Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery Fuse Replacement 2016 Model S 90D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Update: Tesla is telling me that they are going to charge me to "inspect" which fuse I have because it might not actually need replaced. And that's really starting to piss me off because if they are flashing a message on our screens because of a timer, without consideration to the actual hardware, and then charging us to verify what they should already have on file, that's a shakedown and a cash grab.

Presumably they are replacing an internal battery powered fuse with a newer one that doesn't require a battery in all cases. Does that sound right? Or is the fuse a different part number if it's on top of the pack vs. in the the cover underneath?

Fyi, I have pack number 1063792-00-A
Correct. The table is attached to the instruction: if it's not self powered, throw it out and find one that is.

It seems the easiest way to determine which type pack you have it is to look underneath. If v2.0 with bottom access, the inspection will likely lead to continuing the replacement process and would then not be an additional charge.

Reading through this thread, something seems strange that so many of us are getting this message suddenly, different years and models. I just got this battery fuse message 2 days ago, 2015 P85D MS with a 7/15 build date. However to make things more interesting, my HV battery was just replaced under warranty with a new 90KW (not reman) pack less than 3 months ago. On top of that my car was upgraded to a P90D with the battery replacement.

So, they replaced my old 400V 85KW pack with a new generation 350V 90KW pack, and left the same 8 year old fuse in the new pack (which I doubt would even be compatible)? Seems highly unlikely. I sense something else is going on here.

Reading through this thread, something seems strange that so many of us are getting this message suddenly, different years and models. I just got this battery fuse message 2 days ago, 2015 P85D MS with a 7/15 build date. However to make things more interesting, my HV battery was just replaced under warranty with a new 90KW (not reman) pack less than 3 months ago. On top of that my car was upgraded to a P90D with the battery replacement.

So, they replaced my old 400V 85KW pack with a new generation 350V 90KW pack, and left the same 8 year old fuse in the new pack (which I doubt would even be compatible)? Seems highly unlikely. I sense something else is going on here.
The software is generic, your pack has the upgrade already IF it was available during the reman.
Looks like they are currently targeting only a small segment so the service centers don't get swamped. X's next?

The software is generic, your pack has the upgrade already IF it was available during the reman.
Looks like they are currently targeting only a small segment so the service centers don't get swamped. X's next?

The 90KW pack that they replaced my 85KW pack with was new not a reman. The software to upgrade from the P85D to the P90D is a fee outside of warranty coverage. If not paid they lock your new pack to 85KW.

My point about getting a new pack was that I would assume the new pack came with a new fuse. My old 85KW pack isnt even in production anymore and hasnt been for a while, if an 85KW tesla needs a new pack they are getting a 90KW pack.

I‘ve been told by Tesla to disregard for a few days as the message may clear. Hard reset attempted but did not clear the message.
That’s interesting they suggested to wait. Defiantly seems as though it is happening or all teslas of our age at the same time! I was going to try a hard reset but if it is no use then maybe I’ll just wait and hope it clears before my car viewing.

I’m joining the club, 01/16 S with 1055893-00-C back, EU car. But I have different message than the OP (BMS_w176 - replace the battery fuse). Mine is BMS_u031 - battery fuse requires replacement soon. Not yet scheduled a service, just popped up yesterday.

The 90KW pack that they replaced my 85KW pack with was new not a reman. The software to upgrade from the P85D to the P90D is a fee outside of warranty coverage. If not paid they lock your new pack to 85KW.

My point about getting a new pack was that I would assume the new pack came with a new fuse. My old 85KW pack isnt even in production anymore and hasnt been for a while, if an 85KW tesla needs a new pack they are getting a 90KW pack.

Either the pack replacement service software didn't/ doesn't change the fuse timer or the fuses were built by the supplier at around the same time and/or with similar age batteries and so the pack change didn't impact expiration date. New pack might have been old stock.

All pre 2021 packs call out the same replacement fuse.

Either the pack replacement service software didn't/ doesn't change the fuse timer or the fuses were built by the supplier at around the same time and/or with similar age batteries and so the pack change didn't impact expiration date. New pack might have been old stock.

All pre 2021 packs call out the same replacement fuse.
The new pack (1014116-00-C) was installed a few months ago, and I had to wait over a month for them to get it. I doubt they had a 1014116-00-C laying around since pre 2021. Replacement packs are extremely difficult to get and most people get remanufactured packs.

This was the quote I received

Attachments

• 71CA23DD-95CA-4EEC-A09D-C2CEACA9C509.png
    71CA23DD-95CA-4EEC-A09D-C2CEACA9C509.png
    200.8 KB · Views: 360