Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery Fuse Replacement 2016 Model S 90D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just checked, the BMS_U032 message went away from my 70D as well. Service center didn’t respond to my service request either. Weird.

I came across this post on a FB Tesla group:

Rumers says Tesla has fixed
a database problem, and after that the BMS_U031 message is
gone from some cars.

Sounds like it could be true, but not confirmed.

Last edited:
Here is my quote, 2017 P100DL. Error came up a couple of days ago, has not gone away. Maybe will try to argue this should be covered under battery and drivetrain warranty which my car has until 2025.
57b823d4-442d-430e-8210-d02c07cdebf5.jpeg

So this error is making my car slower?
It sounds like eventually it would.
The tweet you quoted is the impact on the fuse of the low battery (lowered trip point). His recent post says the software will start reducing power to prevent the fuse from tripping under non-fault conditions.
The warning message should appear before that power reduction starts happening.

Here is my quote, 2017 P100DL. Error came up a couple of days ago, has not gone away. Maybe will try to argue this should be covered under battery and drivetrain warranty which my car has until 2025.View attachment 958986

Looks like I will need to be paying the same ridiculous price at some point here in UK. How do they have the cheek to charge another £100 for the diagnosis!? Also 0.54 of an hour to replace fuse. 32.4 minutes. Not impressed!

Reactions: David Harvey
My fuse replacement message on my March 2023 P85D (so just out of warranty) popped up last week. Car has ca 70K miles. I spoke with the Tesla repair center in Geneva/Switzerland (who are very good). They told me that the fuse either needs to be recalibrated or replaced (verbal quote around 600 US$).
I am going on a 1500 mile trip prior to going in for the work at Tesla. They confirmed my trip was no problem at all.

We shall see....

$268.50 plus tax when it was all said and done. I have a meeting with Tesla coming up where I'm going to ask about battery warranty specifics and how they view what is covered and what isn't, specifically the pyro fuse.
My guess:
If the fix requires a >$10k pack replacement (and is not due to external physical damage), it's covered under the pack warranty. If the fix only requires replacing other parts, it falls under the basic warranty.

These prices seem inexplicably all over the map. Why does @ChaseMe pay $434.50 and @supratachophobia pay $268.50 when both are seemingly in Ohio (and paying similar hourly service rates) and both have version 2.0 batteries in their 2017 and 2016 cars?

From the posts on this thread, there is a large variability in what people are being charged for this service.

Has anyone recently had this done for a version 1.0/1.5 battery (generally 2012/2013 cars)?

Reactions: supratachophobia
These prices seem inexplicably all over the map. Why does @ChaseMe pay $434.50 and @supratachophobia pay $268.50 when both are seemingly in Ohio (and paying similar hourly service rates) and both have version 2.0 batteries in their 2017 and 2016 cars?

From the posts on this thread, there is a large variability in what people are being charged for this service.

Has anyone recently had this done for a version 1.0/1.5 battery (generally 2012/2013 cars)?
Mine is only an estimate at this point. Work is done and they are preparing a bill. Will let you know final price.

2013 Model S here. I got this bms_u031 alert on July 18th as well, and I brought it in for service yesterday, July 25th, in San Francisco. The estimate was $137, and it was “repaired” the same day. I went to pick it up and the guy said that the battery fuse was fine and they just turned off the alert. I had to pay them the $137 for “diagnosis,” or just to turn off the alert.

2013 Model S here. I got this bms_u031 alert on July 18th as well, and I brought it in for service yesterday, July 25th, in San Francisco. The estimate was $137, and it was “repaired” the same day. I went to pick it up and the guy said that the battery fuse was fine and they just turned off the alert. I had to pay them the $137 for “diagnosis,” or just to turn off the alert.
Sounds like a useless update cost you time and cash. I hope I'm wrong!

At the SC now for a Feb 2017 Model S getting the fuse replaced. Had a discussion with the service manager(?) this morning about why this is not covered under the limited battery warranty. He stated it was not part of the battery.

View attachment 959757
Dropped off my 2018 Model S 75D this morning for the fuse replacement and the service advisor told me the same thing. The fuse is separate from the HV battery. Even though my HV battery was replaced earlier this year, he said they wouldn't have changed the fuse.

Car should be done later today so I'll update with my final bill.

such bullshit. The fuse is built into the battery pack and can only be accessed via a screwed plate. It is just as much part of the battery as the contactor, and you can get it replaced under warranty. Tesla screwed up. As long as I still have warranty on the battery, Tesla should ensure that the battery works without restrictions.
If the fuse fails, it requires a <$500 repair.
If a cell, module, BMS, or internal connection fails, it requires a >$10,000 repair. That is what the warranty is for and why it exists separately from the regular vehicle warranty.