Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery loss when parked

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

venk25

May 7, 2022
NH
2022 Model Y Long Range
Took delivery in June 2022

- Experiencing 1-2% battery loss, when parked away from home
- have noticed this even without sentry mode
- I haven’t paid much attention during warmer months. Now, noticing this in colder months in NH.

Another point: kWh added during charge session after such trip is 50-60% more than consumption.

Pictures attached that show this (sentry mode on in this case)
I opened a service request on Nov 15th-ish with Tesla. A virtual service support person contacted me and said he ran remote diagnostics & everything checks good. He could not access the pictures I uploaded; he was just going with diagnostics over a period (think he said 2 weeks). He also sent a report, that said sent mode consumed a chunk over that period. He was not able to check specific trips. He said he will get back, but never did.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

345D62AC-CD73-4FBE-8F34-0E3DAA46E8BA.jpeg
DFD1D2D0-B34B-4E2A-83A1-8A72C1AACC3C.jpeg

751FFFB3-F5B8-4DFC-AF6F-9232C284C679.jpeg

Energy shown in trips is only what was used while the car was in Drive. All the rest isn't counted. You go to the energy graph to understand the rest. Next time look at the "Park" section of that graph before driving to see how that energy was spent... if it was spent at all. As your battery cools down some energy isn't accessible anymore. In short, a cold battery cannot give back as much energy, whatever you put into it. You can temporarily lose up to 7% to cold. At that point, the blue snowflake should show however. As the battery warms, part of that energy becomes available again. That is not a problem with the car.

Hi,

The Tesla tech is right. I don't see a problem. It's below freezing according to the temperature on your screen. Besides what is said in the posts above... Your car will automatically heat the HV battery when parked. You will probably here the pump running sometimes. It consumes power. The HV battery is maintained at a certain temperature above freezing. I've even noticed it melts snow under it which is kind of a nice thing on my driveway.

He didn't say how long he was parked but we all experience something like this in winter.

Venk25: Welcome to the forum. Lots of useful information here.

You can get an immediate answer to most newbie questions by searching (I prefer doing an "advanced" search"). If you type in "battery drain" or "battery loss", there are several dozen threads, some of them very detailed, that address you question. I've learned a ton of info here, without having to start another thread. ;)

Trip = the car knows where you're going, uses elevation information, wind, your recent driving speeds to plan how you'll spend energy on your trip. As you drive, compares energy spent with the plan.
Rated = doesn't know where you're going so just shows energy consumption as EPA rating constant for your car. As you drive, shows how it differs from EPA.

Reactions: nate704
I'm seeing this also as the car has been in the garage for a bit since I'm doing some minor detail work + waiting for my appointment to bring it to a shop for PPF. In any case, seeing about 1%-2% within a couple of days. I do hear the car doing stuff, like updating, clunking noises, etc.

Check to see if you have any apps connected to pull telemetry.
I don’t have any apps besides ABRP connected. I didn’t open Tesla app to check status while parked.

I noticed that logging in to Tesla from ABRP caused my battery to drain, kept it from going to deep sleep. I removed the link so ABRP no longer got telemetry from the car and it got better.
Good point. I had it linked in ABRP. I’ve now unlinked it. I will check the next time I park. I had this link for ~4 months though and didn’t notice such loss before.

Energy shown in trips is only what was used while the car was in Drive. All the rest isn't counted.
Ok. It then means I lost 8 kWh to “others” (BMS & Sentry mode potentially?) in the ~9 hours it was parked 😕. Is that expected? Temperature was 37-31 F that day.

You go to the energy graph to understand the rest. Next time look at the "Park" section of that graph before driving to see how that energy was spent... if it was spent at all.
OK, I checked "Park" tab and I don't recall seeing anything significant. I will check Park and Consumptions tabs closely next time.

Hi,

The Tesla tech is right. I don't see a problem. It's below freezing according to the temperature on your screen. Besides what is said in the posts above... Your car will automatically heat the HV battery when parked. You will probably here the pump running sometimes. It consumes power. The HV battery is maintained at a certain temperature above freezing. I've even noticed it melts snow under it which is kind of a nice thing on my driveway.
Agreed, it was cold the times I noticed this. And, I understand BMS will consume power. The interesting thing is, there was no such significant loss under similar weather conditions, while unplugged at home, with and without sentry mode. I will test it again.

He didn't say how long he was parked but we all experience something like this in winter.
I was parked for ~9 hours. I know the car will shutdown stuff when the battery hits a certain percentages (20% for sentry) - but at this rate, the car will come to bare minimum in about 5 days :oops:. Is that the consensus?

Tesla could keep the battery indicator at exactly the charged percentage if they wanted to, reflecting the amount of kWh stored in it. Maybe that's what others do... You would charge to 60% and continue to see 60% the next morning even when it's cold. However once you start driving you would see your percentage left go down faster than you expect and might not understand why. I don't see how this is better than upfront showing you how much the car thinks it can get out of the battery. That is NOT vampire loss.
Yes, when the car is awake it spends significant energy, more than most other car manufacturers. I would venture that no other manufacturer does as much as Tesla in that situation. They probably just shut down like ICE cars. Once the car sleeps however, it's gotten very reasonable.