Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery health test

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
View attachment 894490

98% Health after 20.000 km and almost 1 year.
Model y performance march 2022 Berlin build
19% on supercharger and always driven +20% speed limit and first at the lights, so not saving it.
Always charged to 91-92% on AC
Scherm­afbeelding 2023-01-13 om 21.35.37.png

now without vin

Reactions: byeLT4
Found out there’s a 6% bottom buffer through the discrepancy between the readout from HV and LV systems.

IMG_2281.jpegIMG_2282.jpeg
Cancelled my test at 0% indicated / 4.2% buffer.
IMG_2288.jpeg
Realizing I don't need to know my degradation because the cost might be voiding battery warranty or contribution to unnecessary battery degradation by discharging out of normal operational range. I am only about 26k miles in with my 2022 MY LR.
Final note, it appears the test does not actually discharge the battery on its own as expected by many of you here, the proof being no audible noise generation, and verified by checking the HVAC system page in service manual (there's nothing running, no heating, no cooling), and letting the car sit for 30 minutes at 2% indicated SOC. You may have to use the doors open + max defrost method (Tesla service manual: battery pack replacement discharging procedure).
Screenshot 2023-01-22 at 1.54.30 AM.png
I do not know the behavior of this test when your buffer reaches 0 as I cancelled it at the last minute.
SW: 2022.44.30.5

I'm down to 89% after almost 3 years and just over 19K miles, not that impressed. I sent a message to Tesla service via the app but no idea if they will ever answer that. I can't even see my question is outstanding in the app.

BTW: BMS was spot on even before running the test, I occasionally discharge to around 20% and then charge to 100%, and make sure the vehicle sleeps for 8 hours or so in both states.

I'm down to 89% after almost 3 years and just over 19K miles, not that impressed. I sent a message to Tesla service via the app but no idea if they will ever answer that. I can't even see my question is outstanding in the app.

BTW: BMS was spot on even before running the test, I occasionally discharge to around 20% and then charge to 100%, and make sure the vehicle sleeps for 8 hours or so in both states.
Charging to 100% and leaving car for hours is not recommended. Your BMS calibration cycles will give you more accurate battery degradation data but may negatively affect battery health.

Do you have above 70% capacity? Yes, 89% > 70%. Tesla will do nothing.

Reactions: israndy
I have no problems with that, it would be nice if they can just answer my question though. No response at all.
Can you imagine how many of these types of E-mails they probably get daily. No wonder they don't respond. EV's are such a new paradigm, everyone who notices it doesn't charge as high as it did 6 months ago is probably E-mailing Tesla asking "What's wrong my car doesn't charge to the mileage it used to" or "Why can't I get the XXX range I was Promised"

Can you imagine how many of these types of E-mails they probably get daily. No wonder they don't respond. EV's are such a new paradigm, everyone who notices it doesn't charge as high as it did 6 months ago is probably E-mailing Tesla asking "What's wrong my car doesn't charge to the mileage it used to" or "Why can't I get the XXX range I was Promised"
Sorry, to me it's just bad customer service if you simply ignore those questions. Just send an acknowledgment and a boiler-plate reply at least. Also, it's not an email, but a request from inside the Tesla app.

Then again, customer service definitely isn't Tesla's strong point.

I have no problems with that, it would be nice if they can just answer my question though. No response at all.
What is your question about? You don’t explain that so it is assumed that your question is about why your battery is at 89% capacity in which case my answer applies. And 804son’s. They won’t take the time to reply. If you have another issue with your car, you don’t just ask the question, you create a service ticket and let them decide if it is just an answer or if they make time to see you. Could waste everyone’s time but that seems to be how they work.

I basically went in the service part of the app, clicked battery and then range. The system then seems to run some kind of diagnostics and tells me there is no problem. If you then click that you still have a concern, it allows you to type in a note (I just asked if this was normal or if there might be some more serious problem, which is impossible to tell I would think without running some more diagnostics). At that point it doesn't allow you to create a service request.

People here have expressed concern that this is NOT public facing as it requires you type 'service' into a prompt to get into this mode. I would counter that this option HAS been available before on our cars, but only in a geofenced area around SvCs and Body Shops. That they have removed the geofencing and several OS updates are come and gone, it seems they intend for us to be able to do DIY work on our cars. Yay!

Several people here have NOT been able to get it to work for them, but they have been outside the USofA so perhaps the removing of geofencing will come with time for them.

• Helpful
Reactions: alexcue
I basically went in the service part of the app, clicked battery and then range. The system then seems to run some kind of diagnostics and tells me there is no problem. If you then click that you still have a concern, it allows you to type in a note (I just asked if this was normal or if there might be some more serious problem, which is impossible to tell I would think without running some more diagnostics). At that point it doesn't allow you to create a service request.
So you asked them if it is normal for your car to be at 89% of starting capacity? When it is clearly stated in the warranty that it has to be below 70% for replacement? Again, they aren’t going to answer every person who asks these questions that are spelled out plainly in paperwork.

• Disagree
Reactions: frankvb
@frankvb Why do you disagree with what I am saying? What you suggest would lead to Tesla needing to answer questions lIke “Why is my max range 320 miles instead of 330?” “Why can I only go xxx miles on a full charge?” That is what you are asking.

You have come here where there are plenty of firsthand experiences showing that what you are experiencing is “normal” yet you still want Tesla to take the time to answer a question that you have already researched and has already been answered many places.

• Helpful
Reactions: 804son and israndy