Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery Fuse Replacement 2016 Model S 90D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just received the quote back from Tesla.

They are putting in v2 of the fuse. Total cost, $208.25

I've confirmed the following internally which others have speculated or discovered:

1. The error is timer based which is why all us 2016 owners are seeing this all of the sudden.

2. The fuse is "dumb" so the car can't read the voltage from the pyro battery. Meaning everything could be fine with it, or the internal battery to the fuse could be completely dead. The fuses function is to explosivly disconnect the HV battery in the event the airbags trigger. Kinda cool.

3. The v2.0 replacement is not timer based.

4. Internal documentation confused employees where the word "battery" was mentioned, hence people getting $11k quotes. There wasn't any warning to employees that this error would be on the horizon. Internally, documentation has been updated, hence the more reasonable quotes.

5. Cost should be $113.75 for the part and half a shop hour to do. So total cost may differ slightly by region.

6. Confirmed that after 48hrs with the error, car appears to drive fine. The error message cannot be dismissed. Level 1/2/3 charging still works as expected. That includes supercharging. I'm waiting on service to respond on if there is a hard shutdown timer on the horizon as I'm a considerable distance from my home service center.

7. If you DIY, the car needs to be updated internally that you have the v2.0 pyro. This isn't done automatically and can't be done from any user exposed settings. Toolbox would be needed.
THANKS!

• Helpful
Reactions: pilotSteve
3/2017 Model S 75D, got the error last week, service got back to me and quoted me $1491.62. Pretty sure I may just wait for NHTSA to force Tesla to fix their crappy fuse. Already got screwed over by preemptively replacing my MCU1 with MCU2 due to eMMC and Tesla refusing to address the issue and then covering it but not offering anything to me because I went to MCU2. Not a happy customer at this point.

It's not a failure, it's a calendar time based warning that the battery in the pack mounted HV pyro fuse is reaching the projected end of life. All vehicles with the same manufacturing date for that part in their configuration will raise the error at the same time.

Put another way, all 2017 cars are about 6 years old.

If it has a projected end of life, why is it not listed in the service guidelines for the consumers?

Reactions: GSP and TWatcher
3/2017 Model S 75D, got the error last week, service got back to me and quoted me $1491.62. Pretty sure I may just wait for NHTSA to force Tesla to fix their crappy fuse. Already got screwed over by preemptively replacing my MCU1 with MCU2 due to eMMC and Tesla refusing to address the issue and then covering it but not offering anything to me because I went to MCU2. Not a happy customer at this point.
Why do you think NHTSA would care? It's not a safety issue unless it turns out the software estimated current limit is too high and fuses start blowing during normal operation.

If it has a projected end of life, why is it not listed in the service guidelines for the consumers?
Probably because it doesn't have a regular replacement interval and the first replacement is after 5+ years. More like brake pads than filters. Plus, the car alerts the owner when it is needed.

No one got a quote for top battery fuse replacement?

There is a different thread on this topic. Look at this estimate which I assume the $1251.70 is for the fuse being on the top of a 2014 Model S60 pack. You may want to contact the owner for more info:

Reactions: Gr8pursuit
Along the lines of airbags that don't deploy during an accident, the fuse may not blow during an accident.
My understanding from others is that, as the battery voltage drops, the threshold curent also lowers. So it will still fire if there is a true fault. Unless someone avoids exceeding the trip point and ignores the software reducing power until such time as the battery is well and truly flat...

In the event the pyro doesn't open, the contactors may be able to break a fault, if it exists. FMVSS calls out electrical isolation testing for 30MHP head on and 35MPH side impacts.

2017 model S 100D - One of the earlier ones in the UK as it was a press car - Reg date is April 2017

Reading through the battery life on these are 10yrs, making 5yrs a big of an early thing ???

I've got ANOTHER fault with mine that i'm trying to sort with the car blowing F114 leading to THC_MIA so i want to get that sorted first. Car drives fine for the last week with the BMS-U031.

Looking underneath (passenger, near wheel) and there is certainly an orange hatch on the battery - Easy enough to check with High suspension and mobile in selfie mode, no numbers, but guessing that's under the hatch!