Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery Replacement Cost

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello Everyone,
I have 2013 Model S 85 with 97000 miles. Just got message ‘Maximum battery charge level reduced’ so took it to SC and get quoted with $15000 remanufactured 90kwh battery with only 1 year warranty.
I thought Tesla offer 4 year / 50000 miles whichever comes first but the SC told me it’s a part so it only come with 1 year warranty so is it true? Your help is highly appreciated 🙏🏼

Hello Everyone,
I have 2013 Model S 85 with 97000 miles. Just got message ‘Maximum battery charge level reduced’ so took it to SC and get quoted with $15000 remanufactured 90kwh battery with only 1 year warranty.
I thought Tesla offer 4 year / 50000 miles whichever comes first but the SC told me it’s a part so it only come with 1 year warranty so is it true? Your help is highly appreciated 🙏🏼
You aren’t getting a 4yr/50K warranty on a remanufactured pack.

Maybe they offer that on a new one, but you’re looking at $20K+ there.

I’ll say it again, out of warranty Tesla’s are not worth it to hang on to. See if you can get some help from a 3rd party and then dump that thing.

Upvote 0
I have a 2013 S85 with 100k miles and had the same error. I was quoted a remanufactured 85 battery for 11k or a new 90 battery for 22k plus suspension adjustment. I was told both would have a 4yr/50k warranty.

I chose the 85 and my car has been in service for 5 weeks waiting for the pack to be installed.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Prove it? Tesla’s own warranty document is quite clear, and what’s in writing is all that matters.

OP, take anything glide posts with a huge grain of salt, his posts are overwhelmingly filled with misinformation and half-truths in pursuit of his negative narrative.

Upvote 0

Maybe they offer that on a new one, but you’re looking at $20K+ there.

I’ll say it again, out of warranty Tesla’s are not worth it to hang on to. See if you can get some help from a 3rd party and then dump that thing.
For $20k getting a new battery is a ****ton cheaper than buying a new Tesla, and a new battery will allow the car to retain its free supercharging and free connectivity, neither of which come with a new car. Also AP1 is better than the current FSD crap

Reactions: AustinP and Rocky_H
Upvote 0
For $20k getting a new battery is a ****ton cheaper than buying a new Tesla, and a new battery will allow the car to retain its free supercharging and free connectivity, neither of which come with a new car. Also AP1 is better than the current FSD crap
If you have a car that’s worth $30K, which is generous for a 2013, you don’t spend 66% of its value on repairs.

Or maybe some people do. People do all sorts of stupid things.

Upvote 0
If you have a car that’s worth $30K, which is generous for a 2013, you don’t spend 66% of its value on repairs.

Or maybe some people do. People do all sorts of stupid things.
Only in our throw-away society would someone who's otherwise happy with their car other than needing a repair be called "stupid" for wanting to fix it rather than using it as an excuse to rush out and buy a $100k car that will only tank in value due to depreciation.

$15,000/$20,000<$100,000

Math checks out.

Better yet, why not have one of the many well-known entities out there capable of doing so repair it for far, far, FAR less? Why does everything consist of an extinction-level even these days? Do you also see an engine replacement in an ICE car as the only possibly solution for an overdue spark plug change?

Generous? Have you seen the used car market right now? This is the WRONG time to try to buy anything at a decent price which also makes his 2013 more valuable as well.

For all of the reasons I just stated, your advice seems pretty "stupid" to me but I won't go that far to call it that because that's just rude. You could learn a lesson about being more civil to others @glide.

Upvote 0
Only in our throw-away society would someone who's otherwise happy with their car other than needing a repair be called "stupid" for wanting to fix it rather than using it as an excuse to rush out and buy a $100k car that will only tank in value due to depreciation.

$15,000/$20,000<$100,000

Math checks out.

Better yet, why not have one of the many well-known entities out there capable of doing so repair it for far, far, FAR less? Why does everything consist of an extinction-level even these days? Do you also see an engine replacement in an ICE car as the only possibly solution for an overdue spark plug change?

Generous? Have you seen the used car market right now? This is the WRONG time to try to buy anything at a decent price which also makes his 2013 more valuable as well.

For all of the reasons I just stated, your advice seems pretty "stupid" to me but I won't go that far to call it that because that's just rude. You could learn a lesson about being more civil to others @glide.
Thank you

Upvote 0

$15,000/$20,000<$100,000

Math checks out.

I guess someone doesn’t understand how math, depreciation, and more importantly, advances in technology work.

Which is understandable coming from someone bemoaning throwaway culture when Tesla’s are designed to be exactly that.

Upvote 0
I guess someone doesn’t understand how math, depreciation, and more importantly, advances in technology work.

Which is understandable coming from someone bemoaning throwaway culture when Tesla’s are designed to be exactly that.
The only person here who doesn't seem to understand basic math is the one calling others "stupid" in this thread.

Upvote 0
The only person here who doesn't seem to understand basic math is the one calling others "stupid" in this thread.
I see you also have an issue with reading comprehension. I did not call anyone stupid. I said people do stupid things.

And paying 66% of your vehicles value towards a repair falls under that category.

Not sure why you’re trying to defend this choice other than “because Tesla”.

Upvote 0

But then add the cost of a DU replacement and there are plenty of used model S's out there for $35K.

Upvote 0
But then add the cost of a DU replacement and there are plenty of used model S's out there for $35K.
The drive unit isn't part of the battery if one fails it doesn't mean the other failed too.

That's like saying you have to replace your transmission because your clutch is worn out. Or you need a new rear differential because the main rear oil seal on the engine is leaking and needs replacement.

In an ICE car there is no reason to not keep driving it for several hundred thousand miles unless you don't take care of it. The same rule applies to a Tesla, take care of *sugar* and it will last.

I just finished replacing the oil seals on my front drive unit. This stopped the oil leak and will allow my DU to last longer and keep on rolling.

If my battery fails after this December (2022) then it's all out of pocket but as I said earlier buying a $20k battery is a far better option than buying a new to me Tesla or a new Tesla for 3 times or more that price. If you disagree so be it but if you do you're not a savvy consumer.

Upvote 0
The drive unit isn't part of the battery if one fails it doesn't mean the other failed too.

That's like saying you have to replace your transmission because your clutch is worn out. Or you need a new rear differential because the main rear oil seal on the engine is leaking and needs replacement.

In an ICE car there is no reason to not keep driving it for several hundred thousand miles unless you don't take care of it. The same rule applies to a Tesla, take care of *sugar* and it will last.

I just finished replacing the oil seals on my front drive unit. This stopped the oil leak and will allow my DU to last longer and keep on rolling.

If my battery fails after this December (2022) then it's all out of pocket but as I said earlier buying a $20k battery is a far better option than buying a new to me Tesla or a new Tesla for 3 times or more that price. If you disagree so be it but if you do you're not a savvy consumer.
I'll line up, cash in hand, for EVERY SINGLE 2014 P85D that needs a new HV battery pack that I can buy for $100 because the current owner can't see any value in it and wants to go buy a brand new Plaid for $130k. If anyone thinks fixing their Model S is "stupid" and wants to get out from under, just let me know.

Upvote 0