Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery health test

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That is smart, doing it at work. I wonder if I could just plug in at one of those Apple Visitor Center chargers during the week and save myself the 100s of kWhs off my electric bill. I wonder if I am still listed as an authorized Apple Employee, I checked a couple of years after I left and my ChargePoint card was still working.

Shame it doesn't let you do it on a slow (25kW) DC charger. The test could take just a few hours at a Harley dealership.

In my experience, having done this "test" twice, I ran the HV battery down to 5% immediately prior to initiating the test.

IIRC, the rate of charge after it lingered at zero, wasn't linear. It seemed to stop a couple of times, and then resume. It might have something to do with ambient temp? I don't know,

If I do it again, for sure I'll do it at home, and allow more than 24 hours for the test...probably even 48 hours. I'll ignore it until it has arrived at 100%.

YMMV.

Reactions: JonB65
Looking at my older post, I realized I did this over a year ago. My plan was to do the test once each year. I also have the Teslogic module installed and that provides battery wear data/percentage. It will be interesting to compare the two. I'll report back after I've completed the test. Could be a few weeks.

So, the reason mine stalled is because it tripped a breaker. I left it for a few hours, then when nothing changed I went into the shop to check on it. Turns out the 50A welder plug at work was on a 30A breaker. I reset the breaker, set the car to 28A and it completed the test. I scored 89% BTW. The car is a dual motor that is the demo unit for my work (RV dealership specializing in towing with cars, vans, SUVs). It has done 45,000km of mostly highway trips and over half of those towing trailers. So this is the kind of battery abuse that would be more typical of someone that has well over 100,000km.

I'm at 89% with 38,000 miles. A little low, but my 100% range estimate is 290 miles. My perspective is this isn't too bad in real-world use. February 2021 MY AWD. Mixed use: local and highway miles. No towing. I've charged to 100% a few times, but don't let the car stay there. Depart within an hour of hitting 100%, etc.

Reactions: Pianewman