Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery packs, a decision factor?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a SR+ and a M3P on order. I was weighing between a second SR+ and a M3P, decided on the P because of performance (duh) and a better sound system.

Knowing there’s a different battery pack between SR+ and the rest, it got me thinking if the battery pack is a decision factor to one’s purchase?

I see LFP becoming the ’diesel’ in the EV world, less degradation, better thermal stability, can charge to 100%, a simple form of electrifying compared to LG/Panasonic packs. Having experienced the LFP batteries, I prefer it in my P if there’s a choice.

LFPs are the obvious choice for Australia.

the advange is great heat resistance, great protection from degradation, ability to charge to 100% all the time.
The disadvantage is poor cold performance. Australia doesnt get cold, even when you guys think its cold here.

The LR battery turns very quickly into a SR battery here anyway thanks to degradation.

LFPs are the obvious choice for Australia.

the advange is great heat resistance, great protection from degradation, ability to charge to 100% all the time.
The disadvantage is poor cold performance. Australia doesnt get cold, even when you guys think its cold here.

The LR battery turns very quickly into a SR battery here anyway thanks to degradation.

FWIW - and it's probably not a lot - think about resale in say 6 - 8 years.
Any battery is going to degrade to some extent. Anyone looking to buy a used EV will obviously have his intended range in mind and many won't want a huge range, just the right price point. But you don't want to be offering a car for sale with a lowish range and that will depend on what you get to start with. Here in Oz buyers will probably be looking at a longer range than elsewhere so I would go for the largest battery now.

Attachments

• 5C31A097-6EA8-4305-8A16-31EDDBB0940B.jpeg
    5C31A097-6EA8-4305-8A16-31EDDBB0940B.jpeg
    93.5 KB · Views: 166
Ah OK, suggest your installer fitted the wrong label kit, though happy to be wrong.

Possibly, although it has always charged to 100% (in fact I don’t know that there’s a way to limit the maximum charge?) every day as is the normal recommendation for a LFP pack.