Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery Management System (BMS) Bootloader Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just was at the service center for the first time (for some minor list of things) and I noticed on the paperwork that the first thing listed was BMS firmware update. They would not have said anything I don’t think if I had not noticed it. I should have asked what the update was for / resolves. It kind of feels like Tesla has been a bit quiet about this update. Perhaps they just don’t want a crush of folks coming in all at once demanding the update.

Also of note: Basically immediately after I pulled into the Service Center drop off bay it popped up offering me a software upgrade.

I wonder if you really wanted new firmware faster if anyone can just come lurk around the service center outside and get the update immediately?

• Informative
Reactions: neroden and Carrera
I wonder if you really wanted new firmware faster if anyone can just come lurk around the service center outside and get the update immediately?

It used to work that way but now you have to have an open service ticket.

I should have asked what the update was for / resolves. It kind of feels like Tesla has been a bit quiet about this update.

I can tell you: "This release contains minor improvements and bug fixes." just like most of their releases. ;)

This has me concerned because I am 400 miles and 3 1/2 hours drive from a service center. Either I make a seven-hour drive plus the time it takes them to get the car in and work on it, or the car gets flat-bedded to Seattle and back, and there could be days delay in scheduling the return trip. Grump!

Reactions: neroden
I spoke with a mobile service guy, because I have an appointment later this month for some non-critical items. He said that currently the BMS update can only be done at SC because of their geofencing security measures. And that apparently they made that part of the car a little too secure. He said that Tesla is working on making it so that a mobile ranger can apply the update anywhere, and that this fix is expected any day.

• Informative
Picked up my M3 July 19th so do not know if my car has the new BMS bootloader updated but I feel pretty sure most of the Vampire drain is from the cooling pump running randomly for many hours (maybe an update to the BMS bootloader would fix the pump running?). Sometimes the pump does not run for two days, other times it runs several time a day. Since they did not install a very large cover on the bottom of the car, i can easily hear the pump running. With the cover installed, I do not think it would be loud enough to easily hear. Please see details related to this by reading the following thread.

Tesla

This has me concerned because I am 400 miles and 3 1/2 hours drive from a service center. Either I make a seven-hour drive plus the time it takes them to get the car in and work on it, or the car gets flat-bedded to Seattle and back, and there could be days delay in scheduling the return trip. Grump!

Or maybe wait until they build a new service center near you? LoL, but really, if you're not seeing issues, you don't need to worry about it. I'm betting the update is to fix the vampire drain, but I wouldn't rush it because it might be a limited rollout to ensure the software they released is stable before it becomes a mass roll out.

• Funny

I am impressed that you can do 400 miles in 3.5 hours!

Aww... It was more fun believing you could do 400 miles in 3.5 hours. That would be AH-MAZING! ;)

I think the car is capable of driving 114 mph. I certainly could not drive it at that speed, but maybe a race-car driver could. But you can't use AP faster than 5 mph over the posted limit. And I'm far too lazy to drive the car myself when it can do it for me. :) (When set to km it will go 10 km over the posted limit. So in Canada I could go 6 mph over the limit in AP.)

I think the car is capable of driving 114 mph. I certainly could not drive it at that speed, but maybe a race-car driver could. But you can't use AP faster than 5 mph over the posted limit. And I'm far too lazy to drive the car myself when it can do it for me. :) (When set to km it will go 10 km over the posted limit. So in Canada I could go 6 mph over the limit in AP.)
??? I routinely set the AP to 20 over the posted limits on CA freeways. At 5 over, you would probably get rear ended in the first mile! Has anyone else seen a max of 5 over the posted limit?

Reactions: hoang51
It gives me a message saying that autosteer speed is limited to X, where X is 10 km/hr (if I'm using km) or 5 mph (if I'm using miles) over whatever it thinks the posted limit is. When I enter a space with a lower limit, it slows down, and gives me that message, and if I try to set a higher speed it won't go higher, and it gives me that message. I'm on 2018.28.1.

Is there maybe a setting you can change to raise that amount?

It gives me a message saying that autosteer speed is limited to X, where X is 10 km/hr (if I'm using km) or 5 mph (if I'm using miles) over whatever it thinks the posted limit is. When I enter a space with a lower limit, it slows down, and gives me that message, and if I try to set a higher speed it won't go higher, and it gives me that message. I'm on 2018.28.1.

Is there maybe a setting you can change to raise that amount?

On many roads, Tesla limits Autosteer to 5 mph over the speed limit (which is especially annoying when they have the wrong speed limit on the screen), however, on "freeways and highways where access is limited by entry and exit ramps", it does not have that limit (at which point, I believe it is limited to 90 mph by TACC).

Also, auto lane change only works on those same restricted-access roads.

On many roads, Tesla limits Autosteer to 5 mph over the speed limit (which is especially annoying when they have the wrong speed limit on the screen), however, on "freeways and highways where access is limited by entry and exit ramps", it does not have that limit (at which point, I believe it is limited to 90 mph by TACC).

Also, auto lane change only works on those same restricted-access roads.

That explains it! Thank you. Much of my trip was on secondary highways. Oddly, Tesla seems to consider the Trans-Canada Highway, which is restricted access except through towns and cities, not to be in the restricted-access category, because there are indeed portions where the speed limit is clearly posted as 100 km/hr but the car thinks it's 90 kph. Fortunately, while I'd have gone 103 kph, I was satisfied to go 100, which the car allowed.

I think it's using Google Maps, so I suppose the fault lies with Google rather than with Tesla.

I had wondered why auto lane change wasn't working. I knew it didn't work on surface streets. But it also wasn't working on the Trans-Canada.

I had wondered why auto lane change wasn't working. I knew it didn't work on surface streets. But it also wasn't working on the Trans-Canada.

If you don’t see lane lines on the screen for other lanes adjacent to the one you’re currently in then auto lane change will not work.

Anyway, isn’t this thread supposed to be about the BMS update?

Took delivery in June, VIN 296XX,

Had the car in for service on other issues 2 weeks ago and this was done when I picked the car up.

loIPrek.png

Anyway, isn’t this thread supposed to be about the BMS update?

Yeah, sorry. I think we got off track because I commented on how far I am from a service center where they could do the update.

I don't have any particular concern about vampire drain except on that trip, where I had to leave the car unplugged in the sun in very hot weather. But if there's a bug causing the drain, the bug should be fixed while the car is still under warranty, even though it's not causing problems at the moment.

I need to bring my Model 3 in for some paintless dent removal (to remove a dent caused by a wonky door motor in my Model X) and I inquired about having the BMS update done at the same time. According to the SC, the Model 3 already has the update. Since it was a 4/23 delivery (VIN 128XX) that's never been in for service, I assume they're either doing the update OTA or they're simply mistaken.
It seems my original skepticism about their claim that the BMS was already updated was well founded. When I did bring it in for the dent removal, they said they'd also be updating the BMS firmware.

• Informative
Reactions: Jedi2155
For what it's worth, since the BMS update, charged to 80% when I got home and unplugged. 24h later and 0 miles of range lost. It was garaged, but in the same time the Model X lost about 5 miles of range while plugged in.

I never really paid any attention to vampire drain on the Model 3 prior to the BMS update, so I don't think I was experiencing any major loss, but it was an interesting data point.