Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery depletion in winter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had an interesting little trip this last Sunday where the temps were around -2 to -10 F the whole day. Also had a cold soak in there for a few hours and was outside for a total of about 8 hours. Left the house with about 90%. Drove 60 miles at about 65 mph and HVAC set to around 69 (for infant). Did some little trips around the destination city with a small amount of preheating here and there. We ended up being low enough that we felt we needed to Supercharge before we headed back home (60 miles again). Supercharging started off at 25 kW and eventually got to 35 kW. Pretty crazy what extreme cold can do to even a long range battery.

What was your trip meter power consumption?

I'm taking quite a hit to my efficiency, but I was expecting that due to lack of regen braking, preheating, driving with the heat on, and short drives. My best month was 91% and in December I had 58%.

I did find something rather shocking today when I looked at my Teslafi. I don't know if it had to do with lack of preheating the car (which I typically do, but just forgot this morning), but I lost 18 miles of range on a 1 mile drive. I have a pretty heavy foot, but I didn't floor it and I've never seen anything like this:

telsa_wtf.jpg

I'm taking quite a hit to my efficiency, but I was expecting that due to lack of regen braking, preheating, driving with the heat on, and short drives. My best month was 91% and in December I had 58%.

I did find something rather shocking today when I looked at my Teslafi. I don't know if it had to do with lack of preheating the car (which I typically do, but just forgot this morning), but I lost 18 miles of range on a 1 mile drive. I have a pretty heavy foot, but I didn't floor it and I've never seen anything like this:

View attachment 503555

It probably has something to do with the 3618 wh/mile...... jeeeeeeze thats high!

View attachment 503555

Was your car sleeping immediately before you left ? If yes, maybe teslafi hadn't yet got a battery reading between waking the car and starting to drive. If this happens, battery loss since the car last woke up might be included in your drive. You should be able to check by looking at help -> raw data feed and seeing what the minute by minute readings were.

• Helpful
Reactions: jjfash
I've noticed that preconditioning uses a lot of energy now due to battery heating. 7 kW battery heating (dual motor) plus 6 kW cabin heating for the first several minutes of preconditioning. That ramps down once the cabin warms up, but the battery can continue heating for 20 minutes or more. My 20 minutes of preconditioning this morning used 5% SOC, which is more than the 8 mile highway drive to work uses.

I'd like to request that Tesla separate cabin heating from battery heating so you don't have to throw so much energy at warming up the battery if you're just going to be making a bunch of short trips around town.

Reactions: toolman335
I've noticed that preconditioning uses a lot of energy now due to battery heating. 7 kW battery heating (dual motor) plus 6 kW cabin heating for the first several minutes of preconditioning. That ramps down once the cabin warms up, but the battery can continue heating for 20 minutes or more. My 20 minutes of preconditioning this morning used 5% SOC, which is more than the 8 mile highway drive to work uses.

I'd like to request that Tesla separate cabin heating from battery heating so you don't have to throw so much energy at warming up the battery if you're just going to be making a bunch of short trips around town.
I've had pretty bad Wh/mi in CT this winter. A lot of it is due to battery heating, so the first 10 miles or so of any trip are awful. If you do a bunch of short trips, you will get terrible efficiency.

Absolutely love my car, but it is frustrating to drive a CA designed car in CT! I can't even imagine how tough it is for you guys in Canada.
Are we sure the battery is being heated specifically while driving without selecting a supercharger?

I have seen crazy usage if it is cold out and I am driving very short distances.

Are we sure the battery is being heated specifically while driving without selecting a supercharger?

I have seen crazy usage if it is cold out and I am driving very short distances.

Yes, but to a lower target temperature than Supercharging. I believe preconditioning sets a target of 10C, while Supercharger preconditioning sets a target of 55C. I don't have a CAN sniffer, so I can't confirm.

We should all agree that electric car performance in extremely cold climates remains one of the greatest areas of improvement for EVs. Telling people to lower their heat, or buy 12V electric blankets, or drive slower, or that they're morons, etc., won't accelerate EV adoption. The average person is completely disinterested and won't be doing the obsessive math to figure it out - it simply has to work.

A Tesla is great in cold climates. I never get into a cold car anymore. And that is priceless in winter!

Why is it that EV owners act like they have no idea how ICE cars work these days?

Do you not know that many ICE cars have remote start? Our Mercedes GLC comes with an app just like the Tesla, and it's just the same to start the car and warm the cabin. If you need to open the garage door to make that possible, they also make something called a garage door remote.

I see high power usage in the first few kms when it's cold and I haven't preheated as well but I've never seen such high values. Note that I've seen errors in the way TeslaFi reports data. It's limited by the Tesla api it calls and the values that returns. Your actual consumption might be a bit lower. Check the per-minute logs in the prior sleep and the drive in case you see anything weird. We have to remember that this big power draw is in the first few minutes of driving. Once the car heats up, the power draw is a lot less so the range isn't so bad in the cold.

I confirm active battery heating under ~10C when preheating the car. Once you start driving there is no preheating.

Why is it that EV owners act like they have no idea how ICE cars work these days?

Do you not know that many ICE cars have remote start? Our Mercedes GLC comes with an app just like the Tesla, and it's just the same to start the car and warm the cabin. If you need to open the garage door to make that possible, they also make something called a garage door remote.

I may sound dumb here, but you can open a garage door remotely from your phone? I've never heard of that. I turn my Tesla on inside the garage from the third story of my house when I wake up. There's zero chance that my door opener would work from that far away. In fact, I hate garage door openers. The contacts go bad so quickly. Sometimes I have to be 3 feet away to activate it.
There's simply no way that an ICE vehicle warms up the cabin as quickly as an EV. I'll flip it and say you act like us EV owners never owned an ICE lol. I drove many different types of ICE vehicles for 26 years until I got my EV 4 months ago.
Wait, how do you drive an ICE again? :confused::confused::confused:

My last two cars were diesels(2 different companies) that got fantastic mileage.....when it wasn't winter. In the winter they'd lose 20%. With gas engines you don't lose as much as a diesel, but .they still take a LOT longer to heat up than an EV. My car cabin warms up quicker than I can grab my gym bag and get out to the vehicle.
No one likes reduced range, but I've been blown away by how much more enjoyable this winter has been having an EV compared to an ICE. I knew I'd like this car, but it has been so much better than I thought it would be.

I have an ICE car with remote state and a Tesla and live in Minnesota. There's a world of difference. First, auto start means I have to open the garage. Second, idling a car to war it up is horrible for the environment so I really try to avoid it if possible. Lastly, it takes significantly longer for the ICE car to warm up. Sure you CAN do it, but the process is much better.

Frankly, the loss of range in the cold so far isn't a huge deal. Most city driving I don't need nearly the max range. Even in cold weather the efficiency is better on extended drives. I'd take my Tesla and day.

Ahhhh I love filling my garage with delicious carbon monoxide in the morning. You are right, I miss that! (Said no one ever)