Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery Fuse Replacement 2016 Model S 90D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just received the quote back from Tesla.

They are putting in v2 of the fuse. Total cost, $208.25

I've confirmed the following internally which others have speculated or discovered:

1. The error is timer based which is why all us 2016 owners are seeing this all of the sudden.

2. The fuse is "dumb" so the car can't read the voltage from the pyro battery. Meaning everything could be fine with it, or the internal battery to the fuse could be completely dead. The fuses function is to explosivly disconnect the HV battery in the event the airbags trigger. Kinda cool.

3. The v2.0 replacement is not timer based.

4. Internal documentation confused employees where the word "battery" was mentioned, hence people getting $11k quotes. There wasn't any warning to employees that this error would be on the horizon. Internally, documentation has been updated, hence the more reasonable quotes.

5. Cost should be $113.75 for the part and half a shop hour to do. So total cost may differ slightly by region.

6. Confirmed that after 48hrs with the error, car appears to drive fine. The error message cannot be dismissed. Level 1/2/3 charging still works as expected. That includes supercharging. I'm waiting on service to respond on if there is a hard shutdown timer on the horizon as I'm a considerable distance from my home service center.

7. If you DIY, the car needs to be updated internally that you have the v2.0 pyro. This isn't done automatically and can't be done from any user exposed settings. Toolbox would be needed.

Exactly.
The original overcurrent sensor/pyro fuse was powered by a non-replaceable non-rechargeable pair of batteries with a finite service life. It has no communication with the vehicle, so the car's software has an expiration date it is tracking.

The new version is self powered by the tiny voltage drop across the sensing element.

The service manual calls out dropping the pack. Plus you are dealing with the main high voltage high current circuits. $243 sounds like a great price (and I DIY my ICE cars).
What does my ICE cars mean? How long can we drive with the alert on. Tesla service $350 for the fuse and $225 for the general diagnostic. And not covered under warranty. I'm arguing over the diagnostic charge of $225. Just wondering how long I can drive with it.

What does my ICE cars mean? How long can we drive with the alert on. Tesla service $350 for the fuse and $225 for the general diagnostic. And not covered under warranty. I'm arguing over the diagnostic charge of $225. Just wondering how long I can drive with it.
Waiting on service to tell me if I'm driving a ticking time bomb. There should be no diagnostic charge as the error is the diagnosis. It could be that the fuse is located on top of the battery in some models. If that's the case, I can see the high shop time to drop the battery (~350). In the 90's, it looks like the fuse is in the bottom, just behind the front passenger wheel. So obviously it's less time and effort.

I would agree 100% that this should be warranty work. The fuse is part of the HV pack, AKA "battery", which has the unlimited mile/8 year warranty for most.

Reactions: GSP
I hope it's the one in the frunk fusebox (and not the one in the battery pack that the Youtube video referred to and another post on this thread talked about dropping the battery pack..)
1689779122429.png

It was clarification that even though I DIY my internal combustion cars (including engine rebuilds and swaps) I would have Tesla change this part.

Post #41 indicates SvC were not up to speed on the issue, shouldn't need a diagnostic. I'd seen a post saying the alert starts 6 months ahead of projected end of life, no idea if the car self disables at that point or just gets more naggy.

Reactions: supratachophobia
My turn. Got the warning yesterday. 2015 Model S P85D (Jan build). My 2016 Model X (May build) hasn't yet popped up the warning but I bet it will.

Interested to know how invasive this procedure actually is as the service tech is telling me that I'll have to ship my car to Oahu to have it performed.

My turn. Got the warning yesterday. 2015 Model S P85D (Jan build). My 2016 Model X (May build) hasn't yet popped up the warning but I bet it will.

Interested to know how invasive this procedure actually is as the service tech is telling me that I'll have to ship my car to Oahu to have it performed.
From service.tesla.com (free access for anyone)
Remove the pack
Remove the fuse cover
Remove fuse
Replace fuse
Verify resistance to bus bars
Replace cover
Add sealant
Replace pack

(With lots of intermediate cleaning and safety steps)

there's 2 types of HV batteries...
older ones with pyro fuse on the top, so pack removal is needed (higher cost, >$500)
newer style (not sure when it switched but i think mid 2016) with pyro on the bottom, so simple cost of swapping, ~$200-300
This is very helpful. Can you confirm the part number is different because I'm showing a high part cost as well with the "revised" quote.

This is very helpful. Can you confirm the part number is different because I'm showing a high part cost as well with the "revised" quote.
i don't know the part # differences, i have the new style
easy to tell by looking under the car on passenger side:
1689794286166.png

if u have this cover its new style.
if u don't, its on top (old style, more expensive to replace)

Yeah Pack 2.0 fuse is accessible without dropping the pack.

Pack part number or pyro fuse?
Part NumberHybrid Pyro Fuse Type
1090924-00-*Self-Powered
1111313-00-*Self-Powered
1111445-00-*Self-Powered
1056211-00-*Battery Powered
1077177-00-*Battery Powered
1086649-00-*Battery Powered
1112479-00-*Battery Powered
1112553-00-*Battery Powered

Yeah Pack 2.0 fuse is accessible without dropping the pack.

Pack part number or pyro fuse?
Part NumberHybrid Pyro Fuse Type
1090924-00-*Self-Powered
1111313-00-*Self-Powered
1111445-00-*Self-Powered
1056211-00-*Battery Powered
1077177-00-*Battery Powered
1086649-00-*Battery Powered
1112479-00-*Battery Powered
1112553-00-*Battery Powered
Presumably they are replacing an internal battery powered fuse with a newer one that doesn't require a battery in all cases. Does that sound right? Or is the fuse a different part number if it's on top of the pack vs. in the the cover underneath?

Fyi, I have pack number 1063792-00-A