Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery Fuse Replacement 2016 Model S 90D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Basic warranty should cover this. What we were talking about is the battery warranty which is different. My car's battery warranty is unlimited miles/8 years. The fuse is part of the battery, and thus should be covered. However, Tesla conveniently marks the fuse as a maintenance item/consumable. Tesla Service used to be amazing in 2016-2018, Ever since the model 3 came out, service is garbage, as is everything else about Tesla.
The fuse is part of the pack. That it can be replaced separately is why it is not included in the battery warranty which is for the 'only option is to replace the >$10k part' situation.

IMG_3539.jpeg

Here is my final quote for a HV fuse on the bottom of the battery (I have a 2016 MX P90D made 2/16). I asked why my labor charge was higher than the hour that it took to actually do the work and they explained that it is based on company-wide average time to do the job (FTR). I got lucky with a good tech but didn’t benefit in reduced labor cost - only in leaving the SC quicker than average customers for this job.

Not sure if I agree I should be plagued by the average if my job takes less time, but apparently this FTR concept is industry standard. They assured me I wouldn’t be charged more if the job took longer than average so I guess I would be MORE pissed if the average job was 3 hours, mine was done in 1 but I was still charged for 3. $195/hr is a lot for a shop rate so even an additional 15 minutes is damn near $50…

Am I the only one or overreacting?

Attachments

• IMG_3537.png
    IMG_3537.png
    668.5 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_3538.png
    IMG_3538.png
    573.1 KB · Views: 85
  • Informative
Reactions: aesculus
Have had the fuse warning on my console for about a week soon after most recent software upgrade. Have 2016 Model S 90D. Service estimate is $337.24 in Nor Cal. The thread has been useful but so far I've learned that: 1) sometimes it goes away 2) the prices are all over the place 3) and the risk is theoretically related to airbag deployment. Not sure whether to wait longer or pull the trigger.

View attachment 969374
Here is my final quote for a HV fuse on the bottom of the battery (I have a 2016 MX P90D made 2/16). I asked why my labor charge was higher than the hour that it took to actually do the work and they explained that it is based on company-wide average time to do the job (FTR). I got lucky with a good tech but didn’t benefit in reduced labor cost - only in leaving the SC quicker than average customers for this job.

Not sure if I agree I should be plagued by the average if my job takes less time, but apparently this FTR concept is industry standard. They assured me I wouldn’t be charged more if the job took longer than average so I guess I would be MORE pissed if the average job was 3 hours, mine was done in 1 but I was still charged for 3. $195/hr is a lot for a shop rate so even an additional 15 minutes is damn near $50…

Am I the only one or overreacting?
Be happy you only paid $444 because your fuse is on bottom of HV battery, mine is on top of battery, quoted $1200.

I just had the same message, scheduled a service appointment, and just yesterday had the work done (Littleton SC). I have a model S built in February 2017. They had to drop the battery to reach the fuse, and the work took about 8 hours as near as I can tell.

The invoice was $288.40 plus tax ($175 for parts, $113.40 for labor). So, this should be a relief for those of you who have seen the $11K cost mentioned above.

Fort Lauderdale service center is quoting $631.02 total. Labor is $407 and parts is $182.64.
Thank you! How do I know if it’s on top or bottom? Tesla sent me an estimate of $503, it’s there today since 8:30 am I just got a call at 12:55pm tech says I to accept that estimate so they can start 😳 and it should still be ready in an hour to pick up. (Not sure why he didn’t tell when I dropped it 2hrs ago, but I’ll post the final cost.

Reactions: David Harvey
Do you know if your battery fuse is on top or bottom of HV battery??
Mine was on the bottom, got 3 different quotes. Went with the lowest paid $329 with tax.

Talking to the SC, he confirmed, software update is now checking for fuse. In the past they never checked it. If the fuse blows, it causes a lot of other problems, not sure what. That is why everyone is getting this error all of a sudden.

I think what is lame is that SC labor pricing is all over the map for the same exact service.

Reactions: Gr8pursuit
Thank you! How do I know if it’s on top or bottom? Tesla sent me an estimate of $503, it’s there today since 8:30 am I just got a call at 12:55pm tech says I to accept that estimate so they can start 😳 and it should still be ready in an hour to pick up. (Not sure why he didn’t tell when I dropped it 2hrs ago, but I’ll post the final cost.

Attachments

• tesla_invoice5199b14d-a3b0-41b0-9d46-7b39fc2075f7.pdf
    961.4 KB · Views: 102
Now my front liner (bottom plastic in front) isn’t like flesh against the vehicle on each end in the front. Tech is saying they didn’t remove any front lower parts to replace the bottom fuse and I probably ran over one of those parking blocks 😳.. what? It wasn’t like that before this service, So I opened A NEW service for them to fix that..goodness our service center really sucks. I enjoy electric driving and I’m going to research some of the other luxury lines on market.

I just had the same message, scheduled a service appointment, and just yesterday had the work done (Littleton SC). I have a model S built in February 2017. They had to drop the battery to reach the fuse, and the work took about 8 hours as near as I can tell.

The invoice was $288.40 plus tax ($175 for parts, $113.40 for labor). So, this should be a relief for those of you who have seen the $11K cost mentioned above.
Are you sure they had to drop your battery?
2017 models had their fuse on the bottom.

Tesla S 2016 P90D
Tesla's warranty, on Tesla's documents concerning my warranty, it is indicated that the large battery (PACK), is guaranteed for 8 years and unlimited mileage, (PYROTECHNIC, CURPOWERED) it is a fuse with an electronic component supported by a small battery. This safety part is to cut off high voltage current in the event of an accident, or otherwise.
This component is inside the PACK, it must be changed to a new model which does not need a small battery, therefore no (planned obsolescence).

At Tesla St-Bruno, after several calls and return calls, I was told that this part is not included in the warranty, like other parts in the PACK,
I asked;
What other parts in this PACK that is not guaranteed, no answer.
If there was an exception for this part in my warranty, no answer.
In the vehicle maintenance instructions, if there is a mention to change this part after 6 years, no response,
This all seems to be a design flaw, or hidden screw that they suddenly discovered and want to charge customers for.
This is important information, it should not be hidden from the customer.
If this part is not changed in the next few months, the car could stop suddenly, which is not safe.
It's like saying a gasoline engine is guaranteed, and later during the warranty period, without any indication, I'm told that a defective valve inside the valve cover is not guaranteed.
I still love my Tesla and the Tesla concept, but I am very disappointed in the behavior of the person who made the decision to stoop to making their customers pay for this defect.

This safety part is to cut off high voltage current in the event of an accident, or otherwise.
Is it really related to an accident? (I don't think an accident will normally trigger this.) Or is it just to protect against an overcurrent event? Like a shorted out inverter, or cable. (Which I guess is possible in an accident, but normally an accident would cause the contactors to be opened as soon as the air bags go off, likely before enough damage to short a cable out occurred.)

From what I can see there is no connection to the fuse other than the power input and power output, so it can't be triggered by anything else in the vehicle.