Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery Fuse Replacement 2016 Model S 90D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had the same thing happen today- had the alert come up two days ago, scheduled service for next week, and the alert disappeared today. I messaged Tesla service to ask if the appointment is still needed, no response yet. I, likewise, had no software update today, but I recall that my car did update last week, which is probably what led to the alert. Argh!

Reactions: taimurasad
An interesting twist at the end of this article suggests that even some cars with the new powered fuse might get the error code if their car is older but has a new, not reman, battery:

My alert disappeared yesterday. I asked Tesla service if I should cancel my appointment and they recommended to cancel the appointment for now, but said that if the alert returns and stays for more than three days, to reschedule. I can't imagine why these alerts are popping up for people and then disappearing, particularly if these aren't triggered by an intermittently failing battery (as can happen in a TPMS) but by software saying that the component is likely at an age where it should be replaced.

Reactions: Scotland41
My alert disappeared yesterday. I asked Tesla service if I should cancel my appointment and they recommended to cancel the appointment for now, but said that if the alert returns and stays for more than three days, to reschedule. I can't imagine why these alerts are popping up for people and then disappearing, particularly if these aren't triggered by an intermittently failing battery (as can happen in a TPMS) but by software saying that the component is likely at an age where it should be replaced.
The alert disappears from user view i.e. screens but it remains for the service. It stays on screen for app. two days but it still needs to be serviced, so not wise to cancel the appointment. Mine disappeared too, but can see it in service menu.

Reactions: Scotland41
I have a 2018 Model S 75D and I received the BMS-u031 error alert on Tuesday, 7/18. I have a service appointment for 7/26 and they quoted me $483.10 plus tax = total $509.45. Today I noticed that the alert went away so I messaged Service through the app to see if they could run over the air diagnostics to confirm the issue...waiting for their response.

My HV battery was replaced in February 2023 under the battery warranty and I believe they replaced it with a 90KW because the max range went up about 60 miles when I got the car back.

When I go to the service appointment on Wednesday, I would like to request for the fuse to be replaced under the battery warranty (at least question them some more about the battery replacement) and would appreciate any advice on how to approach it.

@nividia7 I read earlier in this thread that you also got your battery replaced. How did you know it was a new (not reman) pack? I messaged Service earlier this week asking if the fuse would have been replaced with the HV battery and they said it was unrelated. Doesn't sound right to me. Please see screenshot of the communication. Do you have any advice for me?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230722-214026_Tesla.jpg
    Screenshot_20230722-214026_Tesla.jpg
    204.7 KB · Views: 260
I have a 2018 Model S 75D and I received the BMS-u031 error alert on Tuesday, 7/18. I have a service appointment for 7/26 and they quoted me $483.10 plus tax = total $509.45. Today I noticed that the alert went away so I messaged Service through the app to see if they could run over the air diagnostics to confirm the issue...waiting for their response.

My HV battery was replaced in February 2023 under the battery warranty and I believe they replaced it with a 90KW because the max range went up about 60 miles when I got the car back.

When I go to the service appointment on Wednesday, I would like to request for the fuse to be replaced under the battery warranty (at least question them some more about the battery replacement) and would appreciate any advice on how to approach it.

@nividia7 I read earlier in this thread that you also got your battery replaced. How did you know it was a new (not reman) pack? I messaged Service earlier this week asking if the fuse would have been replaced with the HV battery and they said it was unrelated. Doesn't sound right to me. Please see screenshot of the communication. Do you have any advice for me?

Check your HV battery replacement invoice. If the part number for the battery is 1014116-00-C then you have a new 90Kw pack. If it ends with B it will be a refurbished pack.

• Helpful
Reactions: pilotSteve
Pure theory:
Tesla realized that they did not update the fuse expiration timer on vehicles that have replacement packs. They also may have found the original timers were set to the same date regardless of when the vehicle pack was built.

So they added code to pull the pack ID from cars with the alert, checked the pack type, as-built fuse type, and build date and updated the fuse configuration on cars with self-powered fuses and the expiration dates on those with battery powered fuses.

They will ultimately run this update on all vehicles.

Again, a theory.

No-one should be paying out of pocket for this. This would be like making a seatbelt requiring a replacement at "X" amount of time, or crash bars requiring replacement at "X" amount of time, or crumple zones needing replacement at "X" amount of time. The fuse is a safety item, part of the battery, and programmed by Tesla to require replacement at their self-determined time. The battery warranty states nothing about excluding the fuse.
I had the phyro fuse replaced back in april 2023 in a TMS 75D produced in november 2017 The car still has Battery and DU warranty. After a good discussion with service manager i got away with “good will” covering the new fuse and labour. Tesla official statement is the phyro fuse is not a part of the HV battery

Attachments

• IMG_1464.jpeg
    IMG_1464.jpeg
    313.3 KB · Views: 172
  • Informative
Reactions: MattChristian