOC at 100% and current still at 6A for 2kW rate (!). Normally it isn't that high at 99% much less still going when reporting 100%. I haven't checked the miles display yet, I will when charging shuts off.

P.S. Likely not any impact but for completeness I had a Ranger out today replacing my screen. I didn't mention my battery woes until he was leaving, so anything he might have done wouldn't have been prompted by me.

Last edited:
Reactions: VT_EE
Sounds like your battery was way out of balance.
Agreed.

Which is a pretty strong datapoint suggesting that balancing does NOT happen at 90% SOC, since that was where my car's SOC set point was at for most of the prior 8,000 miles (and never higher than that).

For some reason the BMS decided that "out of balance" was the new normal, and decided that where it stopped was the new 99%. That's sub-optimal but I guess there are limits to how much an algorithm can properly track when you spend several thousand miles without balancing? Or at least a good deal of difficulty with it. Maybe one of the patches also inherently had to wipe that historic data, which lead to a large widespread drop in vehicles. They all now need to go through a thorough rebalance to build up the historical data required?

Reactions: VT_EE