Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery health tracking SS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It discharges it. But actually I have no idea. In any case it is a waste of time and a battery cycle. You already have your answer, and we also know health test result.
If run at like 5% SoC it would not be a waste of a cycle since you would charge up the battery anyways.

That is to say perhaps this is a 3rd data point as for battery health. Would be interesting how it lines up with the Consumption screen estimates when run like that (minimal impact with discharge speed)

Maybe next time I do a long road trip where I arrive close to 0% I’ll do the test to compare.

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
If run at like 5% SoC it would not be a waste of a cycle since you would charge up the battery anyways.

That is to say perhaps this is a 3rd data point as for battery health. Would be interesting how it lines up with the Consumption screen estimates when run like that (minimal impact with discharge speed)

Maybe next time I do a long road trip where I arrive close to 0% I’ll do the test to compare.
The battery test uses a large portion of the battery. Dunno the numbers but not just 5%, if I get the question right.

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life

Whatever you want to do seems fine. Plenty of people have done this in the past and it always works out pretty much the same.

Would love to get that constant though if you can grab that one last pic (well two pics ideally at the same time).

Here is a guy reporting that after 10 years, charging to 90% almost every day for 10 years, and after 100k miles he has 6% degradation on his Model S. What does that tell us?
At least we have established that this was bad data. (Or there used to be a big top buffer, really no idea, doesn’t matter.) Unless the guy lives at the North Pole.

The battery test uses a large portion of the battery. Dunno the numbers but not just 5%, if I get the question right.
In instructions it says to make sure to have less than 50% charge (look at screenshot I posted) and to have charger plugged in. So it seems like it drains the battery and then does a charge to determine health. So perhaps it uses only charge to measure not discharge. Otherwise they would not require less than 50% SoC, they would want as much charge as possible to do a large discharge to judge health?

I dunno how it works. Just thinking logically why they would require these settings.

So if you run at like 5% SoC then it would only use up 5% then probably charge up all the way to 100%? You would charge anyways after 5% right? So no loss in charge/cycle. Yeah battery will go up to 100% SoC but like you guys said it’s ok to have high SoC once in a while especially for a good cause👍