Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery Range Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Jkevlar

Oct 30, 2020
US
Hi i am new to EVs. I have a 2018 Model S 75D and started the trip with 89% battery. Temp outside is 41 deg F. When I left I didn't preheat the battery as I didn't think it was that cold out and the car is stored in a garage. The trip was about 52 miles round trip. When I got back to the garage I had 57% battery left. Is this normal?
20210228_160356.jpg
20210228_160412 (2).jpg

Yes. Cold battery plus your consumption chart showing avg of ~400Wh/mi, with much time close to 500 it looks like. Assume you had the heater on since it was only 41degs out? Was it raining? Any hills? Heavy foot? :) All that adds to the higher consumption rate.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
Hi i am new to EVs. I have a 2018 Model S 75D and started the trip with 89% battery. Temp outside is 41 deg F. When I left I didn't preheat the battery as I didn't think it was that cold out and the car is stored in a garage. The trip was about 52 miles round trip. When I got back to the garage I had 57% battery left. Is this normal?
View attachment 640781 View attachment 640782
Yes, it's quite normal for that to happen. Now despite the nominal temperature outside, even a little bit of heat does cause some stress to the battery, thus draining it of its life and range subsequently.
Having said that, you might as well preheat the battery the next time you move out even if its 41 deg F, as it only takes up to 45 minutes, and you wouldn't even have to precondition the battery, even if the charge is at a lower state of tune.

Yeah, probably. People just aren't familiar with this, but any heating of the cabin and/or battery is pretty heavy energy use. And see that in your travel display, where it shows 407 wh/mile and 362 wh/mile? That's a consumption figure--kind of like miles per gallon, but it's the inverse of that, where it's energy used per distance. Europe uses those where it's liters of gas per 100 km. Anyway, on the official EPA efficiency ratings, your car would be at less than 300 watt hours / mile. Since you're running around 362 and 407, you're just consuming more energy because of that heating.

Yes, it's quite normal for that to happen. Now despite the nominal temperature outside, even a little bit of heat does cause some stress to the battery, thus draining it of its life and range subsequently.
Wellll...I wouldn't say something as scary sounding as "stress". It's not bad for the battery. It's just higher consumption.
Having said that, you might as well preheat the battery the next time you move out even if its 41 deg F, as it only takes up to 45 minutes, and you wouldn't even have to precondition the battery, even if the charge is at a lower state of tune.
I wouldn't even bother with preheating it. It's leaving from a garage. It's just going to be doing some heating as you drive and have higher energy use than the EPA levels, which you would be closer to in the summer. It's just something to know and not be worried about.

The good news is driving with a heavy foot doesn't really impact your energy consumption the way it does in a gas car. That is, unless you're driving so aggressively to warrant using the mechanical brakes to slow down. Regen makes a big difference. So blitz away from as many stoplights as you like - just try to avoid using the mechanical brakes if you can plan for it.

I just got a new battery pack. After Tesla agreed I was using way too many miles per trip. They found bad module in the pack.
BUT, usage and range are an illusion unless u keep very good notes. I have 175k miles, been in over 25 states. Super charged a few thousand times. Run out of juice twice.
First, Tesla told me the pack must be maintained at about 70 degrees for best performance. So either way the cooler/warmer system is running. Second, it also depends upon how much u have turned on? Even the mileage tripper uses juice. Third, as you said, driving habits might kill it. Short trips I break 100 easy on I95. Long trips I never exceed 73. Fourth, the 12v battery is kept at 14v by the regulator using pack juice. I got this lecture when my car died on 95 one day, they never figured out why? But it was down to 12.5v and shut car off. I just changed out the original 2012 12v battery, because I got the message it was bad.
Bottom line, keep reallly good notes in a log book. That way u have a reference point. Good luck.