Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery depletion in winter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Use this to open your garage door from inside your warm house before starting your car:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07JH2J2NQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

What do you think is used to open a garage door? These things don't work from very far away. There's no way I'd fire up an ICE inside my garage door EVEN IF the door was open. On top of that, I would have no visualization that the door was actually open until I got to the car anyway.
If your post here was a joke, you got me lol. I can't tell if the link was sarcasm or not so I ran with it:confused:

What do you think is used to open a garage door? These things don't work from very far away. There's no way I'd fire up an ICE inside my garage door EVEN IF the door was open. On top of that, I would have no visualization that the door was actually open until I got to the car anyway.
If your post here was a joke, you got me lol. I can't tell if the link was sarcasm or not so I ran with it:confused:

They sell a lot of cars with remote start, and a lot of stereo shops have installed remote start on cars that don't come with that feature. What you want to do with your life and what you refuse to do with your life doesn't change that ICE cars can warm up the cabin on a cold day before you get in them. So even if you didn't mean to make a joke, your post made me LOL

Because there is never any wind in the winter that could blow the exhaust back into my garage????

That same wind blows fresh air into the garage too, right?

I am on my second EV, and I will probably buy more of them, so it's not like I hate them, but credit where credit is due. I can't stand when EV fanboys pretend like their EVs can do things ICE cars can't.

I am on my second EV, and I will probably buy more of them, so it's not like I hate them, but credit where credit is due. I can't stand when EV fanboys pretend like their EVs can do things ICE cars can't.

The difference (apart from the CO issue) is that preheating an EV doesn't hurt anything (especially if doing it on shore power)

pre-heating an ICE means letting it sit there idling for 10+ minutes...and idling (in general, and especially long/cold idling) is terrible for internal combustion engines.

So there's that.

Cold gas engines run rich, combustion tends to be incomplete, less oil protection in the cylinders, etc... not to mention it takes a ton longer to actually warm up the engine compared to getting in and driving it.

There's a reason excessive idling is usually listed among the criteria in owners manuals for "severe duty" maintenance schedules.

Which would we want heating up in our garage?

hd-aspect-1486579173-exhaust.gif

or

c3c11298a5dc0552978ac5a8da264976.jpg

Hmmmm. I wonder

Are you run the back up generator in the garage guy too? I mean, if the garage door is open it’s okay to run the generator in the garage right?

You have to be kidding me. If you fire up your car inside your garage with the door open, you're not much smarter than doing it while closed. I've known people who have a generator running with the garage door open and the police will stop in and tell them to knock it the F off.

Last edited:
Reactions: SunCharged

They sell a lot of cars with remote start, and a lot of stereo shops have installed remote start on cars that don't come with that feature. What you want to do with your life and what you refuse to do with your life doesn't change that ICE cars can warm up the cabin on a cold day before you get in them. So even if you didn't mean to make a joke, your post made me LOL

Seriously man, I can't tell if you're serious. I want to take this farther but you're going to LOL this and say it was a ruse to get us going. Don't want to waste my time. Obviously cars of all makes/models can have remote starters. Who said otherwise?
You can safely warm up an EV inside a closed garage. Maybe the issue here is that you've been doing that with your ICE and things seem a little foggy? Not to be all scientist here, but carbon monoxide can do funny things to you.

Reactions: SunCharged
Can you please elaborate on this? First time I'm hearing it, and I've been around cars for a while.

Really? Pretty commonly discussed issue... some examples

Is Idling in Winter Bad for Your Car? | Completely Firestone

in cold weather, gas is less likely to evaporate, which in turn throws off the ratio of air and vaporized fuel. Electronic fuel-injected engines compensate for cold weather by adding more gas to the mixture. Until the engine heats up to 40 degrees Fahrenheit, the engine will continue to “run rich.”

This becomes problematic because the extra fuel can get onto the cylinder walls. Gasoline is a solvent, meaning it can deteriorate the walls if you idle in cold conditions for an extended period.

Is idling bad for your engine?

During idling engine does not work at its most efficient mode, and the fuel combustion is incomplete. That leads to glazing of combustion chamber and reducing effectiveness of spark plugs in petrol engines (plugs with heavy deposits can foul, and that can reduce fuel consumption by 4 to 5%). Also petrol can contaminate the motor oil which reduces its lubricating qualities (that could mean more frequent oil changes and/or increased wear on the engine).

Also, as the engine runs at less than ideal operating temperature, which causes water vapour (a product of combustion) to accumulate in exhaust system (at proper temperature and at higher speed of exiting gasses caused by increased RPMs it clears out pretty good), which leads to corrosion. Also, idling produces up to 10–12% more emissions than driving for the same amount of petrol used due to incomplete combustion and ineffective operation of catalytic converter.

Lots of variations on those themes- plus as I mention owners manuals almost universally include "excessive idling" as a reason to put a car on the "severe duty" maintenance schedule since it's bad for the engine and oil.

Can you please elaborate on this? First time I'm hearing it, and I've been around cars for a while.
Extended idling is always a problem. Police vehicles have special charging and cooling systems to allow extended idling. The main problem however is environmental. Pollution is heavy during idling. Modern engines handle idling better than they did in the past. The medium size county I managed for many years maintained a large fleet. This was a problem for us.

Reactions: toolman335

I have known at least 5 people who can trace engine issues back to excessive idling. None of them had a garage and "needed" a fully warmed up car before going anywhere in the winter. Before work in the morning, after work, and anywhere else they were. I compare it to smoking. You can do it to make you feel all warm and fuzzy, it produces a nasty by-product, and it kills you far quicker than normal in an unpleasant manner.

Was your car sleeping immediately before you left ? If yes, maybe teslafi hadn't yet got a battery reading between waking the car and starting to drive. If this happens, battery loss since the car last woke up might be included in your drive. You should be able to check by looking at help -> raw data feed and seeing what the minute by minute readings were.

Sorry for the late reply. My original comment is on page 3 with a screenshot of a 5% efficiency drive. Turok's theory is correct because it was a rare case of me not preheating the car. Teslafi must have a bug that could tack on range loss from a full night of sleeping to your next drive in the morning. When I checked the ending range of my sleeps before and after that 18 mile range loss, it seems like I only lost 3 miles. I will report this bug to Teslafi

tesla_anomoly.jpg

I just wanted to add an anecdote from this past weekend with our '17 S 100D. We regularly do a ~350 mile drive from (Philadelphia) PA to (Stratton Mountain) VT. While we had previously had access to a regular L1 outlet for "trickle charging," unfortunately our condo association removed them all this summer, and the on-mountain Chargepoint chargers aren't yet online.

So... we charged up to around 93% from Albany, NY Superchargers and parked at Stratton Mountain, VT on Friday night with 199mi of range showing or 61% remaining and parked for the next 4 days. (It's about 80mi from Albany, up hill, and dropping temps.) Temps during the entire time we were parked were high teens (F) at night and high 20s (F) during the daytime. On Tuesday, basically 4 days later, our range was 188mi or 57%.

During this period, I NEVER checked the car status via the app. In the older Model S, you can also enable "Energy Saver" and disable "Always Connected," which I feel helped in this case. (TeslaFi shows the car largely slept with an occasional wakeup to condition the battery.)

While regen was obviously severely limited for the first part of the drive on Tuesday, we did preheat (to help melt the snow that had accumulated) that helped somewhat, but ultimately our trip back to Albany, NY resulted in us arriving with 23%. (This was slightly lower than expected because I couldn't safely get the snow off of the hood that had melted/refroze, so I think we suffered a large drag hit. The moment we backed into the Supercharger, it all slid off in the 40F temps.)

Reactions: toolman335