Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery overheating

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2014 P85D here, was pushing the car hard up the mountain today and have never seen the car detune itself so much. I kept into the throttle and it was pathetic how slow it felt at only 150kw max! I've seen itself detune to 250 for short periods but I mean, it was stuck at 150 for a good 5 minutes.

I pulled in like a floored yugo and immediately plugged into the notoriously slow SC and still got 70kw and left with a "cooled" battery after charging, which I found strange.

But yeah, the detuning is a real thing but it takes consistent very hard driving. Was kind of fun to see it's limits.

Attachments

• IMG_20190717_165613.jpg
    IMG_20190717_165613.jpg
    351.2 KB · Views: 177
  • Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
Is "Range Mode" turned on? If so, turn it off and leave it off. The BMS is far less aggressive at temperature management with range mode on. I've had exactly what you had happen after hard driving 5 or 6 times. After turning range mode off it never happened again.

Is "Range Mode" turned on? If so, turn it off and leave it off. The BMS is far less aggressive at temperature management with range mode on. I've had exactly what you had happen after hard driving 5 or 6 times. After turning range mode off it never happened again.
Did you mean bms is less aggressive with range mode off?

So I have noticed it still happens, even with range mode OFF. It's hotter than usual here in AZ right now. I asked the Service technician about my cars AC service history and he said it's never been done on my car (2014!). I guess I never noticed since I like it warmer than most people. I don't have tinted windows so that doesn't help. I just prefer the visibility and showroom stock look...

I have an appointment on the 31st to get the recharge, desiccant bag, and cabin filter done. They are also going to check the noise isolating shield and brackets for compressor since I'm getting excessive vibration and noise.

Hopefully this all improves my battery cooling and passenger comfort...