Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery degradation on lease

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I haven't seen a lease agreement but if anyone else has... is there anything about battery degradation in it from the driver charging to max range too often or charging to 90% all the time?

Edit: I thought I was under the battery forum. If this can be moved that would be great.

Last edited:
My question is though, for those who lease, does Tesla check this and charge any sort of fee for what they may consider overuse? As in if somene charged to 100% everyday for three years, and then went to turn their car in at the end of the lease. Would this cause substantial degradation to the point of Tesla getting upset.

Your battery will degrade over time even if you don't move it at all. The question always it how much and over what length of time.
I'm down 12% over two years.
12%??? I think that might be the highest level of degradation reported here on TMC. my 2 year old car had lost maybe a mile of two of range and that may have been because of changes in the algorithms

I do not recall any posts on TMC describing that. Talk to Tesla and ask your question.

I can tell you that Tesla does not recommend you charge to 100% on a daily or near daily basis.

Why don't you describe your likely car usage needs; your average daily drive, how often you drive more than 200 miles in a day, where you live and how far you are from Superchargers, how you plan to charge the car at your home.

I suspect it is not necessary for you to charge to 100% every day. If in fact it is necessary, than a Tesla may not be the right car for you.

OK, except for two trips to the Outer Banks 400 miles each, the run up to Toronto and the drive to Charolette NC the only other 200 mile plus drive was our weekly trip to Baltimore and that when on from September of 2015 to February of 2016. I also did the Reach The Beach Rally last year, that amounted to 300 miles for the week-end give or take a little.

My normal drive day: 3 mile round trip to the train, may be a trip to the super market and on the week end a ten mile trip for shopping or dinner. And, yes, there are days when I put on a couple hundred mile in a day. However,I can count on one hand the number of time I did a 100% charge, and yes I jump on a supercharger once or twice a month. We did put on a ton of miles between September 2015 and February 2016. I don't think that should affect battery degradation.

I keep hearing that the rate if decline will slow down, but I have not sen it.

Just so this thread stays on point -- this has nothing to do with my personal usage or anyone's usage or driving style or anything like that.

I am just wondering if Tesla takes battery degradation into account on lease turn in and if they do, do they consider some amount over a threshold to be excess wear and tear... I'll talk to Tesla sometime soon as today is the last day I can make any design studio changes. If charging to 100% every day is so bad for the battery, you'd think they'd protect themselves from someone doing it to their car for 3 years?

OK, except for two trips to the Outer Banks 400 miles each, the run up to Toronto and the drive to Charolette NC the only other 200 mile plus drive was our weekly trip to Baltimore and that when on from September of 2015 to February of 2016. I also did the Reach The Beach Rally last year, that amounted to 300 miles for the week-end give or take a little.

My normal drive day: 3 mile round trip to the train, may be a trip to the super market and on the week end a ten mile trip for shopping or dinner. And, yes, there are days when I put on a couple hundred mile in a day. However,I can count on one hand the number of time I did a 100% charge, and yes I jump on a supercharger once or twice a month. We did put on a ton of miles between September 2015 and February 2016. I don't think that should affect battery degradation.

I keep hearing that the rate if decline will slow down, but I have not sen it.
You do NOT likely have 12% degradation. You probably have need for calibration and/or balancing. Repeated charging below 90% and seldom discharging to less than 20% can cause algorithm to lose accuracy. Read up, there are tons of threads on this. Look for"decreasing rated range"
Just so this thread stays on point -- this has nothing to do with my personal usage or anyone's usage or driving style or anything like that.

I am just wondering if Tesla takes battery degradation into account on lease turn in and if they do, do they consider some amount over a threshold to be excess wear and tear... I'll talk to Tesla sometime soon as today is the last day I can make any design studio changes. If charging to 100% every day is so bad for the battery, you'd think they'd protect themselves from someone doing it to their car for 3 years?
Read the lease! If it's not in there, it's not in there.

Read the lease! If it's not in there, it's not in there.

It is not that straightforward.

My lease explicitly calls out specific examples of excessive wear (scratches longer than a certain length, tires below certain tread depth, etc), but also states that excessive wear items are not limited to those examples. Everything outside the explicitly listed examples of excessive wear is open to interpretation.

If your battery "degradation" is abnormal, and they ding you for it, you could counter that the battery must be defective in some way. Being a new owner but reading many of these posts it seems unlikely you could degrade the battery in such a significant way unless you were negligent or really tried to... I believe Elon tweeted that charging to 90% is ideal -- so do that -- and use range charge only when needed. That's about all that's in your control so don't worry about anything else...

I am leasing. No issue with charging as you like. 90% is the suggested charge level for daily driving, but you are not precluded from range charging any time you want. Any degradation would be minimal in 3 years. Anything unusual would be covered by warranty. Either way, it won't be on you. The suggested maintenance is not required by the lease either. I'm way less stressed about doing everything just so with the car under lease. The reality is that the car is very forgiving. However, if I owned, I'd probably obsess over doing everything perfectly to ensure I got the absolute max out of a very expensive car.